Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 12/20 + Holiday Bonus

sb41champs

SORRY THIS IS BEING POSTED LATE - WEATHER ISSUES !!

:blueshoe:   5 DAYS UNTIL COLTSMAS !! :blueshoe: 

Will Andrew Luck's difficulties the past couple of Sunday's adversely impact his shot at the "NFL Rookie of the Year" award ??

CHRISTMAS BONUS:

Home or traveling for the holidays ??

1. Don't mean to rain on anyone's Christmas, but, Andrew will not receive, The ROY...too much of a popularity contest and we all know who the popular canidate is! Did I rain on anyone else's parade? Meow!

Why do so many people here have a "complex" about Luck regarding his perception outside of Indy? He has been universally bowed down to as "the next big thing" since before LAST season started. If he doesn't win the award it won't be because people don't like small markets (never seemed to hurt Peyton in the MVP voting, now did it?), it will be because someone else deserved it more. In that regard, yes, a poor game is going to impact his chances. The competition is WIDE open. Frankly Wilson is a far more compelling "story" at this point, all though he may fall a bit short statistically. However what do you think will happen if Wilson lights it up against the best defense in the league in prime time this week, if Luck can't hit 50% against one of the worst teams in the league? And Seattle isn't exactly the media capital of the world either.

Home sweet home.

Why do so many people here have a "complex" about Luck regarding his perception outside of Indy? He has been universally bowed down to as "the next big thing" since before LAST season started. If he doesn't win the award it won't be because people don't like small markets (never seemed to hurt Peyton in the MVP voting, now did it?), it will be because someone else deserved it more. In that regard, yes, a poor game is going to impact his chances. The competition is WIDE open. Frankly Wilson is a far more compelling "story" at this point, all though he may fall a bit short statistically. However what do you think will happen if Wilson lights it up against the best defense in the league in prime time this week, if Luck can't hit 50% against one of the worst teams in the league? And Seattle isn't exactly the media capital of the world either.

Home sweet home.

Just attempting to be realistic, not snarky. Most fans here in Indy are not denying that Andrew more than deserves to be a candidate, however, if you listen to ESPN or The NFL network a different perception comes through. And, don't several of those comentators place "votes" for that award? RG3, unless he lays an egg, will receive that award. That was the point I was attempting to make. JMO.

Just attempting to be realistic, not snarky. Most fans here in Indy are not denying that Andrew more than deserves to be a candidate, however, if you listen to ESPN or The NFL network a different perception comes through. And, don't several of those comentators place "votes" for that award? RG3, unless he lays an egg, will receive that award. That was the point I was attempting to make. JMO.

Actually what we consider to be the major NFL awards are the provenance of the Associated Press. Do you believe that the beat writers in Kansas City, Minneapolis, San Diego, etc have an east coast bias, or a small market bias? Or are you referring to a different type of  conspiracy theory? I'm afraid to ask.

And you're honestly telling me that you think that "ESPN" and "The NFL Network" don't even consider Luck to be a candidate? I think that you need to adjust your filter.

"Realistically" if ANYONE votes for Griffin, Wilson, or someone else it will because they think he had a better season. Isn't that the way it is supposed to work? Any disagreement that you have with them isn't "realism", it's your perception.

I really think at this point the decision of voters has already been made.  Short of Luck just going nuts these past couple of weeks and throwing for like 500 yards a game and 7 TDs in both games i don't think Luck is going to be able to do enough to change people's minds. 

Luck has not played well the past month outside of the last two minutes in the Lions game and I think that pretty much did him in in terms of this award.  Over that time RG3 has gotten the Redskins back into the playoff hunt and fair or not he's getting most of the credit for that.  Wison has equally been helped and hurt by playing on the west coast. He's hurt because unless you are doing something really well no one pays attention out there.  By the same token when he does make mistakes they don't get the same coverage that Luck and RG's mistakes would. 

Also Luck's biggest "trump" card is going up in smoke.  That was Luck having his team in the playoff picture while RG3 and Wilson did not.  Well now not only do both of them have their teams in the playoff hunt they might very well win their divisions. 

Also the national media hasn't gotten to see much of Luck this year so they tend to just look at stats without paying attention to what is going on.  Example, I was listening to the radio last night and a couple of national hosts were talking about the rookie of the year race and started talking about how Luck was doing things to cost his teams games with all his INTs and how Luck had to "show them" something.  They also talked about how Luck has one of the greatest WRs of this generation to play with in Wayne while RG3 and Wilson had no weapons to lean on like Luck did.  They ignore that just about everyone else Luck plays with is a rookie outside of Avery and greatly under value Garcon and Lynch as weapons for the other two QBs.  I don't think it's any mistake that once the Redskins got Garcon back is when they took off and who wouldn't want a back to lean on like Lynch.  Any rookie QB could do good things with a running back like that.  With that said that does seem to be the media's view point right now. 

I'll tell you something else that hurts Luck.  The media isn't going to want to give one team three post season awards and I think there are better cases to be made for the coaching staff for Coach of the Year and Grigson for GM of the Year than for Luck as Rookie of the Year. 

IMO, RG3 has a magical personality which has further catapulted him into being somewhat of a media darling. He is a good quarterback and The Redskin's are doing quite well "at the present time", however; looking back, there was also a section of this season where Luck was out performing RG3. My question is, what is the reason for being the Rookie of the Year? Is it for media attention and being on the main stage, or, being the best rookie quarterback? What is the most important recognition to each of these quarterbacks? It's easy to answer.