Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WHY Painter Must show he can have a good game tonight

bayone

WRITTEN BY NATE DUNLEVY | 03 OCTOBER 2011 of 18 to 88

Painter is playing the 31st ranked pass defense in the NFL. This means that it's not going to get any easier. If he can't move the ball against the Bucs, there is no reason to assume that he'll improve in coming weeks. why

Painter has it on a platter tonight. The players back him. He's playing a terrible pass defense. If he plays bad tonight, the Colts should not go back to him unless forced to.

http://www.18to88.co...plays-well.html

WRITTEN BY NATE DUNLEVY | 03 OCTOBER 2011 of 18 to 88

Painter is playing the 31st ranked pass defense in the NFL. This means that it's not going to get any easier. If he can't move the ball against the Bucs, there is no reason to assume that he'll improve in coming weeks. why

Painter has it on a platter tonight. The players back him. He's playing a terrible pass defense. If he plays bad tonight, the Colts should not go back to him unless forced to.

http://www.18to88.co...plays-well.html

I Disagree with that. If painter has a bad game tonight they shouldn't bench him. It might take a couple of games for him to get it going. Just because their pass defense is ranked so poorly after 3 weeks doesn't mean if painter can't play well against them he can't play well against any team.

Just an inane comment. Typical Stampede declarative confrontational nonsense. No-one is making a definitive determination about a young QBs ability based on one game. Heck, how many games did Orlovsky start (and lose) and he is still being given serious consideration.

I really doubt Painter is not going to be given 2 games in a row at least to show what he can do - the Bucs and the Chiefs games. On a short week, the last QB to have taken most of the reps is the one you go with in the regular season (unless he is hurt). I do believe Painter will beat the Chiefs because the run will be a bigger factor vs the Chiefs than the Bucs relatively. Passing vs the Bucs is the way to go, running vs the Chiefs is the way to go. If I had to pick a game for Painter's first win, I would have to bet it would be the Chiefs because the reliance on Painter's arm might be much lesser in that game, IMO.

I really doubt Painter is not going to be given 2 games in a row at least to show what he can do - the Bucs and the Chiefs games. On a short week, the last QB to have taken most of the reps is the one you go with in the regular season (unless he is hurt). I do believe Painter will beat the Chiefs because the run will be a bigger factor vs the Chiefs than the Bucs relatively. Passing vs the Bucs is the way to go, running vs the Chiefs is the way to go. If I had to pick a game for Painter's first win, I would have to bet it would be the Chiefs because the reliance on Painter's arm might be much lesser in that game, IMO.

I don't agree - considering that Painter has an excellent arm and a far better grasp of the Colts passing offense than anyone but Peyton. The Colts NEED to pass the ball in order to win - they just better not wait until 3rd and long to do it or they will be begging for problems. I would expect Peyton (for one) to be lobbying for a game plan that will exploit TBs weaknesses, not a game plan that will cover up what fans perceive to be Painter's weaknesses. And I expect Painter to be able to pull it off. The question is whether he can minimize the big mistakes.

Chiefs just held Peterson to 80 some odd yards on 23 carries, so running is not the way to go against the Chiefs. I do agree, against the Bucs the passing game needs to do well. In my weekly "Things to watch for" I mentioned the that in the Atlanta game, the Falcons had the WRs and TEs running free a lot of the game, Stafford was just off on a lot his throws. If he would have had any accuracy in that game, the Falcons would have won easily.

Chiefs just held Peterson to 80 some odd yards on 23 carries, so running is not the way to go against the Chiefs. I do agree, against the Bucs the passing game needs to do well. In my weekly "Things to watch for" I mentioned the that in the Atlanta game, the Falcons had the WRs and TEs running free a lot of the game, Stafford was just off on a lot his throws. If he would have had any accuracy in that game, the Falcons would have won easily.

That could very well be because no one respects McNabb and their passing game too, a reasonable extrapolation, I would think.

Overall, yes, passing the ball has to become efficient to force teams to back off the line of scrimmage. Otherwise, they just keep blitzing or stuffing the run for losses till you prove otherwise and connect on a few passes to force them to back off. Ravens did that to Sanchez and the Jets never tried to connect on anything up field to make the Ravens back off, similar concept when Ds do not respect your passing game. Look for Garcon and Wayne to be most active to help out their QB.

IMO, we need to stop calling those short screen passes too often and try more passes up field. The Bucs have a lot invested in their D-line with a lot of high picks, so they have a good rotation for their run D, just lack in the pass rush department right now and we need to take full advantage of that. The Bucs will blitz more than we expect.

On the offensive side, Josh Freeman takes it up a notch in the 4th qtr. (based on how he has been playing) and the Bucs' grind-it-out-theme will be something to watch for once they get to the 4th qtr.

I plan on just sitting back and enjoy the game. The Colts are what they are and if we are going to say player X must do this or that to prove something I just don't get it. Watch the game, enjoy the game and relize that we are just not going to compete overall this season and understand it's what it is.

That could very well be because no one respects McNabb and their passing game too, a reasonable extrapolation, I would think.

