Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Audio Network to Debut: “The Move”

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

https://www.colts.com/news/baltimore-to-indianapolis-the-move-podcast-jim-irsay-interview-audio-network

4 part podcast series on the move from Baltimore to Indy. Should be very interesting!

Those of us that were Colts fans back then were surprised...well, at the move in the night. Not necessarily the move from Baltimore.  Alot of history between Irsay and Baltimore prefaced that move.

• Like 6

BOB Irsay would go into the stands at Memorial Stadium, and drink with the fans, promising that he would sign a deal with Mayor Schaeffer to stay in Baltimore in exchange for a new stadium. Then the next day, sobered, deny it to the News Crews.  

The main problem in Baltimore was the Blue Laws. No sports could start before 2pm (so tailgating fans wouldn’t take the Church Parking Spots).  The NFL had TV games at 1pm and 4pm, plus Baltimore Home Games at 2pm. That needed resolved and wasn’t until after the Colts left.

I get it- Memorial Stadium was old, small, needed upgrades. BOB Irsay took over a team that had won Super Bowl V.  Then he traded away the older stars, refused to pay the free agents, fired Coach after coach, and the franchise fell to the bottom of the NFL East while threatening to move every week. He wore out his welcome in Baltimore.  The Hoosier Dome was new, and empty. The rational thing to do was to move, and start over. Bringing the Colts to Indy fired up sports in Indy, led to rebuilding downtown Indy (stadiums, arenas, museums, zoos, bars, restaurants, etc…JOBS!!!!.) Eventually, JIMMY Irsay became one of the NFL’s Better owners.  But BOB Irsay was a drunken slob who ruined a proud Franchise, and almost ruined sports in Baltimore.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jimmy g said:

BOB Irsay would go into the stands at Memorial Stadium, and drink with the fans, promising that he would sign a deal with Mayor Schaeffer to stay in Baltimore in exchange for a new stadium. Then the next day, sobered, deny it to the News Crews.  

The main problem in Baltimore was the Blue Laws. No sports could start before 2pm (so tailgating fans wouldn’t take the Church Parking Spots).  The NFL had TV games at 1pm and 4pm, plus Baltimore Home Games at 2pm. That needed resolved and wasn’t until after the Colts left.

I get it- Memorial Stadium was old, small, needed upgrades. BOB Irsay took over a team that had won Super Bowl V.  Then he traded away the older stars, refused to pay the free agents, fired Coach after coach, and the franchise fell to the bottom of the NFL East while threatening to move every week. He wore out his welcome in Baltimore.  The Hoosier Dome was new, and empty. The rational thing to do was to move, and start over. Bringing the Colts to Indy fired up sports in Indy, led to rebuilding downtown Indy (stadiums, arenas, museums, zoos, bars, restaurants, etc…JOBS!!!!.) Eventually, JIMMY Irsay became one of the NFL’s Better owners.  But BOB Irsay was a drunken slob who ruined a proud Franchise, and almost ruined sports in Baltimore.

And yet, it all worked out for both cities. Indy got its football team and eventually gained relevance thanks to the ‘95 team and then of course Manning and the ‘06 championship. 

Baltimore meanwhile has enjoyed one of the most successful franchises in the business in the Ravens with winning seasons and already two rings. I’m sure there are many who have bitter feelings about the Colts, but it could be much worse… like Cleveland and St. Louis watching their teams move away and win the rings the never could. 

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

And yet, it all worked out for both cities. Indy got its football team and eventually gained relevance thanks to the ‘95 team and then of course Manning and the ‘06 championship. 

Baltimore meanwhile has enjoyed one of the most successful franchises in the business in the Ravens with winning seasons and already two rings. I’m sure there are many who have bitter feelings about the Colts, but it could be much worse… like Cleveland and St. Louis watching their teams move away and win the rings the never could. 

Didn't St louis win a superbowl with the "greatest show on turf"?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Ironicly, Baltimore now has both its Major Sports teams  that were both once named the Browns. St Louis Browns became the modern Orioles. (The original Orioles are now the NY Yankees.)  Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I understand there are a lot of people that don’t know the story. I for one am burnt out on it. I do find it funny they “stole” the Ravens from Cleveland but whine about the Colts leaving. Sports bring out the best homers and team spirit. 

I do feel like there is a little bit more in depthness on this series and there are interviews with people who were a part of the move. It’s not just a general overview. There are less and less people every year that were a part of it so getting the interviews in while their voices can still be heard is a big deal imho.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 8:45 PM, jimmy g said:

Ironicly, Baltimore now has both its Major Sports teams  that were both once named the Browns. St Louis Browns became the modern Orioles. (The original Orioles are now the NY Yankees.)  Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens.

That truly is ironic!