Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reality's Newest Mock Draft

This mock uses trades with this draft chart post-12018-0-31305000-1365296831_thumb.j

1: Indy trades 1 to Buf for 2,3 makes sense because buffalo may try to flip flop anyone else looking for a qb. 

2: Larry Warford OG Kentucky:

Warford is a powerful run blocker that could come and fit right in at the starting RG position. Warford has great strength that makes him a above- solid pass blocker as well  Warford has great feet for his size and weight at 6'3 / 333. Warford can take on those large pass rushers and the speed rushers. Warford shows resemblance to Brian Waters OG of the New England Patriots formerly for the Kansas City Chiefs  Not bad

3: Indy trades 3 to Phily for 4,5 Phily and Indy have been trade partners lately but it makes sense for phily to move up and pick a OT/OLB for their new schemes on both sides of the ball. It depends on who they pick in Round 1 and who is available but could be a option come draft day

3: Corey Lemonier OLB Auburn 

Lemonier played on a pitiful Auburn team last year but still managed a good campaign. Lemonier is very athleticat 6'3 / 255. Lemonier is very balanced when coming on the pass rush he has top notch speed and burst when coming in on the pass rush as well. Lemonier is not very flexible witch is a drawback. Lemonier is good against the run and is intelligent football player. Lemonier lacks bull rush but makes up with engery and speed. Lemonier could make a beautiful combo with Walden as Walden would be great against the run with Lemonier coming in at obvious pass rush situations, while still splitting snaps on regular plays. 

4: Jonathan Bostic ILB Florida

Bostic is a powerful downhill player that has some athleticism and short range speed. He is a very very very reliable tackler and takes great angles. Bostic can come in blitzing for the ILB spot and add good pass rush to disrupt the play. Bostic uses his hands well when the OL are onto the second level that could drastically help our run defensive improve witch is a priority of Chucks. Although Bpstic has good short range speed he does not have top level speed in witch to primarily cover a TE or a RB on something like a wheel route. Bostic would play great splitting time with Kavell/Pat for #2 ILB this year and would also give us freedom to re-sign only one of our 2 ILB free agents next year (Pat & Kavell) and still be set a ILB. If I had to make a comparison for Bostic I'd say Dayrl Washington of the Arizona Cardinals.

4: Tharold Simon CB LSU

Simon a 6'2 corner could be a huge gem/steal in this draft. Simon ran a blazing 4.39 at his LSU pro day. Simon has technical difficulties that can sometimes show up if he is playing on a island man to man against a top speed WR. Simon takes good angels in the run game and also is a very aggressive hitter. Simon plays the ball in the air tremendously and 9/10 times will get the swat in a jump ball where he is prepared. Simon ran a combo of man and Zone at LSU but excelled at man witch fits our scheme well. one drawback to Simons game is his footwork witch can be thought. Simon will only get better as his career progresses and could come in this year and fight with Darius to split time as Nickelback and play as Dimeback when we face the 5 wide. And in coming years will be better and  better. (May be a little bias as a LSU fan here but still everything about him stated above is true.) 

5: Robert Lester S Alabama

I think that Lester may still be there in round 5. Lester is a good size for a safety at 6'2/210. Lester could possible be a Bethea replacement if we do infact move on. This year lester could play a center feild type of player with Landry in the box. Lester is very intelligent and is a great athlete. Lester is a soild tackler but nobody would go as far as say a great tackler. Lester is not the best in run support because he does not attack the line of scrimmage enough. Lester has good speed but again not great speed. Overall Lester could be a great pick-up if there in round 5. May be a bit of a reach.

6: Dalton Freeman C Clemson 

Freeman is a good overall blocker. Not great in the run not great in the pass but is above solid in both. In all honesty I don't feel Freeman would make any impact in 2012 but could learn and be knowalged up then compete for a starting spot in 2013 on. Freeman had a okay performance at the combine. Could be a great pick-up if thought right.

7: Alec Lemon WR Syracuse

Lemon was a dynamic play maker for 'cuse in 2012. He totaled 1070 yard from QB Ryan Nassib. Lemon was not origanly invited to the Senior Bowl but was added late and had a very strong campaign. Lemon could appear in a 5 wide set competing against Nathan Palmer, Jeremy Kelley, Griff Whalen for a roster spot.

7: Dustin Hopkins K FSU 

Hopkins has 25/30 in 2012. Hopkins could replace Adam Vinatieri and save us a good 3 million. Hopkins has a very strong leg. He can nail 50's usually.  

Sorry to ditch my man Quanterus but I make finally come to agreement that Quanters's Draft stock is rising but best luck to him where ever he goes he'll be a monster. Hope you enjoyed 

First....

Props for thinking outside the box...   I always like and appreciate that....

