Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Larry Allen passed away at 52

Larry Allen, Hall of Fame OG/OT, passed today. He is arguably the greatest Offensive Linemen of all-time. He could play right or left Guard or Tackle. He won a SB with the Cowboys in 1995. He is also known for having the NFL bench press record, when he benched 700 pounds down to chest and up once. I am shocked this hasn't been bigger news around the league. 

RIP big fella.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Larry Allen, Hall of Fame OG/OT, passed today. He is arguably the greatest Offensive Linemen of all-time. He could play right or left Guard or Tackle. He won a SB with the Cowboys in 1995. He is also known for having the NFL bench press record, when he benched 700 pounds down to chest and up once. I am shocked this hasn't been bigger news around the league. 

RIP big fella.

Wow. He died so young. :(

Rest in peace.

The Big Fella's up front never get credit news world GIFbecause they aren't sexy. Give me an O.Line (see below) and my QB won't get touched and my RB will have holes a dump truck that could drive through:

LT - Anthony Munoz 6'6 290 - Hands down, the best LT of all-time.

LG - Quenton Nelson 6'5 330 - Beef! 3-time 1st team All-Pro.

C - Mike Webster 6'1 260 - I like a lighter Center, they are quicker is why. Webster is regarded by many as the best Center ever top play as well. He was on all 4 of the Steelers SB Championships team during the 70's. He helped Bradshaw out reading blitzes at the line numerous of times.

RG - Larry Allen 6'3 340 - Beef! 7-time 1st team All-Pro.

RT - Joe Jacoby 6'6 305 - Washington moved him to RT in the early 90's. He played RT on the Washington's 1991 SB Championship team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/larry-allen-cowboys-legend-and-pro-football-hall-of-famer-dies-at-52-155925223.html

Allen was a seven-time first-team All-Pro and part of the Cowboys' Super Bowl XXX winning team.

Wow! As a former Cowboys fan how fun it was to watch him dominate for so many years. Emmitt ran through 6' ft wide holes time after time.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Wow! As a former Cowboys fan how fun it was to watch him dominate for so many years. Emmitt ran through 6' ft wide holes time after time.

I have watched a lot of football in my day, eye test wise since the Steelers were winning SB's back in the 70's. I remember watching the Steelers win the SB in 1978 and 1979. I watched both SB's. I watched the 49ers throughout the 80's and 90's, Watched the 1985 Bears, watched all the Colts great teams during the Peyton era = 2006, and watched the whole Patriots dynasty. 

The most complete team I have ever seen are the 1995 Dallas Cowboys. They had no weaknesses at all. They had arguably the best Offensive Line of all-time as a unit, they arguably had the greatest RB of all-time (Emmitt), a top 15 QB of all-time (Troy), a top 10 WR of all-time (Irvin), the fastest Linebackers, Charles Haley as the edge, and Deion Sanders at CB that could shut half the field down. Their FG Kicker was even money. How that team lost a game is mindboggling but they did go 12-4 and 15-4 overall. They won all 3 of their playoff games by double digits including the SB. 

Keep in mind, going by today's standards, that Cowboys O.Line is still bigger than the average O.Line today. Nobody today is faster than Deion either. They would beat the Chiefs if they played them, I have no doubt about it. 

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Big Fella's up front never get credit news world GIFbecause they aren't sexy. Give me an O.Line (see below) and my QB won't get touched and my RB will have holes a dump truck that could drive through:

LT - Anthony Munoz 6'6 290 - Hands down, the best LT of all-time.

LG - Quenton Nelson 6'5 330 - Beef! 3-time 1st team All-Pro.

C - Mike Webster 6'1 260 - I like a lighter Center, they are quicker is why. Webster is regarded by many as the best Center ever top play as well. He was on all 4 of the Steelers SB Championships team during the 70's. He helped Bradshaw out reading blitzes at the line numerous of times.

RG - Larry Allen 6'3 340 - Beef! 7-time 1st team All-Pro.

RT - Joe Jacoby 6'6 305 - Washington moved him to RT in the early 90's. He played RT on the Washington's 1991 SB Championship team.

Jim Otto possibly the best. Never missed a game.

• Like 1

It appears he had a heart attack while on a family vacation in Mexico.   

A very big man, a very shy man.  I read his oldest daughter helped him write his Hall of Fame speech.   As others have mentioned, for some strange reason, Allen’s death hasn’t received the attention he richly deserved.   

Life is often not fair.   This is one of those times.   

RIP

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It appears he had a heart attack while on a family vacation in Mexico.   

A very big man, a very shy man.  I read his oldest daughter helped him write his Hall of Fame speech.   As others have mentioned, for some strange reason, Allen’s death hasn’t received the attention he richly deserved.   

Life is often not fair.   This is one of those times.   

RIP

Yeah, just a super guy and a great player.