Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NESN falls for prank article that Urlacher signed 1-day contract to retire as Packer

ReMeDy

Ah yes, fact checking it seems to be a lost art these days. In a rush to beat every other new agency to the story, a lot of reporters tend to forget 1 very important lesson & a famous quote by President Ronald Reagan "Trust but verify." Not only does it keep egg off your face, it tends to avoid costly lawsuits as well. 

"That was my last, best shot at winning a Super Bowl, but the Packers were clearly the better team."

I wonder how many Bears fans read that line, smashed something out of rage, & then realized the article was just kidding?  haha When loyal fans read bad press about their favorite team, sometimes a visceral reaction takes hold & our emotions get the better of us far a brief moment or two...I've been there before myself believe me...Don't slam my Colts man...Believe me, I get it. 

Whoa, I completely missed this line the 1st time I skimmed the article. "The future Hall of Famer says he plans to be inducted into Canton as a Green Bay Packer and encouraged other Bears to follow his lead."

Even as a joke, you never say that a detested NFL rival is better than your squad is & that if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

You might snicker at first, but festering/bubbling just beneath the surface is a momentary feeling of betrayal. Disloyalty to a city & franchise even in a comical satire format has a dark, underbelly to it that isn't very pretty upon closer inspection...

Considering that SportsPickleNews made a comical farce of this Brian Urlacher story that was intentionally meant to be LOL funny, it reminds of a hilarious British line that I always think of when I see comedian Benny Hill on BBC: "Well now, you're in a bit of a sticky wicket aren't you?"

When "The Onion" [a spoof newspaper/bulletin that created make believe stories for laughs] was still published in Madison, WI they would have definitely ran with a similar story on the famous Soldier Field LB.

A very nice commentary on Brian's legacy, his impact in the locker room, & his admiration for HC Lovie Smith. I still have no idea why coach Smith was fired...A really dumb move IMO...10-6 is a fine season record to me anyway. It's a travesty that no team hired Lovie even as their DC man. The guy knows what he's doing & he's a great teacher of NFL fundamentals in my view. 

http://youtu.be/tc08JMPFaDM