Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Tavon Austin worth an early 3rd round pick?

I was thinking of possible slot wideouts that would fit Arians' system. But then, Cotchery was not a speed demon but was used in the slot by Arians.

How good is that Josh Boyce guy of TCU? Is he a slot wideout kind since we probably would need a slot wideout from rounds 3 or 4, IMO, if we let go of Collie?

I was thinking of possible slot wideouts that would fit Arians' system. But then, Cotchery was not a speed demon but was used in the slot by Arians.

How good is that Josh Boyce guy of TCU? Is he a slot wideout kind since we probably would need a slot wideout from rounds 3 or 4, IMO, if we let go of Collie?

TY HILTON BRO

I like that Stedman Baily out of WV who had 13 catches for 303 yds and 5 TDs vs Baylor. He's 5'11" 195 but can play bigger than that. He has good hands runs solid routes and runs a low 4.4 or high 4.3 40. He's smooth and gets down field in a hurry. He can create after the catch to. He plays alot outside and plays slot too.

Stats so far this season in 4 games 41 Catches 635 Yds 14.35 Avg Ypc and 8 TD's. Ummmm those are some #1 type numbers and this with another stud reciver like Austin. There is still 6-7 games left folks. He's on a pace to possibly have over 1500 Yds and maybe 18TD's just for this season. I would not mind having this guy at all. Tavons numbers are insane as well but Id like this guy a lil more because he's somewhat bigger and has about 20 extra pounds on him.

I like that Stedman Baily out of WV who had 13 catches for 303 yds and 5 TDs vs Baylor. He's 5'11" 195 but can play bigger than that. He has good hands runs solid routes and runs a low 4.4 or high 4.3 40. He's smooth and gets down field in a hurry. He can create after the catch to. He plays alot outside and plays slot too.

Stats so far this season in 4 games 41 Catches 635 Yds 14.35 Avg Ypc and 8 TD's. Ummmm those are some #1 type numbers and this with another stud reciver like Austin. There is still 6-7 games left folks. He's on a pace to possibly have over 1500 Yds and maybe 18TD's just for this season. I would not mind having this guy at all. Tavons numbers are insane as well but Id like this guy a lil more because he's somewhat bigger and has about 20 extra pounds on him.

Once Wayne is done we could Have Bailey on one side, Avery on the other And Hilton in the slot with Adams and Brazil or Whalen when he's back next year if we keep him as back ups. All of our recivers would have big play capability and would be hard to stop that speed. Then you have Fleener and Allen working the middle and up the seams. Dangerous group there. Just throwing out possibilities. Probably wont happen though.

I was thinking Austin but not in the 3rd, we dont have a 2nd round pick right now and while WR will be a need going forward its not a serious need right now. Walter Football (even though its far to early thinks he will go as late as 4th or 5th, I am thinking we can hold off until later rounds (compensatory picks perhaps)in the 5th or 6th and take Keenan Davis out of Iowa or Quinton Patton only problem I could see why we would not take either of them is they dont appear to fit the type of receiver Arians appears to want, Patton is 6'2" and Keenan is also 6'2". Also another WR that may fit Arians mold Chad Bumphis 5'10" 200lbs from Mississippi State or Roy Roundtree 6'0 177lbs from Michigan, neither have benefited from decent QB play but in 2010 Bumphis caught 44 passes for 634 yards also in 2010 Rountree caught 72 passes for 935 yards, I doubt either will ever be a #1 receiver for us or that we even have 1 on our roster now but we have bigger needs at the moment

I think the answer is............. Maybe.

I think his grade will depend heavily on how he measures and tests... How big? How fast? How does he do in drills? How good are his hands?

Here's an early write-up on him. If this is accurate, he's smaller than TY Hilton, but **might** be a bit faster? Might be.

http://www.nfldrafts...=2013&genpos=WR

This might put him a 'bubble'.... and how he does at this school Pro Day as well as the NFL Combine could make or break his draft stock.

It should be noted, I'm speaking as to Austin's grade, NOT whether or not the Colts should take him in the 3rd round. I think our needs are so pressing all over the defense and the OL, that WR needs might need to be focused on Free Agency.

I think the answer is............. Maybe.

I think his grade will depend heavily on how he measures and tests... How big? How fast? How does he do in drills? How good are his hands?

Here's an early write-up on him. If this is accurate, he's smaller than TY Hilton, but **might** be a bit faster? Might be.

http://www.nfldrafts...=2013&genpos=WR

This might put him a 'bubble'.... and how he does at this school Pro Day as well as the NFL Combine could make or break his draft stock.

It should be noted, I'm speaking as to Austin's grade, NOT whether or not the Colts should take him in the 3rd round. I think our needs are so pressing all over the defense and the OL, that WR needs might need to be focused on Free Agency.

Wes Welker is 5'9" but did not flourish till he was paired with an elite QB in Brady.

Tavon Austin's game projects much like Randall Cobb, IMO, based on all that I am seeing and hearing. PR/KR/Harvin or Cobb like roles out of the backfield etc.

If I see the Colts use T.Y.Hilton like that (which I do not see why we cannot do that), I would definitely scratch his name off, like Nobody said. :)

With Collie out, Lavon Brazil will see way more reps and so will T.Y.Hilton and it will be interesting to see how these young wideouts flourish. Right now, our talk is obviously speculative. :)