Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Offseason

OLB Paul Kruger- Plain and simple this guy messed us up in the playoffs this year. While alot of people consider this guy to automatically resign with the Ravens, keep in mind these things. He and Chuck Pagano have a relationship. The Colts have the 3rd most cap room in the league going into free agency. Hes only 27 years old and at 6'4 270, that's just the size that Pagano's looking for.

SS Jairus Byrd- The Tom Zbikowski experiment didn't work out the way we had planned. While he was better, Joe Lefeged didn't impress me that much either. Byrd's asking price is going to be high as he will have numerous teams calling his name. In Buffalo they run a 4-3 defense, however I think Byrd will have no problem transitioning into a 3-4 defense. The one thing I'm scared of though is him going to Philadelphia for a reunion With Chip Kelly. 

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie- Speaking of Philadelphia, I think getting DRC would be a good deal for both. His time in Philadelphia didn't exactly go as planned, and after last years collapse, he wants a fresh start. Why not let it be with us. Alot of people forget that when he was in Arizona he was a pro bowler and at only 27 years old hasn't even entered his prime yet. My only concern with him would be his deep cover skills, but besides that, hes one of the more underrated free agents at his position. 

DE Michael Johnson- The one word that comes to mind when I think of Michael Johnson is BIG. At 6'7 hes surprisingly quick for his height. In his first year starting he turned alot of heads amassing 11 sacks. While a good portion of those are because of Geno Atkins and the secondary, Its still a respectable number. At only 25 years old, the sky's the limit. Hes a very underrated prospect in free agency being overlooked by guys like Atkins and the rookie Burfict.  

OT Sam Baker- While I would love to say Clady here, I know hes going to resign or is out of our price range. But we could get a very solid right tackle right here in Sam Baker. Hes been protecting Matt Ryan for the last four years and I haven't seen any problems there. He only 27 years old and in my decision could do us alot of good.

OG Andy Levitre- While this is a long-shot to some, I believe we can get it done. The bills haven't been to the playoffs in I don't know how long and I don't care who you are, after a while you get sick of losing. With the frustrations of Bills and our cap room, anything can happen.

RB Chris Ivory- Vick Ballard went from nobody to a fan favorite last year. While he did a great job, we had no consistent backup. That's where Chris Ivory comes in. Year after year I see New Orleans get these explosive running backs but don't use them to run the ball. So that's why I say we take a chance in a very explosive Chris Ivory and see what he can do.     

Re signings

Pat McAfee- One of the best in the league

Darius Butler- He really stepped up last year

Deji Karim- I like him as a kick returner

Winston Justice- Hes a solid backup

Draft

RD 1 DJ Fluker- Never hurts to have depth on the o-line and he could eventually be our right tackle

RD 2 Justin Hunter- He could be our future #1 receiver

RD 3 Eddie Lacy- Another explosive play maker whether it be at receiver or running back

RD 4 Tyrann Mathieu- A bit undersized and some character issues, but I'm thinking Janoris Jenkins

RD 6 Akeem Spence- Defensive tackle that again just gives us more depth

You have the wrong Buffalo guy as a "long shot". Feeling in Buffalo is that Levitre wants to test the open market. Byrd on the other hand is a top 3 safety and there is no way Buffalo let's him walk when the frfanchise price is a hair over 6 million .

I would add Moala and Rietz to your free agent resigning list. Justice is OK but I think he will test the market unless the Cokts offer starting money , which I doubt they will do. 

If we go OL in 1st then Jones>Fluker. no way Fluker gets picked in the first...hes mid second talent wise...more of a run blocker than pass. Id like to see CB or S get addressed in first and OLB or OL in 3rd. We do not need to draft a RB if we sign on in FA plus i believe Lacy is higher than a third round.

free agents are pretty good....good job there. 

So we have 4 starting OTs?

I don't see the sense in signing Baker, resigning Justice, and drafting Fluker (especially round 1, he can't pass block).

Change the Fluker pick. Change Baker to Vollmer.

Hunter doesn't last to the 2nd, nor Lacy to the third (and we don't need him, anyway).

And Mathieu and Jenkins are completely different. Talent-wise, Jenkins was the best CB in the draft (IMO), and Mathieu is a mid round talent at best minus the issues.

@Nobody

The free agency pick up are more of pipe dreams. Obviously it's unlikely that we get every suggestion, so I offered multiple suggestions. If we grab a good tackle out of FA, then we don't draft, and vice versa. Lacy is obviously a long shot, but a lot of the things I've seen list Hunter as the seventh best WR and the ~50th best player overall, so it's not super unlikely we see him drop. Besides we don't have a super impressive running core. Ballard turned some heads, but I still don't see him as an every down back. That's why I like Chris Ivory. 

And yes, Mathieu isn't the talent Jenkins is. But he's still coming in with the biggest knock being character issues. If I thought he was a first rounder like Jenkins, I would've had him as the first  round pick. A fourth isn't being unreasonable. We need help in our secondary and a low draft pick is worth it for his possible upside. 

Assuming that the Colts address the #2 CB as well as the O-Line during FA, here is my 2013 mock draft:

1st-Datone Jones, DE

3rd-Brandon Jenkins, OLB

4th-Shawn Williams, SS

5th(via trade)-Michael Buchanan, DE

6th-Ray Graham, RB

7th-Terry Hawthorne, CB

Thoughts?