Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can you have a legacy before you retire? Do you want one?

oldunclemark

Fans seem to have been convinced that all players despetarely want to have ta glowing legacy when most of them are hapy with cash..

But legacy meand to me that you have to be done...so no one now playing has a legacy yet.

You just dont know what will happen..

..and do players really care about how people remember them after they're retired with their rings and awards.....?

I agree, its all about the CA$H for 99% of them. What legacy is a career #3 WR going to have anyway?

I think  it applies even more toward the Hall of Fame voting,especially in baseball. Its nice to get that H.O.F. jacket but taking steroids and risk getting caught is worth the risk if it helps you get a big contract.

Fans seem to have been convinced that all players despetarely want to have ta glowing legacy when most of them are hapy with cash..

But legacy meand to me that you have to be done...so no one now playing has a legacy yet.

You just dont know what will happen..

..and do players really care about how people remember them after they're retired with their rings and awards.....?

I don't think that all players care about legacy....but you can bet your butt that the best ones do. The stars are well aware of their place in this game and their place in history. You'll never hear them admit it or talk about it, but the best players in this game want to be remembered as such. These guys grew up idolizing stars, wanting to be those stars, dreaming of being better than these stars. 

I also think that a player CAN have a legacy before they hang em up. It can always change based on what they do later in their career, but the things that a player does and accomplishes while they play are what forms that legacy...its what defines them. The way they are perceived by fans help shape that legacy, and when they do finally hang up the cleats, history remembers them as such.

I don't think that all players care about legacy....but you can bet your butt that the best ones do. The stars are well aware of their place in this game and their place in history. You'll never hear them admit it or talk about it, but the best players in this game want to be remembered as such. These guys grew up idolizing stars, wanting to be those stars, dreaming of being better than these stars. 

I also think that a player CAN have a legacy before they hang em up. It can always change based on what they do later in their career, but the things that a player does and accomplishes while they play are what forms that legacy...its what defines them. The way they are perceived by fans help shape that legacy, and when they do finally hang up the cleats, history remembers them as such.

Excuse my original spelling but I'd like to discuss the comment that the best players want their place in history.

Do you? I dont care.

We arent pro players but we live our lives and do our things. I would trade what you think of me after I retire for honors now a 10% pay increase now. See what I'm saying?

Is legacy something that's real or a desire we place on others for purposes of debate and enjoyment of the game as fans?

Excuse my original spelling but I'd like to discuss the comment that the best players want their place in history.

Do you? I dont care.

We arent pro players but we live our lives and do our things. I would trade what you think of me after I retire for honors now a 10% pay increase now. See what I'm saying?

Is legacy something that's real or a desire we place on others for purposes of debate and enjoyment of the game as fans?

For a great player who is earning huge salary, like Manning's 18million per yr, another 10% increase is not going to be that important compared with his positoin in the history of the game, or if he has sth. special in people's eyes he could easily get an expensive contract for making funny commercials.

For fans essentially how their "super hero" live their lives is not a tangible thing. It is more about a "feel good" thing and some topics for debate and entertaining. Sounds childish but it is sth. for fun.

I guess what I'm saying is that 'legacy' is even less tangible.

I dont think Arian Foster and Adrian Peterson secretly crave outdoing each other. They crave playing in the title game.

.I wonder if Peyton Manning or Tom Brady care one bit or even think one second about their place in the history of the game.

If you or I think Manning is better than Brady, I'm sure it REALLY bothers him while he's buying another $100,000 fur coat for his supermodel wife...so she'll be warm while she watches him play in the Super Bowl. His legacy wont put diamonds on her finger

They want to win for themseleves and their team but I dont know of any living athlete I can name

who would not take championships or cash money over being known as 'the best in the world'.. in the majority of people's eyes?