Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Analysis

I've decided to start this thread to look the "big named" FAs in positions of need. By the way with strengths I mean what accomplishments they have and weaknesses also are what could hold us back from signing them.

WRs:

Wes Welker

Strengths: Very good hands ( at NE in 6 seasons, 5 are with 100+ recs)

Can play well on the outside aswell as the slot

Weaknesses: Height means probably less reliable in the red zone

Not the quickest FA WR on the market

Age (31)- again not the youngest FA WR

Greg Jennings

Strengths:When healthy, can put up big numbers ( 3 1000 yard seasons and a career high 12 TD in 2009)

Basically every catch he makes is for a 1st down ( avg yards per gain= 15.4)

Weaknesses:in his last 2 seasons he has missed a total of 14 games 

Not a burner when it comes to speed

Dwayne Bowe

Strengths:Height ( would be very useful in the redzone at 6ft2)

Can post big numbers ( 3 1000 yard seasons and nearly 4 but missed it by 5 yards)

Weaknesses: Incosistent hands ( I remember against us a bit ago he dropped a few)

Likely want a high paid contract ( also chiefs are likely to come to deal with him)

Mike Wallace: Speed ( 4.33 secs)=defintely a deep threat

in 4 years= he averages over 1000 yards

average yards per catch= 17.2

Weaknesses- inconsistent hands

Like Bowe will likely want a lot of money ( Character issues?)

OL:

Ryan Clady

Strengths:Part of the line that allowed 2nd least sacks (and least QB hits)

Has started every game 

3 time pro bowler

Through 20 games, he had surrendered only one half of a sack in 2009

weaknesses: likely tagged or resigned

not too sure about scheme fit

Andy Levitre:

Strengths:Has started every game

good technique meaning he can get good leverage ( despite height)
Weaknesses: not likely to leave buffalo

won't fit our scheme

Jake Long

Strengths:4 time pro bowler

his size means he would fit Grigson's critera as a big mauler on the Oline

likely to fit scheme

Weaknesses: will want a high salary

has had an off season despite contract year

not played all 16 games in last 2 seasons

Phil Loadholt

Strengths: started every game

has great athletic ability despite great height

Weaknesses: lacks aggressiveness sometimes

Jermon Bushrod:

strengths: 2 time pro bowler

part of line with 3rd least sacks

Weaknesses: scheme fit?

DL

Arthur Jones

Strengths: showed promise despite back up ( 4.5 sacks and 1 FF)

will likely know system ( played under chuck)

Weaknesses: not seen full picture ( mainly been back up)

Henry Melton

Strengths: capable of getting to QB ( 6 sacks and 2 FFs this year)

Weaknesses: doesn't fit scheme ( currently in 4-3 tampa 2)

Randy Starks

Strengths: can get to QB ( 4.5 sacks)

can be flexible on the line ( can play NT aswell as DE)

Weaknesses:Character issues ( had run in with  police)

Dolphins will likely resign him

LBs

Paul Kruger

Strengths:can get to QB ( 9 sacks at back up and 1 FF)

knows Chuck's system

good vs the run

Weaknesses: expects big money

Anthony Spencer

Strengths:gets pressure to QB ( 11 sacks)

will fit scheme

1 time pro bowler

Weaknesses: may ask for too much money?

Antwan Barnes

Strengths:has potential ( 11 sacks and 2 FFs in 2011)

Weaknesses: somewhat lackluster this year

DBs

Ed Reed

Strengths: in the words of Gus Johnson "THE BALL HAWK-ED REED" 

knows Chuck's system

can provide leadership 

several time pro bowler

Weaknesses: Age 

Cary Williams

Strengths:great size for CB

know's chucks system

can deflect passes

Weaknesses: Character issues

all of his interceptions have come from this year

Jairus Byrd

Strengths: basically a younger version of Ed reed ( 18 career INT including 5 this year)

hard hitter ( 10 career FF including 4 this year)

weaknesses: Bills will likely 

Mike Jenkins:

Strengths:Pro bowler

can knock the bowl away

Weakness: in our system, he only seems suitable at maybe nickel

Sean Smith 

Strengths: will be good at run support ( caused 3 fumbles)

has great chemistry with Davis 

got good size ( 6ft3)

Weaknesses: fast players like Mike Wallace or our own TY would just burn him

Aqib Talib

Strengths:very physical corner ( good against the run)

showed a lot of talent at TB
Weaknesses: off the field issues

hasn't performed upto standard last 3 years

Dashon Goldson

Strengths:Hard hitter ( caused 5 FFs)

2 time pro bowler

can play well against the pass ( 14 career INTs)

Weaknesses: has been involved in a few incidents involving fines (maybe too aggressive?)

Tell me what you guys think and feel free to add to any bodies summary.

I've been warming up to Talib lately... NE's defense looked much better after he came back from suspension for Adderall... I'm reading bad things about his work ethic, though.. if true, that would be a deal breaker..

I think that K.C. is going to work out a deal with Bowe.. I read somewhere that they opened negotiations..

Bushrod is an interesting alternative to Long or Clady.. I wouldn't want to move AC, though... I think he'll be voted to the Pro Bowl next season if we can get a decent LG to play next to him (Mcafee says he is really bulking up with 2-a-days since season's end)

I'd say CB Jenkins is an upgrade over Powers, Vaughn, and Butler, but was punished by Dallas last year for his greed and wasn't used properly.. could come cheap because of it (ironic).

Goldson would be a great signing... hits hard, doesn't get abused in the pass game... go get him (right after getting Vasquez)

I already know everybody is going to say no. But don't be blind on the production Adam "Pacman" Jones had this season and he could be an option in free agency. As a nickel back and potential starter if an injury just so happens to occur to one of our starting corners

"Jones allowed just 400 yards on 66 passes that were thrown his way during the regular season. He also allowed just two touchdowns and one reception every 11.6 snaps in coverage. With 9 pass defensed"

His off the field stuff seem to be behind him and I would take him over a Mike Jenkins. 2-3 year deal at the most.

I already know everybody is going to say no. But don't be blind on the production Adam "Pacman" Jones had this season and he could be an option in free agency. As a nickel back and potential starter if an injury just so happens to occur to one of our starting corners

"Jones allowed just 400 yards on 66 passes that were thrown his way during the regular season. He also allowed just two touchdowns and one reception every 11.6 snaps in coverage. With 9 pass defensed"

His off the field stuff seem to be behind him and I would take him over a Mike Jenkins. 2-3 year deal at the most.

No ill pass..and i would take Jenkins over him any day. JMO