Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots Free Agents

The Patriots have 16 players heading to free agency this year. They are currently almost 8 million over the cap (meaning they're in the red) if you count the huge option on Revis' contract. Their free agents include a lot of contributors and even stars- Revis, Devin McCourty, Ridley and Vereen, Gostkowski, Dan Connoly, Alan Branch, and more. Belicheck will presumably pull some dark magic and get more out of this than he should, but the fact is they won't be able to keep everyone together. This will be one of the more interesting parts of the offseason to watch IMO. Who would you be interested in if available? What are they worth?

More and more, I'm thinking McCourty goes. Just a feeling. We'll see, come tomorrow, if he gets the tag.

But keep in mind, they might get a $10m cap credit for Hernandez's bonus money. And they'll probably void Revis' option, taking another $20m off the books. I think they'll re-sign Revis for something around $12-15m/year, but that can be arranged to free up space in 2015 so they can keep the FAs they want.

They won't keep both Vereen and Ridley; I think Vereen is the more specialized player and has more value to them. 

Connoly is probably gone. Gostkowski is replaceable, and if he isn't tagged, I think there are teams that will offer him top 5 kicker money (how badly do the Lions need a reliable kicker?) 

I think they know the sharks are circling, and will do their best to hang on to their core guys and make another run in 2016. I don't think they'll be quite as willing to watch good players leave as the Ravens were after 2012. But I think they'll be very resistant to the idea of paying McCourty $8-10m/year, which I think is his FA value.

More and more, I'm thinking McCourty goes. Just a feeling. We'll see, come tomorrow, if he gets the tag.

But keep in mind, they might get a $10m cap credit for Hernandez's bonus money. And they'll probably void Revis' option, taking another $20m off the books. I think they'll re-sign Revis for something around $12-15m/year, but that can be arranged to free up space in 2015 so they can keep the FAs they want.

They won't keep both Vereen and Ridley; I think Vereen is the more specialized player and has more value to them. 

Connoly is probably gone. Gostkowski is replaceable, and if he isn't tagged, I think there are teams that will offer him top 5 kicker money (how badly do the Lions need a reliable kicker?) 

I think they know the sharks are circling, and will do their best to hang on to their core guys and make another run in 2016. I don't think they'll be quite as willing to watch good players leave as the Ravens were after 2012. But I think they'll be very resistant to the idea of paying McCourty $8-10m/year, which I think is his FA value.

Just asking....

If McCourtey comes free,  (A) do you want him and (B) at how much on the contract?

Just asking....

If McCourtey comes free,  (A) do you want him and (B) at how much on the contract?

I'd want him. I wanted him more a few weeks ago, but now I'm thinking he's not quite the kind of player that would really benefit our secondary. We really need a guy who can cover TEs and slot receivers man up, and who can also support the run. McCourty isn't great in man coverage, which is partly why he moved to safety, and he's not a physical run defender. Certainly not weak in either area, but not outstanding, either.

I was previously okay with doing $8m/year for him. I don't know if I still feel the same way.

My first choice at safety is Da'Norris Searcy. I'd rather do the $8m/year for him. And he doesn't come with the Super Bowl tax.

I'd want him. I wanted him more a few weeks ago, but now I'm thinking he's not quite the kind of player that would really benefit our secondary. We really need a guy who can cover TEs and slot receivers man up, and who can also support the run. McCourty isn't great in man coverage, which is partly why he moved to safety, and he's not a physical run defender. Certainly not weak in either area, but not outstanding, either.

I was previously okay with doing $8m/year for him. I don't know if I still feel the same way.

My first choice at safety is Da'Norris Searcy. I'd rather do the $8m/year for him. And he doesn't come with the Super Bowl tax.

Wow,  you think Searcy could command 8Mill per year,  or is that a misread on your meaning?

I thought he'd be much cheaper...   like perhaps $4-5 Mill per year...?

Searcy is my choice too! :)

McCourty will establish Searcy's value very quickly on the market.

Searcy is the kind of player that Grigson has been known to go after and will be had for 40-50 percent less cash(assuming).

That saved money could be used to lure Tyvon Branch to the Colts to rehab his value(and his body) as our SS.

Even if our safety corps were more of a rotational bunch... the talent we could have in the game would be decent. 

Wow, you think Searcy could command 8Mill per year, or is that a misread on your meaning?

I thought he'd be much cheaper... like perhaps $4-5 Mill per year...?

Probably $6m for Searcy. But if McCourty gets tagged or gets $8m+, I think Searcy benefits. Ward got $5.5m last, and Searcy is better.

so got a question Supe since your way more qualified with cap related issues then me. With our cap space could we get Rahim Moore, Terance Knighton/Dan Williams (whoever we could get cheaper), and Justin Houston and still have a decent amount for the 2012 class? Also I would add a cheap 1 year prove it deal for Tyvon Branch

Ps not trying to hijack the thread but seen superman talking potential contracts for players

so got a question Supe since your way more qualified with cap related issues then me. With our cap space could we get Rahim Moore, Terance Knighton/Dan Williams (whoever we could get cheaper), and Justin Houston and still have a decent amount for the 2012 class? Also I would add a cheap 1 year prove it deal for Tyvon Branch

Ps not trying to hijack the thread but seen superman talking potential contracts for players

Yup.

Moore at $5-6m, Williams or Knighton at $6-7m, Houston at $15m. That's less than $30m on average, but it will cost you some of our own FAs this year and next.

Yup.

Moore at $5-6m, Williams or Knighton at $6-7m, Houston at $15m. That's less than $30m on average, but it will cost you some of our own FAs this year and next.

I just feel that would fill alot of holes and could really upgrade the D. Would it be smart in your opinion?

Also who could we possibly lose like you said?

Probably $6m for Searcy. But if McCourty gets tagged or gets $8m+, I think Searcy benefits. Ward got $5.5m last, and Searcy is better.

McCourtneys # is 9.6 mill and I don't think tree's any chance they let him walk. Their window is as long as age doesn't catch up with Brady , so they probably feel they have 1 -2 years of Tom Brady type QB play. So by hook or crook they keep the safety. Even if it means structuring Revis in a way they get hit down the road .

I just feel that would fill alot of holes and could really upgrade the D. Would it be smart in your opinion?

Also who could we possibly lose like you said?

I don't think it's smart. It's too much money concentrated on three guys. And arguably the weakest spot on the defense, ILB, is still weak in coverage.

Speaking of which, you'd probably lose Freeman, who is better in coverage than Jackson. Reitz, probably. Adams and Brown walk, but you're signing two safeties. Butler, probably. Next year, you probably have to choose between Fleener and Allen.

JMO

McCourtneys # is 9.6 mill and I don't think tree's any chance they let him walk. Their window is as long as age doesn't catch up with Brady , so they probably feel they have 1 -2 years of Tom Brady type QB play. So by hook or crook they keep the safety. Even if it means structuring Revis in a way they get hit down the road .

We'll know more tomorrow. But if they don't tag him, look out.

I don't think it's smart. It's too much money concentrated on three guys. And arguably the weakest spot on the defense, ILB, is still weak in coverage.

Speaking of which, you'd probably lose Freeman, who is better in coverage than Jackson. Reitz, probably. Adams and Brown walk, but you're signing two safeties. Butler, probably. Next year, you probably have to choose between Fleener and Allen.

JMO

well if we did sign them I would like to get a ILB in the 1st to help there and possibly OT in the 2nd I'd prolly be ok with losing most of them cause they could be replaced but honestly would wanna keep both Fleener and Allen tho