Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bears post game thread

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Is singling out the TEs the real issue? So far AR hasn't tried to utilize his TEs.  Like any fan I want a dominant TE but it's up to the QB to make that happen 

Well, have they been able to be utilized?  Meaning, have they been open, are they being prioritized in the game plan?  

sometimes it’s more than just “the qb not seeing them”.  That’s why I said idk what’s going on. Could be Shane has AR looking downfield, or by the time AR goes through his reads the tight ends aren’t open, or they’re not getting open.  

if I had to give you an answer, I’d say it’s more on the playcalling/coaching.  I’ve mentioned before that it seems Shane has AR doing something different than what he was doing last year.  Seems AR is slinging it and throwing deep more from the pocket than last year.  Even the passes the TEs have caught this year seem to be deeper shots.  

15 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Well, have they been able to be utilized?  Meaning, have they been open, are they being prioritized in the game plan?  

sometimes it’s more than just “the qb not seeing them”.  That’s why I said idk what’s going on. Could be Shane has AR looking downfield, or by the time AR goes through his reads the tight ends aren’t open, or they’re not getting open.  

if I had to give you an answer, I’d say it’s more on the playcalling/coaching.  I’ve mentioned before that it seems Shane has AR doing something different than what he was doing last year.  Seems AR is slinging it and throwing deep more from the pocket than last year.  Even the passes the TEs have caught this year seem to be deeper shots.  

I think Shane is using the TE position more for blocking than receiving.  The TEs do a very good job at blocking.  IMO once the game slows down for AR the TEs will pick up the numbers. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think Shane is using the TE position more for blocking than receiving.  The TEs do a very good job at blocking.  IMO once the game slows down for AR the TEs will pick up the numbers. 

Agreed, and that’s where I disagree with Shane.  Best thing for rookie QBs (which by nfl games AR still is) are safety blankets.  Lamar had Andrews, Allen had Diggs, Mahomes had Kelce and Hill, Purdy had everybody, etc.  who’s AR’s?  Should be Pittman but idk what’s going on with him.  If anything, have our tight ends catch, we have the best OL.

3 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Agreed, and that’s where I disagree with Shane.  Best thing for rookie QBs (which by nfl games AR still is) are safety blankets.  Lamar had Andrews, Allen had Diggs, Mahomes had Kelce and Hill, Purdy had everybody, etc.  who’s AR’s?  Should be Pittman but idk what’s going on with him.  If anything, have our tight ends catch, we have the best OL.

We also have to keep in mind that Shane is only a 2nd year head coach.  The step from OC to HC is very rarely successful its first time. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We also have to keep in mind that Shane is only a 2nd year head coach.  The step from OC to HC is very rarely successful its first time. 

Agree with that also.  I said it in another thread but I feel that Shane has been able to hide behind the AR criticism on this board when I think Shane is playing a part in what’s going on with the offense also.  His regression in playcalling hasn’t been talked about enough on the forum.