Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts O-Line And D Lines

coltfaninnewyork

I agree, both lines played well. To be a playoff team.....a ton of work to do

I think if you give us a quarterback who can complete 55% of his passes, take away the sack/fumble/touchdown, and take away the offensive holding penalty at the goalline, we win that game going away. Against last year's Super Bowl runner-up. I've been saying since Week 1 that we're not as bad as the score indicates. We've got a huge problem at quarterback (I'm lobbying for Painter, btw), and we suck at covering kicks and punts (which is why McAfee was kicking out of bounds and through the end zone last night), but our line play has been much improved, and our running backs look good. I'm excited, which is strange considering we're 0-3.

Hats off to both lines. The"O" line done well against one of the best rushing schemes in football Kerry and painter had time to throw the ball. Cas on the "O" line really showed me something yesterday Linkenbach as well, learning on the fly. The team is 0-3 at this point but there is a upside. The "O" line is getting a needed face lift with the rookie's. I know this year isn't up yet but this a good sign.

As for the"D" line. The DT are really getting a push this year. Nevis has provided a spark that has been needed for years that is why freeney and Mathis have been getting up field and causing problems. Foster and Johnson have stepped it up as well, last night showed what this team is capable of. They will improve every week. Go Colts.

how well has Costanzo played? Nevis played much? Hughes mad any contribution yet?

Castonzo was basically flawless like the last 2 games. He allowed a sack/fumble but it had more to do with Painter not getting rid of the ball than him.

Nevis had his first real shot at contributing and did ome good plays, disrupting some plays in the middle.

Castonzo was basically flawless like the last 2 games. He allowed a sack/fumble but it had more to do with Painter not getting rid of the ball than him.

Nevis had his first real shot at contributing and did ome good plays, disrupting some plays in the middle.

Painter should have gotten rid of the ball, but AC got his butt whipped on that play. It's not like Painter sat back there all day long. I'd say the blame goes 70/30 to AC.

Painter should have gotten rid of the ball, but AC got his butt whipped on that play. It's not like Painter sat back there all day long. I'd say the blame goes 70/30 to AC.

At least. But we have to expect that from a rookie LT. Both O and D lines are playing better than last year (at least in the last 2 games).

I'm not crazy about some of the scheme's our D coordinator implements, but I have to have faith that he knows the personel better than I do.

Dline looked good...however, the Steelers oline is pretty bad. Very impressed with our Oline. Castonzo only really got beaten ONCE by James Harrison...a shame it had to end up as a fumble-td for the steelers. Link did decently against Woodley, from what I saw. Joe Reitz? who IS this guy? I'm quite happy with our Oline right now...yay

Foster and Johnson have stepped it up as well,

I agree whole heartedly about Johnson, but while Foster has played relatively well, he still causes a problem. The past couple of weeks, Nevis was playing mostly beside Foster and we didn't see a whole lot from Nevis. This week he gets to play next to Johnson and he was disruptive on many plays. The problem is we have no backup NT to spell Johnson, so the combo that usually comes in is Foster and Nevis. Now there is no NT on the line so if one of them gets double blocked then it's likely going to be Nevis. I think most teams are fine leaving a Guard 1 on 1 with the 265 lb DT that is Foster. Foster is occasionally still able to make plays but at the detriment to Nevis. If we add another NT that can get penetration like Johnson does then we have a true NT for every down and then I think we see a lot more of Nevis playing like he did against the Steelers, and we might see a little better play from Moala. I'll be honest, I didn't pay much attention to Moala in the first 2 games and he didn't play yesterday (obviously lol) so I'll be trying to pay more attention to him when he comes back.

They looked good, but I would like to see a bit more consistency, but my anger has subsided for the week.

Consistency is the key. Even with Manning, we have had times where the team looks great in all phases one week and then does poorly the next week.

Both of you mention consistency and I agree it is definitely important to keep seeing consistent play and improvement as well. In the first 3 weeks though, they have improved quite well from week to week:

Houston vs. our run D: 41 carries for 167 yards, 4.1 yards per carry

Cleveland vs. our run D: 34 carries for 106 yards, 3.1 yards per carry

Pittsburgh vs. our run D: 28 carries for 67 yards, 2.4 yards per carry

And as for the running game:

Vs. Houston: 16 rushes for 64 yards, average 4.0 per carry

Vs. Cleveland: 26 carries for 109 yards, 4.2 per carry

Vs. Pittsburgh: 21 carries for 97 yards, 4.6 per carry

I'd say that's pretty consistent improvement. But yes, they do need to sustain that for the rest of the year. I would like to see them closer to 30-35 carries per game, but that will require some serious work in the secondary in order to shore up coverage and stop giving up such big pass plays. :)