Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jake Ballard cut

Nobody

Wow. Jake Ballard had a great year with the Giants, he was a SB champion, on top of the world. He was cut today after failing a physical. If you didn't know, he was injured during the SB. He has to be pretty bad, considering he had 600 some yards. I feel bad for the kid, it shows how precarious an NFL career is.

I thought the Giants didn't resign him. Either way, too bad... his career is essentially over. He'll never see the field with Gronk and Hernandez in front of him.

I'll give the Pats this, they have the best TE unit...ever.

The Pats probably don't even plan to use him. With how loaded they are at TE and WR, the only reason they grabbed him was to make life rough for the Giants. Mission accomplished, I suppose. Coughlin was visibly upset.

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Coughlin's like Belichick though... he's kind of always visibly upset. ;)

It's obvious Ballard is not going to play in 2012, so the Patriots did this for 2013. I don't think there was any weird subterfuge or revenge plot going on here. They're obviously going to run a LOT of 2-TE sets again this year, and probably for the forseeable future. So they could carry as many as four on their roster.

They had the roster space, and apparently the Giants did not. NY took a risk and it burned them. I think it's really that simple.

Ballard is indeed out for 2012..... The Giants were hoping to sneak him through waivers and then put Ballard on the Physically Unable to Perform list (PUP) and then have him healthy for next year.

Now.... the Pats will have him....

Ballard will be fine. These roster maneuvers can get dicey sometimes....

I also think the Patriots will use Hernandez a lot more in the slot this season and into the future. He's basically a bigger and slightly more athletic version of Wes Welker. He may not be quite as quick but he's stronger, and if the Pats let Welker walk after this season then Hernandez is one of the guys who'll fill that void.