Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the Defense Pathetically Bad?

Smonroe

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think idea that this defense is also cheaper to build is a myth. Sure, teams have shown that you can build the secondary with 3rd rounders and even later. However, if you look at the Bucs when they were dominant. Saap, Booger, Rice and Brooks were all 1st rounder. I have always believed that running this defense, at an elite level, requires a lot of talent especially along the D line. Just my take

I don't think the argument was ever that the defense is cheaper to build. The argument was that the secondary requires less investment, not the entire defense. Like you said, the DL is always going to be emphasized.

Specific to the secondary, I'm in the minority on this, but I think you only get so much benefit from having great corners. Everyone plays a ton of zone defense, and good QBs/OCs expose man coverage with formations and motion. So how much is a lock down corner bringing to the table? That doesn't mean you just throw a bunch of JAGs out there in the secondary, but I agree with the idea that the corner position is a lower priority than DL. 

That said, having players in the secondary who are good at making plays on the ball is still important. Jaylon Jones was in pretty good position vs Nico Collins on that game-clinching play, but a more talented corner might have been able to get a stop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

spacer.png

How many tackles did our LBs have yesterday?

HOW MANY DID THEY HAVE?!

I'm pretty sure Speed missed more tackles than he made. The secondary has been taking most of the heat around here and they do mostly suck, but for my money EJ is the worst player on the field.

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

spacer.png

How many tackles did our LBs have yesterday?

HOW MANY DID THEY HAVE?!

Franklin had 8 tackles and 6 assists. 1 missed tackle.

Speed had 7 tackles and 0 assists. 6 missed tackles.

Carlies had 2 tackles and 1 assist. 0 missed tackles.

• Thanks 1