Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 09/19

sb41champs

During one of the television pre-game shows on Sunday - the conversation about the Detroit Lions @ SF 49er's conversation turned to last seasons "handshake issue" between Coach Jim Harbaugh & Coach Jim Schwartz - and - whether or not there would be any continued issue in Sunday's showdown.

The comment was made that former Colts QB - and - current SF 49er's Head Coach Jim Harbaugh has a "prickly personality" !! It was speculated that this personality issue probably cost him the "2011 NFL Coach of the Year" award !!

Agree or disagree with either - or - both ??

I dont think it cost him and shame on the voters if it did, Harbaugh showed a little excitement after winning that game BIG DEAL and MAYBE tapped him a little harder then what Schwartz could handle, maybe Schwartz wore padding this time? it was blown completely out of proportion regardless, just to add to the build up of the game.

"prickly personality" is mild when describing Harbaugh. He is a fierce competitor, and it translates into his coaching style.He is high strung, and is willing to fight , just like he did when he was a player. (if anyone remembers when he broke his hand punching Jim Kelly for calling him a baby numerous times).

Seems to me that some people take offense to some of his actions, but to me, he was the coach of the year by far last season, and possibly again this season. I can't say for sure, but I believe that the incident with Schwartz, and his in your face style, turned off enough voters to lose him the coach of the year.

I still laugh every time they replay that. Schwartz was being a total wuss. Take your loss and let the other coach celebrate. If this cost Jim COY then all that proves to me is what a huge joke of an award it really is. Sadly most awards are popularity contests anyways. Kinda like voting for class president or king/queen of the prom in high school.

How many great coaches in the history of all sports have had grating personalities and/or bad tempers? This should have no bearing on Harbaugh winning COY, which he definitely deserved along with some consideration for Schwartz. Infact, Schwartz comes off as someone that would be hard to get along with as well, probably why those two do not get along, strong personalities usually clash. If this did cost hard Harbaugh COY, just add it to another thing that puts a bigger chip on his shoulder and consider myself disappointed. If it's a popularity contest nine times out of ten, the wrong coach will get it. Last time I checked Bill Belichick doesn't make too many friends either.

This is the same Jim Harbaugh who once broke his hand punching Jim Kelly in the face and had to miss time during the season as a result. No doubt about it Harbaugh is hot tempered to say the least. As much as I love the guy I can understand how that makes others not like him because if you aren't a fan of his he can come across as a jerk. Remember how he treated Pete Carrol during their short time together in the PAC 10.

I'd like to add to this Schwartz is no Tony Dungy or Jim Caldwell in the emotions department either.

How many great coaches in the history of all sports have had grating personalities and/or bad tempers? This should have no bearing on Harbaugh winning COY, which he definitely deserved along with some consideration for Schwartz. Infact, Schwartz comes off as someone that would be hard to get along with as well, probably why those two do not get along, strong personalities usually clash. If this did cost hard Harbaugh COY, just add it to another thing that puts a bigger chip on his shoulder and consider myself disappointed. If it's a popularity contest nine times out of ten, the wrong coach will get it. Last time I checked Bill Belichick doesn't make too many friends either.

Woody Hayes was a real charmer...and My old buddy Bob Knight. "Don't I look happy?"