Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Personnel

Gavin

By naming conventions in this case, I just mean "the names that are conventionally used to describe personnel packages". You could say that 4-3 and 3-4 are common naming conventions for defensive formations.

My point/question was that "don't different coaches call things whatever they want". It never occurred to me that there were standards throughout the profession tied to what you call it when you have (for example) 2 tight ends on the field instead of 1.

By naming conventions in this case, I just mean "the names that are conventionally used to describe personnel packages". You could say that 4-3 and 3-4 are common naming conventions for defensive formations.

My point/question was that "don't different coaches call things whatever they want". It never occurred to me that there were standards throughout the profession tied to what you call it when you have (for example) 2 tight ends on the field instead of 1.

Like the way Buddy Ryan arbitrarily called their D formation the 46 defense after #46 Doug Plank.

http://44management.wordpress.com/2009/11/04/personnel-groupings/

I have been doing alot of reading on Personnel packages and wanted to confirm from someone that knows for sure if I have the right info here....I believe it is but would like confirmation from someone that knows for sure

As far as I know, that's right, but it probably varies from play book to play book, to some extent.

These systems are mostly used by play callers to get the right personnel groupings on the field. It's easier to ask for 11 personnel than it is to ask for "three wideouts, a tight end and a back." And then there are variations on each grouping, based on what receivers you want, which back you want, which tight end you want, etc. So the numbers and/or names are used for efficiency. They can really mean whatever the staff wants them to mean.

the numbering system is pretty standard as Warhorse described. The use of things like "King" and "Queen" etc that I'm accustomed to dealt with backfield protection calls in the west coast offense, but I think the article is getting at something slightly different here. You can lump "Joker" into the card vernacular, but that refers more to a specific player/position rather than a personnel grouping.

the numbering system is pretty standard as Warhorse described. The use of things like "King" and "Queen" etc that I'm accustomed to dealt with backfield protection calls in the west coast offense, but I think the article is getting at something slightly different here. You can lump "Joker" into the card vernacular, but that refers more to a specific player/position rather than a personnel grouping.

http://westcoastoffense.com/terminology.htm

Some the things I have been reading are different then King, Queen, Joker....I have also been reading quite a bit of whats called the Multiple West Coast Offense on Fast and furious football.com and  http://www.topgunqbacademy.com/PDFsVideo/TheMultipleWestCoastSpreadOffense.pdf

http://westcoastoffense.com/terminology.htm

Some the things I have been reading are different then King, Queen, Joker....I have also been reading quite a bit of whats called the Multiple West Coast Offense on Fast and furious football.com and  http://www.topgunqbacademy.com/PDFsVideo/TheMultipleWestCoastSpreadOffense.pdf

yeah most of that is the same as what I know. There are differences from coach to coach but typically pretty minor. As for the version I'm familiar with, King/Queen deals with the backfield and which back gets the free release and which one stays to block (or release if no one coming). In a 2 back set (not I formation) King means the strong side releases and Queen means the weak side releases. I don't have a link handy...its buried somewhere in a box in the house. :)

As for Joker, I just brought it up because it fit with the card scheme. That's a defensive position, kinda like 'Elephant' - fills multiple roles and moves around the formation to give different looks.