Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

David Garrard Released From Jags

PreManningColtsFan

Guest BlueShoe

It seems are friends from the South are imploding. We should get at least 2 wins by virtue of playing them this year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6936966/jacksonville-jaguars-release-david-garrard-days-opener

I actually see this as something that is very BAD for us. Gabbert is going to be a great quarterback and all they are doing is moving him into a situation where he plays earlier. Sure this year he will go through a learning curve, but he will be a star soon enough, in my opinion.

Best thing that could have happened for us is that they kept Garrard because that would have shown us that they have doubts about Gabbert. Prisco had several write ups this year on how impressed he was at Jags practices and raved about how well Gabbert was throwing the ball.

I actually see this as something that is very BAD for us. Gabbert is going to be a great quarterback and all they are doing is moving him into a situation where he plays earlier. Sure this year he will go through a learning curve, but he will be a star soon enough, in my opinion.

Best thing that could have happened for us is that they kept Garrard because that would have shown us that they have doubts about Gabbert. Prisco had several write ups this year on how impressed he was at Jags practices and raved about how well Gabbert was throwing the ball.

This is bad for us 5yrs from now, when Gabbert is actually developed. It takes a little while for a QB to enter their prime, so I don't know what you think is bad about this, unless you're looking 5-7yrs from now.

Freeny and Mathis will eat this kid alive. And Garrard would've been the better choice for this particular year, since he used to escape our pass rush A LOT, and even run TD's on us sometimes.

But this basically assures us, that the Jags, will probably be the worst team in the division this year. Unless they shock the world.

Really? O_o.. Gabbert could very well be the next David carr in the afc south, he better be mentally fit for this season cause he's gonna need all the help he can get. A QB that has no actual threat to throw to, yea hes gonna have a hard time, now all teams are gonna do is zero in on MJD and dare him to throw.

Guest BlueShoe

This is bad for us 5yrs from now, when Gabbert is actually developed. It takes a little while for a QB to enter their prime, so I don't know what you think is bad about this, unless you're looking 5-7yrs from now.

But this basically assures us, that the Jags, will probably be the worst team in the division this year. Unless they shock the world.

I disagree.

I don't think it will take Gabbert close to 5 years to develop. More like 1 year to start coming into his own. He is a very smart and talented player.

The Jags play good defense and they can run the ball. They will bring him along just like the Steelers did Big Ben. The only difference being that Gabbert has twice the upside of Big Ben, in my opinion.

Guest BlueShoe

Really? O_o.. Gabbert could very well be the next David carr in the afc south, he better be mentally fit for this season cause he's gonna need all the help he can get. A QB that has no actual threat to throw to, yea hes gonna have a hard time, now all teams are gonna do is zero in on MJD and dare him to throw.

Has anyone paid attention to this off-season?

I can understand why we have bias here, but I wish we could at least have a reasonable debate over other players outside the Colts organization who are actually good.

In my opinion, if Carr had all of the tools that Gabbert does then we would be saying "Schaub who?"

I can understand why we have bias here, but I wish we could at least have a reasonable debate over other players outside the Colts organization who are actually good.

In my opinion, if Carr had all of the tools that Gabbert does then we would be saying "Schaub who?"

Thats not even close to true, david carr was a good QB but he just had the worse Oline EVER and that affected him later on in his career. i follow the league very well, but i fail to see what makes you think gabbert is gonna be a threat later on, dont get me wrong that may very well happen BUT with the jags front office, coaching staff, surrounding talent, current division he's in... I dont see that happening. If youve noticed the only QB that was drafted in the afc south and has had a good career is Peyton manning, why because of a great surrounding cast. David carr didnt have it byron didnt have it annnnd neither does Gabbert.

Guest BlueShoe

Thats not even close to true, david carr was a good QB but he just had the worse Oline EVER and that affected him later on in his career. i follow the league very well, but i fail to see what makes you think gabbert is gonna be a threat later on, dont get me wrong that may very well happen BUT with the jags front office, coaching staff, surrounding talent, current division he's in... I dont see that happening. If youve noticed the only QB that was drafted in the afc south and has had a good career is Peyton manning, why because of a great surrounding cast. David carr didnt have it byron didnt have it annnnd neither does Gabbert.

I have said the same thing for several year about Carr, but that also says something about his mental toughness. Taking 60+ sacks a season did hurt him. Now that being said, he did have the Ken O'Brien disease because he hung onto the ball way too long. In fact, when I think of David Carr, I always think of Ken O'Brien.

Gabbert has an overwhelming presence about him and it is very clear to me that he is mentally tough. Plus he is on a team with a really good defense and they can run the ball. He will not be psyched out like Carr was.

