Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Freeney & Robert Mathis move to OLB

TKnight24

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both will still play plenty of end and rush the passer from a three-point stance. I don't look at it as them playing a new position. I look at it as them doing more on defense than they have before, but I expect them to still do a lot of what they've always done.

to me this makes freeney and mathis more dangerous because now when coaches are scheming against them, they cant say alright freeney is gonna line up here so this is where we are gonna focus our protection. they cant do that now because freeney and mathis are gonna come from all over the place and thats gonna cause a lot of trouble for the opposition

to me this makes freeney and mathis more dangerous because now when coaches are scheming against them, they cant say alright freeney is gonna line up here so this is where we are gonna focus our protection. they cant do that now because freeney and mathis are gonna come from all over the place and thats gonna cause a lot of trouble for the opposition

haha you got that from the Freeney Interview. But you do have to Agree, you can't Double them anymore like you used to. It's gonna be Hectic for opposing QB's

Imagine that, winning a game with scheme and play calling instead of just lining up and doing what we do.

I hope Freeney is used in a Terell Suggs role. T sizzle is listed as an "OLB" but really he plays with his hand in the dirt majority of snaps and is realy a defensive end. Hopefully we can do the same with Freeney.

Yeah, he mostly is. But he also does Coverage too. With Freeney's Speed, he'll be a better Coverage than T-Suggs. Once he gets the Basics down & whatnot

There are pros and cons to this scheme when it pertains to Freeney and Mathis. A lot of the positives have already been discussed in this thread. The only negatives that I can think of is that both of our best pass rushers will essentially be playiing a somewhat new position in a new scheme, and that at times they will be asked to drop into coverage.

I think that the positives far outweigh the negatives. I expect the Colts to have a good pass rush this year. Asking Freeney or Mathis, who are both very atheletic to drop into the flat for coverage at times isn't as bad as we make it out to be. They may even surprise us. We're not asking them to be shut down corners, or cover the opposing teams players one-on-one. We're simply asking them to drop into zone coverage.

I mean, anything is possible. Maybe if they don't like him being OLB by the End of Pre-Season...maybe they move him to DE again. Who knows

Crashing off the corners he should be fine. Trying to cover anyone is asking for a loaf of toast. Maybe some short drop zones, but man to man. Toast City.

Crashing off the corners he should be fine. Trying to cover anyone is asking for a loaf of toast. Maybe some short drop zones, but man to man. Toast City.

How is it Toast City? Man to Man won't be used much with them as Flash777 Stated above. Pagano knows they're getting up there in Age. I don't see him putting more Duties on them

I don't see how there was any confusion.

Trouble for the Colts.

Which is why I don't understand why anyone thinks Freeney is going to be used in coverage to any significant degree. He'll drop into a short zone or go to the flat every once in a while, but people are acting like he's going to go man to man with Rob Gronkowski. He's not. If he does, Manusky and Pagano deserve to be caned.

Freeney def cannot cover

If Ray Lewis can Cover, Freeney is 3x his Speed so why can't he Cover? It may take him awhile, but it could be done. Y'all act like Freeney is some Scrub. Ok he played DE his WHOLE NFL Career. You can Transition someone if you honestly believe they can perform for you. It's not like the move to OLB is PERMENANT. If they don't see him doing well in Pre-Season they may move him back to DE

I'm seriously tired of people doubting the Colts this year. People act like things can't change. Ok, we went 2-14 last season...so what? We made HUGE moves in both the Draft & Free Agency. No ones saying we're gonna be Super Bowl Champions, but at least give us some Credit. We will NOT be 2-14 again this Season. People seem to forget that it was the Boys in Blue with a Helmet stamped with a Horseshoe who DOMINATED the League for the past 10 years. We have been one of the top teams in the past 10 years. We have ONE bad year, & all of a sudden we're labeled the "Worst Team"?? Seriously?

If Ray Lewis can Cover, Freeney is 3x his Speed so why can't he Cover? It may take him awhile, but it could be done. Y'all act like Freeney is some Scrub. Ok he played DE his WHOLE NFL Career. You can Transition someone if you honestly believe they can perform for you. It's not like the move to OLB is PERMENANT. If they don't see him doing well in Pre-Season they may move him back to DE

1) They aren't moving him from DE to OLB. They're adding to his responsibilities and allowing him to play a hybrid role and do a few more things in the defense. If he struggles at those added responsibilities, they'll probably pull back a bit, but they won't have to move him back to DE. He's still a DE.

2) Being fast doesn't equal being able to cover.

3) Freeney isn't three times faster than Ray Lewis.

