Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NCAA to experiment at NIT with four rule changes in basketball

https://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/02/ncaa-basketball-rule-changes-college-basketball-news/

1. The three-point line will be extended by approximately 20 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
  2. The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
  3. The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
  4. The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

Good ideas..

the 3-point shot should be extended much further than that..maybe 25 feet. Its an easy shot for too many,.

End-of-quarter plays add to the gamer..that's good too

The re-set is also a good idea...IF you are going to have a shot clock,.,.make the offense attack..

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:37 AM, chad72 said:

https://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/02/ncaa-basketball-rule-changes-college-basketball-news/

1. The three-point line will be extended by approximately 20 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
  2. The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
  3. The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
  4. The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

I've been watching.....these were awesome rules...and hope they get instituted. Games drag on when teams get into the bonus early with fouls and then they shoot like 30 free throws and a team can't be aggressive on defense anymore. If it resets each quarter I think it works better. Quarters totally make sense and I think it is something they go to. Not only does every level of basketball do this already including womens but the end of quarter scenerios are exciting plays and people like those.

The 3pt line I think is a must. Right now it is not difficult enough. I watched several games and I can tell you now...it made a huge difference on how many 3's were hit. Only the very best shooters looked good shooting it. It forced the teams to defend further away from the basket opening up more driving and room for post play. It also would mean less upsets. The 3 ball allows for more parity in college because you can beat a better all around team by just shooting 3s. It would make teams really have to evaluate the shot and their choices because it is more difficult and percentage wise they couldn't just live and die with the 3.

Overall I've liked them...I hope the NCAA puts them into effect.