The rest of the AFC South have made some great moves and with the loss of Peyton for who knows how long, we are going to have a very hard road.

Don't think for one second that we are the only team who can draft a great quarterback because while they might never have a Petyton Manning, they don't have to have a Peyton Manning to succeed.

I have said the same thing for several year about Carr, but that also says something about his mental toughness. Taking 60+ sacks a season did hurt him. Now that being said, he did have the Ken O'Brien disease because he hung onto the ball way too long. In fact, when I think of David Carr, I always think of Ken O'Brien.

Gabbert has an overwhelming presence about him and it is very clear to me that he is mentally tough. Plus he is on a team with a really good defense and they can run the ball. He will not be psyched out like Carr was.

The rest of the AFC South have made some great moves and with the loss of Peyton for who knows how long, we are going to have a very hard road.

Don't think for one second that we are the only team who can draft a great quarterback because while they might never have a Petyton Manning, they don't have to have a Peyton Manning to succeed.

I havent seen anything in Gabbert to say that he's gonna be a star in the nfl, byron and david had the same team dont expect a rookie to come and pick that team up... they still have a long way to go and until they get weapons for Gabbert he has a low average of actually being a threat in the south.

Guest BlueShoe

I havent seen anything in Gabbert to say that he's gonna be a star in the nfl, byron and david had the same team dont expect a rookie to come and pick that team up... they still have a long way to go and until they get weapons for Gabbert he has a low average of actually being a threat in the south.

Let me try this with you.

1. What do the Jags do well? They run the ball and they play good defense. That is their staple and it is because Del Rio was a linebacker and he plays old school ball.

2. What natural process happens to a team after they can run the ball, play good defense, and draft a star QB?

They continue to play good defense and run the ball to bring the rookie along.

3. What happens after the rookie QB catches up to the speed of the NFL?

The team then drafts receivers to push the ball down the field.

Right now the Jags are in stage 2. Next year they will be looking for receivers.

This was a really unexpected move. Not only was/is Garrard a better QB than Gabbert as of now (I'm predicting Gabbert to be much better in 3-5 few years than Garrard in his prime), but they are having McCown start for them from what I heard. Gabbert is definitely better than McCown, what has that guy done in the league that any coach (much less one on a hot seat) would be comfortable naming him the starter?

Let me try this with you.

1. What do the Jags do well? They run the ball and they play good defense. That is their staple and it is because Del Rio was a linebacker and he plays old school ball.

2. What natural process happens to a team after they can run the ball, play good defense, and draft a star QB?

They continue to play good defense and run the ball to bring the rookie along.

3. What happens after the rookie QB catches up to the speed of the NFL?

The team then drafts receivers to push the ball down the field.

Right now the Jags are in stage 2. Next year they will be looking for receivers.

The Jags were a force when they had their two great DT's but they dont have that anymore hence they are not that good of a defense anymore. If what you say there is true then how come when David had that stellar season for the Jags they didnt draft an early round pic WR?... You dont wait till your QB gets good to give him options if any coach thought like that they would fire him.. You give him weapons YESTERDAY so he can have some cohesion with that WR. Those stages you are talking about dont exist at all.

Guest BlueShoe

The Jags were a force when they had their two great DT's but they dont have that anymore hence they are not that good of a defense anymore. If what you say there is true then how come when David had that stellar season for the Jags they didnt draft an early round pic WR?... You dont wait till your QB gets good to give him options if any coach thought like that they would fire him.. You give him weapons YESTERDAY so he can have some cohesion with that WR. Those stages you are talking about dont exist at all.

They did give Garrard the receivers to succeed but Garrard wasn't the right man for the job. Mike Simms-Walker, Mike Thomas, and they missed badly on Matt Jones.

This year they drafted Cecil Shorts who could be a good receiver, but certainly wasn't a high pick at WR like we can expect next year from them.

The Jags strength is that they are a physical team and that's how they build their team. Gabbert is a game changer for them in that he has the ability to open their offense up.

They did give Garrard the receivers to succeed but Garrard wasn't the right man for the job. Mike Simms-Walker, Mike Thomas, and they missed badly on Matt Jones.

This year they drafted Cecil Shorts who could be a good receiver, but certainly wasn't a high pick at WR like we can expect next year from them.

The Jags strength is that they are a physical team and that's how they build their team. Gabbert is a game changer for them in that he has the ability to open their offense up.

Mike simms walker was already there when garrard had that steller season and mike thomas it was his rookie season i believe. Matt jones shouldnt even be in this subject, point is your stages doesnt make much sense given the fact that your franchise QB should already or be getting help at the WR position... I dont even think mike sims walker is even with the jags anymore.

