Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How much does losing Bruce Arians hurt the Colts?

OldSchoolColt

Sports analyst have sounded like our team took a huge lose when Arians left. We won't be the same without him. He did earn Coach of the Year and we did seem to rely on him a great deal. It is hard to believe we could have did so well last year without him. He was smart at getting the most out of the players he had to work with, especially Luck. He pushed him more than most would have, and it payed off. His offense worked and now we will not be using it. Hard to see Peyton playing in a WCO. If you want to know how important coaches are, look at how poor the Saints did without theirs. His passion and presents will be missed. Hamilton appears more like a tactician and less a leader. Just how worse off are we if any??

I disagree with that wholeheartedly. Luck's skills are much better suited for the system he ran in college. The system last year was more of a down the field type not suited to what he does best, which is the West Coast offense. Plus he took way too many hits holding the ball that long. The Colt's really didn't rank very well in offensive points last year , redzone was average at best. Look at the league rankings last year, that offense didn't work that well .Those analysts don't know what they are talking about me thinks.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we'll miss the experience he had more than anything else.

Honestly I think the new offense is going to be a better fit for Luck than Arians was but Arians was one of the few members of our coaching staff who had been around the NFL for a long period of time and I do think we'll miss that part of it. 

Arians obviously deserved the "Coach of the Year". I believe we will be fine because I have learned to trust Grigson. I know he brought in the right guy for this year, and more importantly, the following years. Arians may have left, but the tone and winning mindset he helped install here will continue. GO  :coltslogo:  !!

I think Fleener and Whalen need to worry about making the starting roster and not "mentoring". They may share some concepts when they talk with their fellow position guys but it is a big reach to state that they would be "mentoring" anyone. Every year, everyone starts from scratch and starting spots on the roster need to be earned.

I'd personally prefer Fleener and Whalen to produce on the field than worry about "mentoring" :)

Honestly speaking, after seeing Allen last year and how well he played I cant see Fleener being the starter. Especially if Allen progresses just a little this year. 

Honestly speaking, after seeing Allen last year and how well he played I cant see Fleener being the starter. Especially if Allen progresses just a little this year. 

They will actually be used quite a bit together Rich....I am looking forward to the utilization of some new weaponry :)  Allen IS a Beast!!!   :thmup: (Old weaponry 'aint bad either')

i think what analysis seem to forget that because of arians offense, luck took a beating. they want to blame the o-line which they should, but it takes awhile for a deep route to develop and not wanting to dump it off will lead to getting hit.

While that is true, some of that beating blame lays clearly on Luck's shoulders too. Split it 3 ways. There are many clips I've watched where Luck wiould come off the field and Arians would mention something like- "... if the play is broken, you gotta throw it away... " {rather than take a sack/hit or throw a pick}  and Luck begin to make an excuse then stop and say...  "ya... I gotta throw it away."  Or Arians would pat Luck's head as he hit the sidelines and say something like "... there's times to take a shot, and that ain't it.  That's why we got a drag route underneath...' and such. Luck appeared to love the chunk plays, sometimes even when the OC didn't. ;)  Can't blame him, all QB's want to hit on big plays.  He learned a lot that he can use in the new system too. 

t's nice to know our QB has real experience and success in the Air Coryell type system when those 3rd and long situations do develop at times. If Pep can indeed add the successful parts of Arians O system into his WCO typ, he will certainly have a dangerous system to opposing defenses and deadly triggerman at the gun fight.