But....

While I like the concept of trading down twice,  and I've talked up the talent available through the 5th round and even into the 6th...

That said...   I don't want that second trade...  of a 3 for a 4 & 5....    Because players taken roughly inside the top 100 (1st 3 rounds) are much better than 4 and 5th round players....

Now....  if I was going to trade down twice...   I'd trade down hopefully with SF for one of their first two picks, or some other team in roughly the first 8 of the 2nd round....   and, if I felt confident that players I liked would be available in the middle of the 2nd round,  then I'd trade down a 2nd time to accumulate more picks...

At least that way...   my first pick is still in the 2nd round,  I've accumulated more 3's and 4's without having to trade a 3 to do it.

Sorry....   I didn't want to bury this post in numbers...   but I hope this made some sense...

First....

But....

While I like the concept of trading down twice,  and I've talked up the talent available through the 5th round and even into the 6th...

That said...   I don't want that second trade...  of a 3 for a 4 & 5....    Because players taken roughly inside the top 100 (1st 3 rounds) are much better than 4 and 5th round players....

Now....  if I was going to trade down twice...   I'd trade down hopefully with SF for one of their first two picks, or some other team in roughly the first 8 of the 2nd round....   and, if I felt confident that players I liked would be available in the middle of the 2nd round,  then I'd trade down a 2nd time to accumulate more picks...

At least that way...   my first pick is still in the 2nd round,  I've accumulated more 3's and 4's without having to trade a 3 to do it.

Sorry....   I didn't want to bury this post in numbers...   but I hope this made some sense...

thanks for the feedback!

A 3 for a 4 and 5? That's an awful trade for us.

The picks themselves are fine. I don't see ILB as the need other seem to, though, and would rather go somewhere else with the 4th.

Thanks for the feedback. I think adding another ILB wouldn't hurt with Kavell and Pat both being FA's. talking about the 4th and 5th rounders they are both high 4th and 5th round picks.

Thanks for the feedback. I think adding another ILB wouldn't hurt with Kavell and Pat both being FA's. talking about the 4th and 5th rounders they are both high 4th and 5th round picks.

The talent dropoff from the 3rd to 4th and then the 5th is a lot.

I think it was the Patriots who traded a 3rd round pick a couple of years ago to the Raiders for a 4th round pick and a 2nd round pick in the following year's draft just to give an idea of what a 3rd round pick might hold value wise.

That being said, the Raiders haven't always seemed to value draft picks much

Like it really like the freeman pick probably the best bet for a late center in the draft to blossom in to something. 

Yea loved him at clemson

The talent dropoff from the 3rd to 4th and then the 5th is a lot.

I agree but if Lester is there I'd think thats a solid pick

Like it really like the freeman pick probably the best bet for a late center in the draft to blossom in to something. 

To me, a late center in the draft is a wasted opportunity....might as well get a UFA.  

Shipley is more than adequate at starting center....and Satele is still here.....

I want some of you Colt fans to go back and watch film of Jeff Saturday when he first started out with  the Colts....he was laughed at.  Shipley needs Grigson to say the job is his and we are set for 10 years.

To me, a late center in the draft is a wasted opportunity....might as well get a UFA.  

Shipley is more than adequate at starting center....and Satele is still here.....

I want some of you Colt fans to go back and watch film of Jeff Saturday when he first started out with  the Colts....he was laughed at.  Shipley needs Grigson to say the job is his and we are set for 10 years.

i dont think Grigson would want override Pagano in that decision, with that said Shipley was much better

I like the picks except for Freeman. He's awful light in the rear to play in a man blocking scheme and I also think people are going to be highly disappointed when they finally realize that were not replacing Satele and/or Shipley. 

First....

But....

I suggested yesterday that we trade our 1st and 4th rounders to Miami for their two 2nd rounders. We take OL and WR with the 2nds and an OLB in the 3rd. Miami get their CB with our 24th.

Thoughts?

I suggested yesterday that we trade our 1st and 4th rounders to Miami for their two 2nd rounders. We take OL and WR with the 2nds and an OLB in the 3rd. Miami get their CB with our 24th.

Thoughts?

OK......

I did some homework....   some math....   to crunch numbers if the point totals are relatively equal....   and, they're not...

To do the deal as you structure it, the Dolphins would get 792 points....   and the Colts would get 840 points.   The difference is another 4th round pick around the same spot as the one we have.

So....   I tried to do some juggling....   give a 1 & 3 for the Dolphins two 2's....  and in that scenario,  the Colts would be short about 50 something points....      

To balance it out....   the Colts would trade their 1 & 3 for two 2's and a #4.

Don't know about you,  but that's doesn't appeal to me. 

The whole point for trading down is to gain picks in the 2nd-5th round, perhaps even the 6th. 