Guest BlueShoe

Mike simms walker was already there when garrard had that steller season and mike thomas it was his rookie season i believe. Matt jones shouldnt even be in this subject, point is your stages doesnt make much sense given the fact that your franchise QB should already or be getting help at the WR position... I dont even think mike sims walker is even with the jags anymore.

Garrard was with Jacksonville way back in 2002. Many people had the opinion then that he was the best backup QB in the game. While he wasn't the starter, he did play every year to spell Leftwich when he was hurt.

Since around 2006 Garrard was starting more games than any other Jags QB even though he wasn't named the full time starter.

Mike Simms-Walker is with the Rams now. He had issues with the front office and the coaching staff and was even suspended by the team before, but there is no mistaking his talent.

My stages do make sense. It is how the old school teams who depend on running the ball and playing great defense build their teams. Just look at the Steelers, the Jets, and the Ravens.

Not all teams try to get a quarterback first and then build the team around him.

No we wouldn't several other teams were interested in Schaub when he was traded. Most people thought he was going to be good when he was Vick's back up which is why he had trade value at the time. So Schaub would have gone some place else that needed a QB at the time and be good there.

As for Carr, he was done in by a poor line it's hard to say what he would have been if he had a line while he was there.

Good for us

Yes that's the big news here. I think it's only a matter of time till Gabbert is on the field but he's still a rookie but you don't release your starting QB unless you plan on playing your future in the very near future.

It will be interesting to see who picks up Garrard. He's too good for someone not to pick him up. Maybe we bring him in as a back up when we play the Jags (I am kidding!)

Guest BlueShoe

No we wouldn't several other teams were interested in Schaub when he was traded. Most people thought he was going to be good when he was Vick's back up which is why he had trade value at the time. So Schaub would have gone some place else that needed a QB at the time and be good there.

My point was that Schaub wouldn't be playing for the Texans right now.

It is very common knowledge that he was very sought after by many teams when he was in Atlanta.

My point was that Schaub wouldn't be playing for the Texans right now.

It is very common knowledge that he was very sought after by many teams when he was in Atlanta.

Then say that rather than we would be saying Schaub who.

Either way it didn't work it out for Carr because he didn't have the tools so Schaub is there now. Also it's not exactly like Carr has gone on to be anything but a back up that has bounced around the league when he got in a better situation. While I agree the line didn't help Carr I also just think that Carr isn't that good.

Guest BlueShoe

Then say that rather than we would be saying Schaub who.

Either way it didn't work it out for Carr because he didn't have the tools so Schaub is there now. Also it's not exactly like Carr has gone on to be anything but a back up that has bounced around the league when he got in a better situation. While I agree the line didn't help Carr I also just think that Carr isn't that good.

If you read this entire thread then you would see that you're saying the same thing that I am. :rolleyes:

If you read this entire thread then you would see that you're saying the same thing that I am. :rolleyes:

Not really you are saying if Carr had the tools that Schaub had he would have been just as good. I don't agree I think Carr just wasn't that good even with the poor line. I think Schaub was going to be good where ever he went.

Guest BlueShoe

Not really you are saying if Carr had the tools that Schaub had he would have been just as good. I don't agree I think Carr just wasn't that good even with the poor line. I think Schaub was going to be good where ever he went.

What? I said that Carr was not mentally tough enough to begin with. So yes we are saying the same thing here.

What? I said that Carr was not mentally tough enough to begin with. So yes we are saying the same thing here.

Okay I got it off this

Now when I back and read it again I think I cuaght what you were trying to do but it really left me head scratching. You are trying to say Carr if had good players around him like you think Gabbert does (that's up for the debate beyond MJD and Lewis but that's a whole other topic) that people would have never have heard of Schaub (that's what Schaub who comes across as which is why I said if you are trying to say Schaub would be playing some place else then say that). That I can buy if you think Carr is a good QB. If you don't think Carr was a good QB then it doesn't matter who he had around him he wasn't going to be good. I think he's just your middle of the road back up QB that was just not going to be good where ever he went and the Texans would have traded for Schaub regardless but that's neither here nor there at this point because it didn't happen.

Guest BlueShoe

Now when I back and read it again I think I cuaght what you were trying to do but it really left me head scratching. You are trying to say Carr if had good players around him like you think Gabbert does (that's up for the debate beyond MJD and Lewis but that's a whole other topic) that people would have never have heard of Schaub (that's what Schaub who comes across as which is why I said if you are trying to say Schaub would be playing some place else then say that). That I can buy if you think Carr is a good QB. If you don't think Carr was a good QB then it doesn't matter who he had around him he wasn't going to be good. I think he's just your middle of the road back up QB that was just not going to be good where ever he went and the Texans would have traded for Schaub regardless but that's neither here nor there at this point because it didn't happen.