1) They aren't moving him from DE to OLB. They're adding to his responsibilities and allowing him to play a hybrid role and do a few more things in the defense. If he struggles at those added responsibilities, they'll probably pull back a bit, but they won't have to move him back to DE. He's still a DE.

2) Being fast doesn't equal being able to cover.

3) Freeney isn't three times faster than Ray Lewis.

Last I heard, Freeney ran a 4.4. Know I may be exaggerating but it's Real. Lewis isnt Faster than Freeney. And he is an OLB. If you check the Roster on here, he's listed as OLB. Him & Mathis

I'm seriously tired of people doubting the Colts this year. People act like things can't change. Ok, we went 2-14 last season...so what? We made HUGE moves in both the Draft & Free Agency. No ones saying we're gonna be Super Bowl Champions, but at least give us some Credit. We will NOT be 2-14 again this Season. People seem to forget that it was the Boys in Blue with a Helmet stamped with a Horseshoe who DOMINATED the League for the past 10 years. We have been one of the top teams in the past 10 years. We have ONE bad year, & all of a sudden we're labeled the "Worst Team"?? Seriously?

There is a major difference, 18 was under center the past 10 years .. Im hopeful but not optimistic for this season

There is a major difference, 18 was under center the past 10 years .. Im hopeful but not optimistic for this season

Yes, that's True. But you gotta realize that people are expecting too much from Luck. Peyton went 3-13 his Rookie Season. So if Luck does better, wouldn't that be a Positive? IT shows his Leadership

Last I heard, Freeney ran a 4.4. Know I may be exaggerating but it's Real. Lewis isnt Faster than Freeney. And he is an OLB. If you check the Roster on here, he's listed as OLB. Him & Mathis

Freeney ran a 4.48 ten years ago. He's probably not running a 4.48 these days. Even if he is, how do you determine that that's three times faster than Ray Lewis? Wouldn't that mean Ray's time is 13.44? Is Ray doing a forty yard cartwheel? I'm not saying Ray is faster, and he probably isn't, but Freeney isn't significantly faster than Ray Lewis. Certainly not three times faster.

On top of that, forty yard dash time isn't indicative of how fast a player plays, especially on defense, where much of the game is reactionary. Ray Lewis is quicker at linebacker than most everyone in the league, particularly in the box, because he has a dynamic instinctual feel for the game and reads cues better than anyone. If you took a faster Freeney and put him at Ray's spot, he'd look slow by comparison.

Also, regardless what position he's officially listed at, his duties will include some of both. And if Terrell Suggs is any indication (and Pagano says he is), Freeney will spend more time as a three-point rusher than he will in a two-point stance. Just like Suggs did, despite the fact he's listed as an OLB.

Lastly, if speed = good coverage, you could simply grab the fastest players every year and stick them at corner. But it doesn't work that way. Coverage is a lot more than speed. I'm assuming Dwight can't cover because he never has. If he can, then he's a monster and he's going to wreak havoc on the league, so I hope he can cover. It would be very much like Adalius Thomas. But there's no indication that he can, and certainly no indication that the staff intends to use him in coverage to any significant degree.

thats something that bugs me. media keeps saying how peyton had more weapons his rookie year then andrew will have and he went 3-13 so dont expect any better well rather thats true or not is a debate for another thread. what i want to know is who will have the better defense. that defense was always the achillles heel for peyton, but this wont be the same defense that held peyton back and i think thats whats gonna make the difference.

Too old to change put him on a TE and see?

you think james harrison covers? lamarr woody? terrell suggs? clay mathews? demarcus ware? no their all coming after the qb and if they do cover its like 5% of the time.

Yea the ravens use Terrell Suggs almost exclusively as a rusher and yes Houston did the same thing with Mario. However, we don't have just one question mark in coverage, we have two. I'm equally as worried about Mathis as I am Freeney. I look at our scheme and I wonder: If Freeney is extremely liable in coverage we will need to put his hand in the dirt and rush him almost every play. But if Mathis is the exact same type of player as Freeney, we need to rush him every play as well. Then aren't we essentially running a 5-2 every play. Yea we're gonna get to the QB often but we're going to be awful in coverage and give up some really big run plays as well.

thats something that bugs me. media keeps saying how peyton had more weapons his rookie year then andrew will have and he went 3-13 so dont expect any better well rather thats true or not is a debate for another thread. what i want to know is who will have the better defense. that defense was always the achillles heel for peyton, but this wont be the same defense that held peyton back and i think thats whats gonna make the difference.

Exactly, i think this Defense will be better than the Defense in PEyton's Rookie Year. Andrew Luck will have a Defense that can get him the Ball