Colts select montori Hughes -- traded 2014 4th rounder

trueblueblood

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got whooped in 1on1's at senior bowl. Got stood up by schwenke

So I guess your going to judge him by one game?  Do you really think that the coaching staff has not looked at every tape on this player?  Let us all know when your judgement can be taken serious. 

What are his "issues" ...    I can only find a dorm incident while at UT, and the rest of his problems were academic related.

Did dude beat up and old lady?  hehe

JD....

I'm going to cut and paste here his bio-report from Scouts Inc at ESPN.com.....     my biggest worry at this point, is that after he got kicked out of Tennessee (not an easy thing to do)  and went to lower division Tenn-Martin,  he didn't dominate.   If he didn't dominate at a level where he was a man against boys,  then how will he dominate in the NFL?   That's my concern for now....

Draft Analysis

Hughes is a massive space-eater that is light on his feet and shows above-average lateral agility. He shows a powerful punch and can control and shed blockers when playing with leverage. However, he must learn to play with more consistent pad level and continue to develop as a pass rusher. In addition, he has some character issues that likely caused him to fall into the fifth round. This coaching staff really wants to get more physical versus the run, and it upgraded with two UFAs at DT. Hughes will add to that size and physicality.

Overall Football Traits

Production 3 2009: (13/0) - 20-4-0 Tennessee 2010: (12/5) 17-3.5-0 2011: (11/7) 30-6.5-1 Tennessee Martin 2012: (11/11) 42-8.5-4

Height-Weight-Speed 1 Possesses a massive and wide frame with an excellent height, weight speed combination for the position. Arms are on the shorter side considering size (31.5) but has big mitts (10.1)

Durability 1 Durability does not appear to be an issue as he has appeared in all 47 career games at both Tennessee and Tennessee-Martin.

Intangibles 4 Was present at site of bar altercation in July, 2010 and reportedly involved but not charged by police. He was suspended one game during 2010 season for violation of team academic rules. In addition, he was suspended twice from team activities during offseason of that year. Was involved in an on-campus altercation (dorm) in May, 2011 that lead to his dismissal from the Tennessee football team. Coaches at Tennessee also have openly questioned his work effort and passion for the game. Has made strides in terms of maturity and was not a problem for the coaches during his time at Tennessee-Martin. In the end though will he work hard enough off-the-field (practice, conditioning, diet etc.) to reach full potential?

1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL

Defensive Tackle Specific Traits

Versus the Run 2  A massive, wide body two-gap defender. Inconsistent with his leverage but when fires off the ball and establishes position can be tough for OL to deal with. Possesses a powerful upper body and quick hands. However, arms are on the shorter side and needs development with hands in combat to shed blocks more efficiently. Needs to keep head/eyes up to find the ball instead of ducking head which he has a tendency to do. Flashes quickness and good range for a DT his size. Can deliver a heavy hit.

Pass Rush Skills 4  Raw and does not have a lot of production in this area but does flash some upside. When staying low and firing off the ball can get a surge and collapse the pocket from the interior. However, too inconsistent with pad level coming off the ball which can negate his power. Flashes a rip and swim move but needs development with hands in terms of execution. Possesses finishing power and an adequate closing burst considering size.

Quickness (hands/feet) 3  Shows quick and heavy hands but needs to learn to use them with more consistency. Initial quickness is adequate but won't many first step battles. Nimble on his feet and moves well laterally for size. Plays with good balance and stays on his feet.

Toughness/Motor 3  Motor is adequate but can go cold on occasion. Also endurance appears to be just average and snap count will need to be monitored at the next level. When he tires pad level can rise. Will chase in pursuit. Toughness is not an issue. Will mix it up and shows good fight at the point of attack.

1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL

So I guess your going to judge him by one game? Do you really think that the coaching staff has not looked at every tape on this player? Let us all know when your judgement can be taken serious.

He got stood up by Schwenke twice in a senior bowl Practice not in the game. He is basing his statement on the beginning of this video I posted below

Look....   not only are you one of the most logical posters here,  you're often fact based.

So, the facts are a 4 has a higher chance of turning into something than a 5.

And certainly much higher than a 6 and especially a 7.

In short,  i'd rather take the chance on the 24th pick in the 4th round,  than I would the 24th pick in rounds 5/6/6/7 over a two year span.

I want to hit in the sweet spot of a draft....   not typically where the lesser players are....

Did you even bother to listen to Grigson and his thoughts on the trade up??   Myself, I have a little more faith in Grigson's picks than your opinion as to what he should do. Sorry, he is the GM and has a very good track record above me, you or any other arm chair GMs. 

Did you even bother to listen to Grigson and his thoughts on the trade up??   Myself, I have a little more faith in Grigson's picks than your opinion as to what he should do. Sorry, he is the GM and has a very good track record above me, you or any other arm chair GMs. 

Sorry my opinion seems to bother you so much.   Not sure why it would.   I'm not sure there's a bigger Grigson admirer here than I am.

So, yes,  I listen to pretty much everything he said....   and he didn't much get into the idea of the specifics of the trade, except that it was something they felt they wanted to do....

I've liked -- in fact, LOVED -- most everything Grigson has done since he took the job.   I noted in my posts about the trade that this is the first time Grigson did something that I didn't like.

So,  why this bothers you so much is a mystery to me.....    Sorry.

Sorry my opinion seems to bother you so much. Not sure why it would. I'm not sure there's a bigger Grigson admirer here than I am.

So, yes, I listen to pretty much everything he said.... and he didn't much get into the idea of the specifics of the trade, except that it was something they felt they wanted to do....

I've liked -- in fact, LOVED -- most everything Grigson has done since he took the job. I noted in my posts about the trade that this is the first time Grigson did something that I didn't like.

So, why this bothers you so much is a mystery to me..... Sorry.

If he gets his act together and performs to his ability it will be well worth it. If not, I agree with your concerns. Hopefully it will turn out the former! Sounds like we may have a future de beast on our hands. Comparing him to Ngata is a pretty huge deal. If he can even be part of that it would be nice.

Hughes is super talented, but has tons of off the field issues. 

He has good size and athleticism, but again off the field stuff hurt his stock by 1 or 2 rounds.

The Colts traded up to get him. Don't know the details yet.

Thoughts?

I really like this pick, he came to one of the more disciplined teams in the nfl being ours, I think he cleans his act up.  He should be in our rotation as NT and make the roster.