No problem.

What I was saying is that I believe that Blaine Gabbert is the best quarterback in this entire draft and that he has more tools than Carr and he is mentally tough which Carr wasn't. Gabbert also has the right type of team to bring him along slowly. The Jags like to run the ball and play great defense. It is the staple that they build their team around. Now add Gabbert to the mix and we have a game changer in my opinion. I believe that over the next few years we could see that offense open up like it did back in Brunell’s younger days.

No matter how we slice it, all of the teams in our division made some great strides this offseason and through the draft. They are closing the gap on us.

In my opinion, without Peyton for the entire season, we could end up in last place in the AFC South and have a top 3 pick.

No problem.

What I was saying is that I believe that Blaine Gabbert is the best quarterback in this entire draft and that he has more tools than Carr and he is mentally tough which Carr wasn't. Gabbert also has the right type of team to bring him along slowly. The Jags like to run the ball and play great defense. It is the staple that they build their team around. Now add Gabbert to the mix and we have a game changer in my opinion. I believe that over the next few years we could see that offense open up like it did back in Brunell’s younger days.

No matter how we slice it, all of the teams in our division made some great strides this offseason and through the draft. They are closing the gap on us.

In my opinion, without Peyton for the entire season, we could end up in last place in the AFC South and have a top 3 pick.

Which is what you are supposed to do when you have high draft picks. They have been closing the gap on us for years. Frankly only one of them has over taken us, the Titans for one season. Despite all these years of closing the gap those teams keep having high draft picks so they can over take us. It's not going to last forever, one of these days and who knows maybe sooner rather than later we are going to be over taken but as long as Manning is a Colt we are going to be in the running for the division. I am looking long picture this beyond this year. If we don't have Manning for the year a lot of people are going to say fluke year sort like they did the year Miami won the East when Brady was out. The Pats were still the favorites and did win the division the following year when Brady came back.

Also till Peyton is prounced out for the whole season let's not just assume he is. For all we know he might play in a month. If you look at the first month of our schedule we could very well be 2-2 when he gets back. Are you going to tell me we can't over come that?

agree

Carr held the ball to long , thats equated to many of his sacks, thats what i woorry about Collins long windup, Titans gave him alot of time and the Defenses were worrying about the CJ run,

Will take time for our line to give him that time and for collins to become aware of time he has, though after all these years should learn fast, also if he had stepped up into pocket and threw , the 2 times his arms were hit in preseason game they wouldnt off

Carr held the ball to long , thats equated to many of his sacks, thats what i woorry about Collins long windup, Titans gave him alot of time and the Defenses were worrying about the CJ run,

Will take time for our line to give him that time and for collins to become aware of time he has, though after all these years should learn fast, also if he had stepped up into pocket and threw , the 2 times his arms were hit in preseason game they wouldnt off

Nahhh you cant blame Carr's sacks on him yes he has a weird throwing motion, but his Oline was beyond horrible. Collins also has a weird throwing motion we'll just have to see how that works.

the only reason big ben did ANYTHING is cuz of a crappy call in sb 40

we all know SEAHAWKS really won that game

most of thhe so called :greats:in the nfl

Tom brady

Ben Roethlisberger

Drew brees

all won gaes leadin up to the SB or The SB itself due to crappy reffing

peyton,micheal vick,aaron rodgers all actually had to WORK to where theyre at

Mod Note: Insulting nicknames are a violation of forum rules.

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras§ion=boardrules

Collins ALSO holds the ball too long. He just stands there oblivious to everything until he either releases the ball or gets his clock cleaned. The throwing motion is just a bonus.

What I was saying is that I believe that Blaine Gabbert is the best quarterback in this entire draft and that he has more tools than Carr and he is mentally tough which Carr wasn't.

I was under the impression that Carr had the "mentally tough" beaten out of him. The poor guy is probably getting therapy somewhere as we speak.

I don't know much about Gabbert or the Titans new QB. A franchise QB can certainly make all the difference as we all know.

What I do know is that the Texans have spent their first round pick on defense 7 times in the past 8 years - largely in the name of stopping the Colts - and it's worked so well for them that they just blew up their defense. Some of the early picks who should be studs in their prime aren't even on the team. In the meantime Shaub is already 30, and at his best he isn't any better than Collins anyway.