So,  I'm willing to trade the 1 for 3 picks in the range.   Then, the Colts are +2.    And, if players I liked are still available a little lower in the 2nd,  I'd even consider trading back a 2nd time to pick up another pick or two....

But I'm not willing to trade a 1 & 3 for other nice picks....  at that point for me,  there's just not enough bang for the buck....

OK......

I did some homework....   some math....   to crunch numbers if the point totals are relatively equal....   and, they're not...

To do the deal as you structure it, the Dolphins would get 792 points....   and the Colts would get 840 points.   The difference is another 4th round pick around the same spot as the one we have.

So....   I tried to do some juggling....   give a 1 & 3 for the Dolphins two 2's....  and in that scenario,  the Colts would be short about 50 something points....      

To balance it out....   the Colts would trade their 1 & 3 for two 2's and a #4.

Don't know about you,  but that's doesn't appeal to me. 

The whole point for trading down is to gain picks in the 2nd-5th round, perhaps even the 6th. 

So,  I'm willing to trade the 1 for 3 picks in the range.   Then, the Colts are +2.    And, if players I liked are still available a little lower in the 2nd,  I'd even consider trading back a 2nd time to pick up another pick or two....

But I'm not willing to trade a 1 & 3 for other nice picks....  at that point for me,  there's just not enough bang for the buck....

Doesn't appeal from the perspective of the Colts or the Dolphins?

Personally, i don't think you can invest too much in these numbers. They're certainly helpful and should be consulted when assessing trade value, but they're not gospel. If you can trade up to get a player you really want then you do it, even if the numbers don't match exactly. The Dolphins need a corner and they could get a really good one with our 24th, probably not with their 11th in the second.

I certainly understand you're viewpoint and respect your feedback.

Cheers!

Doesn't appeal from the perspective of the Colts or the Dolphins?

Personally, i don't think you can invest too much in these numbers. They're certainly helpful and should be consulted when assessing trade value, but they're not gospel. If you can trade up to get a player you really want then you do it, even if the numbers don't match exactly. The Dolphins need a corner and they could get a really good one with our 24th, probably not with their 11th in the second.

I certainly understand you're viewpoint and respect your feedback.

Cheers!

I was only offering an opinion from the Colts side.    And while I don't accept the trade chart as gospel,  when it's 50-something points off one way or the other, I don't think the chances of a deal are very likely....   perhaps not impossible, but not likely.

Again....  my goal is to gain as many picks in R's 2-5 as I can....  

I have sad back and analyzed this fun system by NewColtsFan and I think it is an incredible way to balance back and forth on whether a deal should happen.  I love the system, but I know that if I was a GM I might play the numbers, but i would go with my 'gut' like Leroy Jethro Gibbs on NCIS!!!   :spit:

Really fun and clean debate guys!  Love it as always!!!  I am with NewColtFan....I would LOVE to have more pcks in this very solid draft!!!!

I was only offering an opinion from the Colts side.    And while I don't accept the trade chart as gospel,  when it's 50-something points off one way or the other, I don't think the chances of a deal are very likely....   perhaps not impossible, but not likely.

Again....  my goal is to gain as many picks in R's 2-5 as I can....  

Yeah, that's fair enough.

In your opinion, is a trade back likely for the Colts? I don't see any other trades that would provide mutual value personally. A few people have suggested SF or Philly but i don't see either of those going down.

In your opinion, is a trade back likely for the Colts? I don't see any other trades that would provide mutual value personally. A few people have suggested SF or Philly but i don't see either of those going down.

Josh, I think if the right guy is there...Grigs will pull a trigger either way....

I am leery of trade backs myself, but darn I love this draft :)

Without knowing who Grigson loves and how the 1st round shakes out....   I do think it's likely....    I've been on this bandwagon since before the Vontae Davis trade....    and when we made that trade and gave up our two, I publicly said I thought that only increased our chances of trading back....

I do think there will be a number of teams willing to trade up....   the question is,  at what price?    What are we asking, vs. what are they willing to give?     For instance, if a team is only willing to do a 2/3/6 and not a 2/3/5 will that be a deal breaker for the Colts?     I don't know.

Over the next few weeks.... keep your eye on Mock Drafts with two or more rounds....   Look at all the quality names you'll see in the first 8-15 picks or so.....   many of them have been talked about as possible 1st round picks.    If you can get one of them and add more picks at the same time,  it's win-win to me.

Josh, I think if the right guy is there...Grigs will pull a trigger either way....

I am leery of trade backs myself, but darn I love this draft :)

Me too!

I don't think we can lose really. If there's a guy there worth taking at 24 then we take him. If not, we trade back and still get a decent player, plus a couple of extra picks to work with.

Can't wait!