Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Luck ever audible?

haughvillian

OK...I'm as excited and as optomistic about Luck and his continued development, but one thing I've noticed is I don't see him ever audible at the line of scrimmage. Maybe he doesn't have the green light to do so but I know he did a lot in college when he came to the line and looked at the defense. I don't see this mentioned but it would seem that he just runs the play called. He may audible from time to time but I don't notice it very much. Thoughts?

OK...I'm as excited and as optomistic about Luck and his continued development, but one thing I've noticed is I don't see him ever audible at the line of scrimmage. Maybe he doesn't have the green light to do so but I know he did a lot in college when he came to the line and looked at the defense. I don't see this mentioned but it would seem that he just runs the play called. He may audible from time to time but I don't notice it very much. Thoughts?

Good question! Actually Luck audibles all the time, he just doesn't do it the same way Peyton did it. Most of the time whenever you see Luck raise his arms up like an airplane he is changing the play. Sometimes he might point a little bit, then he'll raise his arms like an airplane. That's what he does.

He certainly changes up protection quite a lot. Arians said that Luck was very useful in the running game by spotting different types of coverage and switching up protection to suit that. As for how often he audibles to actual different playcalls, I can't say for sure, but I'd expect to see it filtering in.

I know for sure that I say him audible in the Browns game. He saw the protection and noticed how far off the defender was playing from the receiver. He audibled to a quick slant for a pick up of about 7 yeards. On the next play, they went to the line of scrimmage and the defense gave the same exact look. He audibled to that play again for a first down.