Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Gets Credit For Womack Playing as a Top Corner?

AKB

Who gets credit?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. give credit to...

• Ballard
    • Bradley
    • Womack's Mom

Considerable increase in rating, while also being thrust into a starting role. Apologies may also be in due for Jaylon Jones. But I'm talking about Womack in particular here. With his increase in play quality between years 1-2 vs. 3 with us, he is playing better. If Bradley's scheme is so bad, is he playing better because his mom packed him an extra milk carton? or because Ballard is great? Please discuss below; responses required asap. 

2022 rating - 69.7

2023 rating - 66.5

2024 rating - 87.0

Just now, Solid84 said:

Well, good on Ballard for bringing him in, but it looks like it might be a mindset thing from Womack - "Not getting cut again". If he can keep it up we definitely got a gem.

i'm sure he was motivated when he came into the league, I wonder if he's been interviewed yet., I haven't had the time to watch them all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm betting his motivation was being cut from the 49'ers.  He swore it would never happen again.

im gonna go try and find the interview

It was a move like Darius Butler being told by Grigson after he was let go by the Patriots and then the Panthers, that this was probably his last stop in the merry go round. Just that Ballard didn't need to tell Womack, Womack was man enough to realize it himself.

Kenny Moore came from the Patriots too, after he was cut and claimed off waivers as an undrafted free agent out of Valdosta State. He didn't waste his second chance at all. One man's trash is another man's treasure sometimes. It is just how it goes in the NFL. The sense of urgency just goes up considerably with the player once insecurity is thrust upon him.

So, no, sorry, Ballard and Bradley don't get credit for how well he has played, that is why I voted Womack's Mom. :)  However, Ballard gets credit for making a very good waiver pickup, like he did with Kenny Moore. Ballard should thus not draft defensive backs anymore, should just play waivers, LOL :) 

I’ve said it in other threads and I will repeat it here:

The 49ers are my favorite NFC team and I watch around 80% of their games as well. The reason Womack fell on hard times and out of favor out there was because they moved him inside. They quit playing him to his strengths and it did him no favors. Steve Wilks took over the DC job when Ryans departed for the Texans job and that * wasn’t smart enough to get in out of the rain. He had no positive impact for anyone in that defense, and he just kept forcing Womack into the nickel and dime spot which just didn’t work with Womack’s skillset. Had Ryans not left for the Texans job prior to last season, many in the 49ers airspace feel like Womack would have moved back outside and played to his strengths. 

If Ryans didn’t have Stingley and a newly picked 2nd round guy in Lassiter they likely would have put a claim in on Womack as well. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

So, no, sorry, Ballard and Bradley don't get credit for how well he has played, that is why I voted Womack's Mom. :)  However, Ballard gets credit for making a very good waiver pickup, like he did with Kenny Moore. Ballard should thus not draft defensive backs anymore, should just play waivers, LOL :) 

Yeah, I'm in no hurry to give Ballard a ton of credit for a good waiver pickup, as if it's reasonable to expect to find starting caliber players through waivers. That's not a good strategy. On the other hand, I think the concern about the secondary was overblown throughout the offseason, so I wasn't rushing to blame him for the impending demise of the team to begin with.

Ballard knew he was talented along with the Chiefs and another team.  So kudos for putting in the claim but it’s Gus who is letting him play to his strength which is press coverage.  Womack has said he prefers press and Gus is seeing he is good at it and the same can be said for Jones.  We now have two outside corners who are better at press coverage.  I don’t know if many have noticed but we are playing more press than when we started the season.  That’s no accident.  Gus is adjusting to his personnel.