Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So is the ball back in the 49ers court?

Jules

Unless the Rams are in it and I was not aware.......:)

After Green Bay shot themselves in the foot losing to the Vikings it sure feels that way. Not to mention the Packers defense still has capabalities of being horrible at any given time.

If Green Bay beats the Vikings (and Peterson always seems to kill them) then they have to go to SF. Instead of having a bye week and having SF come to them.

I feel almost as if barring a miracle now GB might have blown it. I hope I am wrong though.

SF is for sure sitting in the best spot in the NFC until proven otherwise since I doubt anyone truly right now has that much faith in Atlanta or anyone else to go all the way.

Hmmm I didn't know about this. He really needs to be out there for the Niners to have a real shot too. I remember him getting hurt vs. NE. But, I am not sure how much I listen to Harbaugh but if Smith promises he will be back I tend to believe him. ANOTHER reason GB shot themselves in the foot IMO, they gave SF another week to get healthy.

rotoworld:

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh is "hopeful" RE Justin Smith (triceps) will be ready for the Divisional Round.
Smith himself has guaranteed he'll be back, but Harbaugh stopped well short of guaranteeing the anchor of his defensive line will be ready. "I think that depends on how Justin feels, where his strength is and how the doctors feel about it," Harbaugh said. Players rarely play through upper-arm injuries. We'd consider Smith no better than 50-50 to suit up this postseason. Jan 2 - 1:29 PM

Unless the Rams are in it and I was not aware....... :)

After Green Bay shot themselves in the foot losing to the Vikings it sure feels that way. Not to mention the Packers defense still has capabalities of being horrible at any given time.

If Green Bay beats the Vikings (and Peterson always seems to kill them) then they have to go to SF. Instead of having a bye week and having SF come to them.

I feel almost as if barring a miracle now GB might have blown it. I hope I am wrong though.

SF is for sure sitting in the best spot in the NFC until proven otherwise since I doubt anyone truly right now has that much faith in Atlanta or anyone else to go all the way.

Ever since NE & Seattle soundly beat the vaunted 49ers defense, I am not sold on Jim Harbaugh's mastermind genius status anymore. I don't care who you put at QB CK or Alex Smith. That defense is vulnerable now. Seattle is the team to fear in the NFC not San Francisco. 

Ever since NE & Seattle soundly beat the vaunted 49ers defense, I am not sold on Jim Harbaugh's mastermind genius status anymore. I don't care who you put at QB CK or Alex Smith. That defense is vulnerable now. Seattle is the team to fear in the NFC not San Francisco. 

You may very well  be right southwest, especially if Justin Smith cannot perform well in the playoffs, but to be fair who does not have a vulnerable defense in this day and age in this NFL? Going into Sunday's game the Packers for example were ranked 10th overall and got shredded by Ponder at QB.

I think any D can be exploited. The old days might be over there......

I am not sayin SF is a lock but I feel getting that second seed could prove to be pretty huge. And I feel it might have really hurt the Packers chances which I was high on.

Seattle has looked pretty formidable but on the road not as much and for all we know they lose in DC this weekend. Part of me wonders if Seattle is getting a tad overhyped lately.....*shrugs*

Ummm, Atlanta, anyone?

Looks around to see if Bogie is here. :)

I think they might be able to win a playoff game but it depends on who they draw. I think the first round for the Falcons will be the most important for them if they will get that monkey off their back......

Falcons have been garbage in the playoffs but they might be due someday to win a playoff game. Much like us in our early years too with Manning.

Looks around to see if Bogie is here. :)

I think they might be able to win a playoff game but it depends on who they draw. I think the first round for the Falcons will be the most important for them if they will get that monkey off their back......

Falcons have been garbage in the playoffs but they might be due someday to win a playoff game. Much like us in our early years too with Manning.

I think the Niners are ahead of the Falcons, and maybe the Seahawks as well. But everyone is overlooking them because "they have to prove they can win a playoff game... " blah blah blah. I hate that. Like you said, they did the same nonsense with the Colts way back when, and before that, they did it with Elway's Broncos -- they've been to the Super Bowl before, but they have to prove they can win it -- and so on. They did it to the Packers a couple years ago, and I'm sure I'm leaving a hundred other examples out. It's stupid. Teams evolve, they get better, they make changes, they win tough games. Maybe the Falcons will win a playoff game, and maybe they won't, but I don't think it has anything to do with them being "tough enough" or whatever the idea is supposed to be.

Football is about matchups and coaching and execution. The Falcons have been very well coached this season; I think Dirk Koetter would be one of my first phone calls if I were looking for a head coach, and the defense has been fast and physical, and they force a bunch of turnovers. Matt Ryan has never been better. The way they took the Giants apart showed how much better they are than last year. I don't think they should be mentioned among the NFC elite because "they're due," I think it's because they were one of the very best teams in the conference this season, and showed that they can win tough matchups against good teams.

If Seattle goes into DC and wins convincingly and that is Atlanta's first opponent, I think many will be picking Atlanta to go one and done again with ease. But, that also would be a lot of traveling for Seattle to go to DC, back to Seattle and then to Atlanta.

If Matt Ryan and the Falcons can't win ONE playoff game this year I might start to think they might never do it.......their first round options are two rookie QB led teams and one with Ponder. This is not Eli manning/Aaron Rodgers and Kurt Warner who are the QBs they lost to in the previous 3 trips with Ryan.

Regardless, I am still hoping GB proves me wrong in the NFC but that game vs. the Vikings did not do much for my confidence in their defense again......

Same old same old while fighting to keep the second seed they pull that junk. Yeah I know Peterson is amazing but when the second seed is on the line you got to be kidding me....

San Fran doesn't have a proven QB who can help carry the load should the D falter.

Yes, Kaep "led" the 49'ers to victory over the beast called New England. However, the truth is that SF beat the Patriots by virtue of their defense. This was in spite of constant 3 and outs down the stretch by the offense and something like four botched handoffs under center. Let alone all the horrible over/under throws that left points on the board throughout the game. An outstanding special teams return saved that game for SF.

SF, QB aside, is probably the best NFL team. The Patriots and Broncos are a close second and third largely in part to their QB play.

The Falcons have not played a real NFL team since Denver. Look at how they struggled against those cup cakes on their schedule. Washington would run it all over them, and I have not a doubt in my mind Seattle could beat them down.

The problem with the Niners is them wanting to change kickers going into the playoffs, that and the defensive meltdowns like in Seattle and New England.