Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Okay, Let's Say We Stop the Run...

Smonroe

Teams are going to go with whatever the D's give them.  If we sell out against the run, it doesn't necessarily mean our pass D is going to be any better.  

I think our D made great strides last season, considering the lack of talent and most of the guys learning a new system.  I'm anxious to see what the new guys bring.

that is true but I don't believe teams will be able to pass  on us easily. The run was our one weakness on d and once that is remedied nobody not the Patriots Denver Seattle or 49ers will be able to beat us easily. In games against patriots and Denver we will put our best pass rushing run stoppers on the field. Even manning and brady will make mistakes if you get to them quick enough.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is true but I don't believe teams will be able to pass  on us easily. The run was our one weakness on d and once that is remedied nobody not the Patriots Denver Seattle or 49ers will be able to beat us easily. In games against patriots and Denver we will put our best pass rushing run stoppers on the field. Even manning and brady will make mistakes if you get to them quick enough.

Well, if we see Mr. Brady this season we're on track. I guess the question is - who are our 'best pass rushing run stoppers'?

The point of the thread is if we sell out against the run, do we have the personnel to cover what smart teams will do against us? We all hope the new guys at LB, CB, and S can do it. Only time will tell.

Bethea is solid at free safety.  Not flashy but consistently does his job.  Those expecting Landry to be this coverage stud may be disappointed.  He will deliver big hits but often after the receiver has already caught the football.  His coverage skills are really only average to suspect. 

Vontae finished the year strong but he is not a shutdown corner yet.  Toler was under the radar in Arizona and had a low pass completed against percentage...so he may be an upgrade of sorts at #2.  Darrius Butler is a solid nickle corner.  Vaughn is very suspect at the dime slot and but has more experience than any of the UFA candidates.

Well, if we see Mr. Brady this season we're on track. I guess the question is - who are our 'best pass rushing run stoppers'?

The point of the thread is if we sell out against the run, do we have the personnel to cover what smart teams will do against us? We all hope the new guys at LB, CB, and S can do it. Only time will tell.

The new guy bjorn is supposed to be good at stopping the run and pass

Obviously the objective is to make the other team one dimensional.  It's the same gameplan that was so successful against us in the last few years.  No one respected our run game.  We were fortunate enough to have a QB that still could win against those sets.

Now, just because we're stout against the run does not mean we're automatically putting more pressure on the QB.  It does mean we may be in a lot more nickel and dime D's.

So, what does our Pass D look like?  What's the personnel group?

Are our LBs  talented enough to cover the quick pass to the RB or TE?

The first "step" to becoming a GREAT D is stopping the run.      Stop the run, and everything else changes.   And this includes the opposing QB.   

Bad D's never stop the run consistently.     Us Colt fans know it...

I think it is about ti change... 

I am sure they want this "panzer" to sack the QB....         

But if you watch him at FSU...  he has exceptional awareness at the line of scrimmage.

The new guy bjorn is supposed to be good at stopping the run and pass