Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Well, well, well, one more coach abandoned ship and fled to the NFL...

chad72

Seems like it always follows success...sounds more like an NCAA problem and hopefully they just wake up and pay the guys a little $$...They expect young kids to go to class and do homework , spend hours practicing and lifting, and still have time to work a part-time job if they come from poor families and mommy and daddy can't support them...Pay all Football and Basketball players 300$ a week, and the problem is solved..They make millions for the University and deal with the pressure of having to perform or having their scholarships revoked..It's pathetic how these kids are used...

Sounds like much to do about nothing....just another case of the NCAA being a total joke.

Makes sense though...since sweet Chipster changed his mind so fast.  NCAA coaches and rules for coaches is more the joke than the NCAA.

Rules violations at Oregon...SHOCKER!

Seems like it always follows success...sounds more like an NCAA problem and hopefully they just wake up and pay the guys a little $$...They expect young kids to go to class and do homework , spend hours practicing and lifting, and still have time to work a part-time job if they come from poor families and mommy and daddy can't support them...Pay all Football and Basketball players 300$ a week, and the problem is solved..They make millions for the University and deal with the pressure of having to perform or having their scholarships revoked..It's pathetic how these kids are used...

I agree...there's no way these guys can go to class, practice, play in games, study etc etc and still work part time to make a little money.  There's no reason not to give them some sort of weekly or monthly allowance so they have a little spending money.  Definitely no need to make them rich over it, but your suggestion wouldn't do that and I think that's right around the area I'd have said too.

I've got a question... how does paying college athletes (not something I'm against, per se) solve this particular issue?  That's not a deterrent for those inclined to seek out a competitive edge in recruiting whatsoever.

Sounds like much to do about nothing....just another case of the NCAA being a total joke.

Actually, I don't think that's the case....

Oregon has been running a pretty dirty program for quite some time.    Kinda of bad open secret.

I appreciate that NCAA is not exactly a sympathetic organization,  and they'll probably screw this investigation up big time and not punish Oregon as they should....    but Oregon is a dirty, dirty program.

I hope that don't get off lightly..... 

Naturally, all institutions & the people who are employed by them have a presumption of innocence. It does seem odd, or at least a strange coincidence as Chad72 stated above that both Pete Carroll & Chip Kelley sought the refuge & sanctuary of an NFL team before sanctions were handed down.

I'm not here to debate the accuracy or validity of those NCAA sanctions. Just the disturbing trend I see see among coutless college coaches leaving any potential fallout for a huge NFL pay upgrade. Coaches have so much more freedom than students on scholarship & there is never any penalty from breaching a signed contract on a college head coach's part. That really burns me. The glaring hypocrisy & double standard that it is.

My own UW-Madison Football Coach Bret Bielema left for the University of Arkansas Razorbacks & it royally ticks me off personally...It disgusts me actually...Under contract should mean something iron clad & not easy to break IMO...

121205.18.jpg

Bret-Bielema-December-2012.jpg

Actually, I don't think that's the case....

Oregon has been running a pretty dirty program for quite some time.    Kinda of bad open secret.

I appreciate that NCAA is not exactly a sympathetic organization,  and they'll probably screw this investigation up big time and not punish Oregon as they should....    but Oregon is a dirty, dirty program.

I hope that don't get off lightly.....

Big time college athletics is a bad open secret....I just find the whole masquerade unseemly.