That's true but do you think the Chiefs are going to respect Painter and the passing game? They are going to dare Painter to pass.
Overall, yes, passing the ball has to become efficient to force teams to back off the line of scrimmage. Otherwise, they just keep blitzing or stuffing the run for losses till you prove otherwise and connect on a few passes to force them to back off. Ravens did that to Sanchez and the Jets never tried to connect on anything up field to make the Ravens back off, similar concept when Ds do not respect your passing game. Look for Garcon and Wayne to be most active to help out their QB.
I don't think they will work extra hard to help Painter, but I do think they will get open quite a bit in this game.
IMO, we need to stop calling those short screen passes too often and try more passes up field. The Bucs have a lot invested in their D-line with a lot of high picks, so they have a good rotation for their run D, just lack in the pass rush department right now and we need to take full advantage of that. The Bucs will blitz more than we expect.
They do have an awesome dline, but their LBers, especially the middle LBers are mediocre at best, that is why I think the Colts will be able to run the ball effectively against them. I don't think there will be any huge runs because Sean Jones and Barber are both good in run support but I do think we will see consistent gains of 4+ yards.
On the offensive side, Josh Freeman takes it up a notch in the 4th qtr. (based on how he has been playing) and the Bucs' grind-it-out-theme will be something to watch for once they get to the 4th qtr.

Between last year and this year I've watched Freeman about 4 times is all. But he has yet to impress me. He is good at throwing on the move, but he's not good in the pocket and he's not good under pressure.

I don't agree - considering that Painter has an excellent arm and a far better grasp of the Colts passing offense than anyone but Peyton. The Colts NEED to pass the ball in order to win - they just better not wait until 3rd and long to do it or they will be begging for problems. I would expect Peyton (for one) to be lobbying for a game plan that will exploit TBs weaknesses, not a game plan that will cover up what fans perceive to be Painter's weaknesses. And I expect Painter to be able to pull it off. The question is whether he can minimize the big mistakes.

I definitely agree with this, the colts wont forget who they are.. a passing team first and with painter they can run the offense just a bit more like it usually is.

This is an overly conclusive assertion of Painter's situation. It's not "live-or-die" tonight for him; I wouldn't put that on anyone at this point.

Secondly, the Bucs have Adrian Clayborn, who's starting to emerge as a real threat. If he gets lined up over Linkenbach, he may end up in Painter's grill all night.

This is an overly conclusive assertion of Painter's situation. It's not "live-or-die" tonight for him; I wouldn't put that on anyone at this point.

Secondly, the Bucs have Adrian Clayborn, who's starting to emerge as a real threat. If he gets lined up over Linkenbach, he may end up in Painter's grill all night.

Just like woodley right? ppl need to stop under estimating Link, he isnt that bad.

Well I might be the only one to argee here lol but after seeing what he has done or should I say what little he has done for the team thus far and yes Im talking pre season games too, I think its just about do or die time for the man from here on out, after all if I were him I would know my time in the NFL could be running very short at this point without steppin up in a big way. All that said Im not one thats expecting much this season BUT Im still downing every gut wrenching 151 proof snap and chasing with plenty of beer :cheers: ........hoping for the best what ever that might be.

Well I might be the only one to argee here lol but after seeing what he has done or should I say what little he has done for the team thus far and yes Im talking pre season games too, I think its just about do or die time for the man from here on out, after all if I were him I would know my time in the NFL could be running very short at this point without steppin up in a big way. All that said Im not one thats expecting much this season BUT Im still downing every gut wrenching 151 proof snap and chasing with plenty of beer :cheers: ........hoping for the best what ever that might be.

I'm utterly mystified as to why some people talk about him as if he has been nothing but a bitter disappointment and this is his LAST gasp opportunity. In actuality he has demonstrated considerable progress and maturity, allowing him to now earn his FIRST opportunity.

Everyone who wants Luck talks about the prospective benefit to him from sitting behind Peyton for three years.Well what do you think Painter has been doing? Why is it taken for granted that Luck - "the best QB prospect in 14 years" needs time to mature, but that Painter - a sixth round project - should have come out fully formed?

The guy has tons of talent. We may well have to weather a higher than normal volume of mistakes - that's what QBs do when they are getting their feet wet - but he will get better with time. Pulling the plug after one game would be a waste of the teams time and resources and help no-one and nothing.

painter will do fine if the o-line gives him some help

I'm utterly mystified as to why some people talk about him as if he has been nothing but a bitter disappointment and this is his LAST gasp opportunity. In actuality he has demonstrated considerable progress and maturity, allowing him to now earn his FIRST opportunity.

Everyone who wants Luck talks about the prospective benefit to him from sitting behind Peyton for three years.Well what do you think Painter has been doing? Why is it taken for granted that Luck - "the best QB prospect in 14 years" needs time to mature, but that Painter - a sixth round project - should have come out fully formed.

The guy has tons of talent. We may well have to weather a higher than normal volume of mistakes - that's what QBs do when they are getting their feet wet - but he will get better with time. Pulling the plug after one game would be a waste of the teams time and resources and help no-one and nothing.

So your saying that he has been smoething other than a disappointmentand that is an opinion others might have as well but I dont see how you can be "utterly mystified " even the staff knew what to expect, thus you see a 38 year old Collins as a Colt LOL he has never been anything more than what he is now unreliable and inconsistent and that goes all the way back to his high school days. The reason why this "will" be his last gasp is because he has to step up and prove that he can be a QB in the NFL im not saying "this game" is it but it better show up soon......the man has been under the wing of a great if not greatest of all time QB's and that should make a differance and show through. I wish him all the best but I know as sure as im sitting here that he will never be the real deal. I hope for the colts sake im wrong and fans like yourself are right and only time will tell but I sure as heck dont want to think of painter as the future of the colts............just the thought of that makes baby jesus cry!