Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cap space in the future?

I must say that Im not thrilled about these signings we've made, especially since they are just ok players that we are paying very well. I know that in free agency players always get overpaid, but I was hoping we didnt splurge the way we did and sign average guys to big deals.

My question is, will these signings come back to haunt us, or should we expect good room under the cap in the future offseasons as well?

Interested as well to see what impact the signings have on the future cap, especially if they don't pan out?  Grigson is sticking to his philosophy which I'm fine with, I wonder in his mind how many of these guys that he needs to hit on to consider the FA season this year a success?

Walden is basically on a two year deal. His base salary is guaranteed only for the first two years, and his signing bonus is spread out over the four year contract. So if he busts, Ryan can cut him after year two, with only the remaining $500.000 from the signing bonus, counting as dead cap.

"the Colts have only four cap numbers north of $5 million in 2014."

-Paul Kuharsky

That's very good to hear.

Grigson is front loading the heck out of all these contracts,  which means we are taking the biggest cap hit of their contracts this year, when we have alot of cap space.  Do not worry Grigson and Co. know exactly what they are doing.  They are making an extra effort to not repeat last years cap situation.

"the Colts have only four cap numbers north of $5 million in 2014."

-Paul Kuharsky

That's very good to hear.

Grigson is front loading the heck out of all these contracts,  which means we are taking the biggest cap hit of their contracts this year, when we have alot of cap space.  Do not worry Grigson and Co. know exactly what they are doing.  They are making an extra effort to not repeat last years cap situation.

that is absolutely not true.

the contracts are BACK loaded so if they don't pan out there will be minimum cap hits. most were 1 million signing bonuses, 1st and 2nd year guarantees or none, and much larger base salaries the last two years. you give the players a year or two, if they are really good you have them at a fair price, if their bad you cut them without much of a cap hit. all excellent contracts for the colts!

that is absolutely not true.

the contracts are BACK loaded so if they don't pan out there will be minimum cap hits. most were 1 million signing bonuses, 1st and 2nd year guarantees or none, and much larger base salaries the last two years. you give the players a year or two, if they are really good you have them at a fair price, if their bad you cut them without much of a cap hit. all excellent contracts for the colts!

Can I have your source that says they are backloaded?

IMO under your scenario, if they do pan out and you want to keep them, you would have them at a BAD PRICE. Backloaded when you need to pay the class of 2012. Right? 

if they turn out to be really good, you want to keep them and their cap numbers are still good for good starting players. there is very little risk salary wise with these players. the only risk is if they are all bad and the colts didn't improve the team, but it doesn't put them in cap heck. they just have to try again. cherilus has the highest cap hit at years 4 and 5 (9 and 9.5 million). if he is the answer at rt, that would be about the going rate 4 and 5 years from now. the others are way under that.

To me it just seemed like we overpaid each and every guy.....front or back loaded, I got the impression some are front, some are back. Tom Telesco was the #'s guy for both Grigson and Polian....so I wonder if that is reflective. I liked the premise of many potential/hole fillers over 1 or 2 splashers......its what we signed some of these back ups for that troubles me....it just seems too high, 700k non starters getting 4 mil a year just floors me, there were not run's on these guys....I just don't get that.........

..its what we signed some of these back ups for that troubles me....it just seems too high, 700k non starters getting 4 mil a year just floors me, there were not run's on these guys....I just don't get that.........

you have no way of knowing who else wanted these players. you just have to have confidence in the colts scouting. they are young, and felt these players were capable of being starters, time will tell. most of these chance players cap numbers the first year or two are 2-3 million dollars, no big deal when you have a lot of cap room. the best thing these signings do is it takes the pressure off of trying to fill a position in the draft and possibly reaching for a player. now they can just take the best available player every round or trade back if they get a good offer. that's a winning formula for drafting!!