Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think Luck will have a better rookie season than Peyton Manning did?

StewieG

I absolutely hate questions like this one. NFL rules have changed drastically since 1998. Plus, it minimizes what Manning accomplished in his rookie campaign and it makes it harder for Luck to become his own man, his own leader of men, and his own interpreter at the line of scrimmage. Luck cannot step outside the Manning shadow if the connection to the future HOF legend is never severed.

As President Abraham Lincoln is bleeding to death at Ford's Theater in 1865 by assassin John Wilks Booth, do you think his cabinet asked him if he felt that he was a better Commander-In-Chief than his predecessor James Buchanan? :facepalm:

Yes, I am being slightly sarcastic here and yes, I acknowledge that the question can indeed be asked certainly. However, every field general is different and must be allowed to develop on their own record and time table IMO.

Yes, no, maybe, possibly, perhaps, maybe not, doubtful, indoubtedly, sure why not, definitely NO, I'm not sure, could be, it could not be, most definitely, most definitely not, unknown, I don't know, he surely will, who knows.......

haha

looks like you got it covered ;)

Luck's season and numbers, in a nutshell will depend on how well the D plays.

If the D keeps games close enough, Luck wont be winging it as much and we will have some balance in our offense and less INTs for Luck. If the D is generous and gives up points like Peyton's initial few years, Luck can approach Peyton's numbers with the new pass friendly rules since he will be playing from behind more and throwing more, which would also mean more INTs.

D plays middle of the league level overall - Luck gets close to 6-8 wins, has 3000-3200 yards in passing, 18-20 TDs, 10-12 INTs

D plays bottom 5 of the league level overall - Luck gets close to 4-5 wins, but has 3500+ yards in passing, 22-25 TDs, 15-18 INTs.

Luck's season and numbers, in a nutshell will depend on how well the D plays.

If the D keeps games close enough, Luck wont be winging it as much and we will have some balance in our offense and less INTs for Luck. If the D is generous and gives up points like Peyton's initial few years, Luck can approach Peyton's numbers with the new pass friendly rules since he will be playing from behind more and throwing more, which would also mean more INTs.

D plays middle of the league level overall - Luck gets close to 6-8 wins, has 3000-3200 yards in passing, 18-20 TDs, 10-12 INTs

D plays bottom 5 of the league level overall - Luck gets close to 4-5 wins, but has 3500+ yards in passing, 22-25 TDs, 15-18 INTs.

Manning had 60.5% of his pass plays called when the team was losing.

73.2% of them were tied or behind.

26.6% of them were behind 2 or more scores(9+ points)

I doubt the defense allows Luck to have similar statements made at the end of the year.

I fully grasp that Manning and Luck were drafted in the 1st round to resurrect the Blue Horseshoe and I also recognize that they both acquired a touchdown on their 1st play as a professional quarterback, but beyond that all comparisons stop dead in their tracks. Let Luck lead his squad; let Manning now lead his new squad. Thank you.

I fully grasp that Manning and Luck were drafted in the 1st round to resurrect the Blue Horseshoe and I also recognize that they both acquired a touchdown on their 1st play as a professional quarterback, but beyond that all comparisons stop dead in their tracks. Let Luck lead his squad; let Manning now lead his new squad. Thank you.

That is how it should be, but we both know that at the end of week 1 there will be two things.

1 ) Manning threw for 302 & 1 td vs. Miami in 1998 and Luck threw for x yards and x td vs. Chicago.

2 ) Manning threw for x yards and x td vs. Pittsburgh and Luck threw for x yards and x td vs. Chicago.

Someone will make the comparison here and I'm sure someone with the Star will make the comparison in the paper, and I'm sure ESPN already has the graphics built they are just waiting to plug in the #'s.

That is how it should be, but we both know that at the end of week 1 there will be two things.

1 ) Manning threw for 302 & 1 td vs. Miami in 1998 and Luck threw for x yards and x td vs. Chicago.

2 ) Manning threw for x yards and x td vs. Pittsburgh and Luck threw for x yards and x td vs. Chicago.

Someone will make the comparison here and I'm sure someone with the Star will make the comparison in the paper, and I'm sure ESPN already has the graphics built they are just waiting to plug in the #'s.

But that's what the media gets paid to do. And we as fans drink it up.

I ran out of likes FJC, but once again you are right as rain. What makes you an insightful blogger and analyst is that you comprehend the downfall of statistics, comparisons, and soundbites that are often counterproductive to in depth dissection. Statistics have their place, but so does critical thinking and pointing out differences as opposed to coerced similarities that are seldom if ever cogent and relevant. It is easier to compare vs contrast. It is easier to point out tendencies vs. anomalies. It is easier to function on talking points and autopilot vs. reason and really think.

Some might get drunk on that concoction of junk. I'll give you that.

It is entertainment, right? Or did I miss the memo that it's more serious?

It's a media driven world now, and that's how it is. No one is forcing anyone to watch espn, nfl network, etc...... they could just watch the game and move on.