Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Edholm: Keep an eye on Colts and Roquan Smith

I would be ok with Smith at 6. Obviously, it depends on how the first five picks shake out and what QB's are still available. I just believe with the value and depth of interior offensive lineman that will likely be available at the top of the second round, the Colts are going defense, unless Barkley slides or they really like Nelson. To me, the Colts are in a great situation to where they can get an impact player or fleece a desperate team.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

It's funny how people keep calling Smith a "Will".   Did you not see how the reports from Pauline and some of the other sources tell you the Colts see him as being able to do both things?  It's kind of obvious they have a bit of a different read on things than us.  Even if my personal belief is he's better off at Will, that certainly doesn't over ride how the team views what he's able to do.

Many people watch his tape and make that conclusion.   A MLB that can't shed blocks is a problem. 

As a WILL be can run a bit freer

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Many people watch his tape and make that conclusion.   A MLB that can't shed blocks is a problem. 

It doesn't matter who the "Many People" are if the Colts and their staff feel otherwise.  Which is what the reports seem to indicate.  Our opinions don't really matter.  We don't have a clue what their vision is for him in their scheme.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

It doesn't matter who the "Many People" are if the Colts and their staff feel otherwise.  Which is what the reports seem to indicate.  Our opinions don't really matter.  We don't have a clue what their vision is for him in their scheme.

Yeah, kinda like with Simon, some people were surprised that Ballard said he'd be at DE. I think it makes sense because that's where he was at OSU, but there were quite a few who thought he'd no doubt be our Sam backer.

4 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yup, kinda like with Simon, some people seemed surprised that they're moving him to the DL. Not surprising to me because that's where he was at OSU, but there were quite a few who thought he'd no doubt be our Sam backer.

I didn't think it was crazy.  We have played with undersized DE in this scheme in the past. I mean I could see why people were saying linebacker, but I didn't automatically shoot him down from playing end because I know the end all be all for this scheme is speed for the most part and Simon has that.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I didn't think it was crazy.  We have played with undersized DE in this schem in the past.

I mean I could see why people were saying linebacker, but I didn't automatically shoot him down from playing end because I know the end all be all is the speed in this scheme and Simon has that.

Yeah, I like the idea of him at there too. Him and Sheard, hopefully with Basham getting his fair share of reps, it could be at the very least not a terrible weakness on D.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, krunk said:

It's funny how people keep calling Smith a "Will".   Did you not see how the reports from Pauline and some of the other sources tell you the Colts see him as being able to do both things?  It's kind of obvious they have a bit of a different read on things than us.  Even if my personal belief is he's better off at Will, that certainly doesn't over ride how the team views what he's able to do.

I've been saying for a long time now... Smith is a WILL on 1st down and run situations (WILL is least blocked LB by lineman, compared to "SAM and MIKE"), but can be an excellent MIKE in passing situations ( sub packages, Nickel and Dime). People don't want to hear it.  I also want to see T.J. Green plans this year.

9 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

In Nickel and Dime, there is no blocker getting out on him...it's called illegal lineman downfield...

He can be the WILL on 1st down and running situations.

18 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

In Nickel and Dime, there is no blocker getting out on him...it's called illegal lineman downfield...

He can be the WILL on 1st down and running situations.

We will see if he is the guy......

2 days to go