Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Making the leap: Dwayne Allen

Dustin

Really? I'm excited about his potential, but Gronk is young. Jimmy Graham is young. Is he already better than them? I don't know that I'm there yet.

I think by year's end we have two of the best young TE'S in all of football( maybe fleener, cunningham or allen).

I'm a huge Allen fan.  He could be a very complete TE with his blocking ability, good route running, and good hands.  but I think it will be hard to compete with guys like Gronk and Graham.  And people seem to want to sleep on Fleener because he wasn't as involved last year due to his injury.  I think Allen is the better TE, but Fleener could be an absolute monster in the red zone, given his 6'6" frame

One reason Allen fell is that he was viewed as a high floor, lower ceiling (relatively speaking) TE than TE's who go in the first 2 rounds. 

That's not to say he won't improve, but he may well be closer to the finished product than the athletic freaks of the position. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as that still leaves him as an excellent all-around TE- just not a gamebreaker like Gronk.

Bruce Arians failed to use Fleener the right way. Coby is a straight down the line runner with good size and speed, he's not a blocker. He has a gift, he just needs to work on his blocking. He belongs running his routes down the field creating mis-matches all over the field. He needs to become a better blocker, but Pep knows Fleener and how to use him. Hell have a good year two if he can stay on the field.