Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Football Focus had Sean Spence as 3rd most efficient tackler

ColtsBlitz

2 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Welp, that's better than 3rd to last I guess.  Other than that, IDK what to make of it.

Just a better tackler than what we had. So pretty much we know he's an upgrade, unless someone else steps up

Just now, ColtsBlitz said:

Just a better tackler than what we had. So pretty much we know he's an upgrade, unless someone else steps up

How do they calculate this?  Is it just opportunities vs. execution?  Or something else added in?

18 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

How do they calculate this?  Is it just opportunities vs. execution?  Or something else added in?

Probably tackle per attempt. Gives percentage and his was probably ranked 3rd best so he's the 3rd most efficient

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Probably tackle per attempt. Gives percentage and his was probably ranked 3rd best so he's the 3rd most efficient

OK.  I wonder if they also add in assists and if he made a tackle he wasn't expected to make like when a guy comes from "nowhere" and makes the tackle, etc.

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

OK.  I wonder if they also add in assists and if he made a tackle he wasn't expected to make like when a guy comes from "nowhere" and makes the tackle, etc.

It's definitely a science I don't fully understand. If PFF has him ranked that high though, it's at least a positive at something we lacked all season last year. 

It's a basic function of the defense and something that was sorely missed last year. I like watching Spence's highlights.  He knows how to tackle and I'm thrilled that he's a Colt now.  I see him as one of the starters at ILB.

On 5/5/2017 at 2:14 PM, ColtsBlitz said:

Great for us considering we had so many missed tackles. Hopefully will bring that with him and teach our young backers. 

As long as this isn't a percentage of opportunities vs. tackles made.

If so, it actually could reward a sure handed tackler but one that is so slow, he just doesn't get in position to make many tackles.  I've never watched him play, but surely he must be better than what we are used to seeing!