Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positional Versatility and Atypical Measurables - 2024 Draftees & UDFA's

Did you all take notice to all the different Swiss-army knife type of guys they drafted and/or signed this year? I was writing in the RB's thread and thought this could use its own thread to discuss.

Is this a radical change in philosophy by Ballard and Dodds?

Is this Shane Steichen's imprinting himself on the roster? Starting with Downs last year and Gould this year as they are not a prototypical CB type of WR

Is this simply a one-off because all 25 starters are under contract from last year?

Is this pure dumb luck to pick up these types of players?

Drafted

Bortolini - Started and played at all but LT in his college career

Gonclaves - Started at both LT and RT in his career

Simpson - Started at both CB and FS at Auburn and played well at both

Abraham - Started at FS in college and then CB while at Marshall and played well at both - reverse of Simpson (and definitely not a prototypical CB defensive back in terms of measurables but is essentially the same build as Moore without the super long arms)

Carlies - Started at CB, then hybrid SS/LB and now LB for us - offers 3rd down coverage abilities

UDFA

Tucker - Started and played both RT/RG at Marshall

Slovis - Started in three different offensive systems in college at USC/Pitt/BYU - that does help his cause IMHO - Plus at USC played with NFL caliber talent around him and was amazing

Pennix - Started at RB, played HB/FB and TE lining up all over the field (for my fellow ND fans just think how they utilized Tommy Tremble - who is woefully underused in Carolina)

Bean - Started at QB and did well at KU last year but now listed as a combo QB/WR because of his running abilities - interesting though as a third QB while rostered as a WR - doubt it happens but does expand the trick play ability as well as having a rostered QB without taking up the 3rd spot on the 53???? Again, one can dream but he'd have to show out to even crack the top 6 WR slots.

White - Started his career in college as a RB and converted to WR - his RAC is superb

Young - Started at S with OSU and then converted to LB at KU - offers 3rd down coverage abilities like Carlies

Thoughts?

Any other outliers I may have missed?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Did you all take notice to all the different Swiss-army knife type of guys they drafted and/or signed this year? I was writing in the RB's thread and thought this could use its own thread to discuss.

Is this Shane Steichen's imprinting himself on the roster? Starting with Downs last year and Gould this year as they are not a prototypical CB type of WR

Is this simply a one-off because all 25 starters are under contract from last year?

Drafted

Abraham - Started at FS in college and then CB while at Marshall and played well at both - reverse of Simpson (and definitely not a prototypical CB defensive back in terms of measurables but is essentially the same build as Moore without the super long arms)

Carlies - Started at CB, then hybrid SS/LB and now LB for us - offers 3rd down coverage abilities

UDFA

Slovis - Started in three different offensive systems in college at USC/Pitt/BYU - that does help his cause IMHO - Plus at USC played with NFL caliber talent around him and was amazing

Pennix - Started at RB, played HB/FB and TE lining up all over the field (for my fellow ND fans just think how they utilized Tommy Tremble - who is woefully underused in Carolina)

Bean - Started at QB and did well at KU last year but now listed as a combo QB/WR because of his running abilities - interesting though as a third QB while rostered as a WR - doubt it happens but does expand the trick play ability as well as having a rostered QB without taking up the 3rd spot on the 53???? Again, one can dream but he'd have to show out to even crack the top 6 WR slots.

White - Started his career in college as a RB and converted to WR - his RAC is superb

Young - Started at S with OSU and then converted to LB at KU - offers 3rd down coverage abilities like Carlies

Thoughts?

To qualify as UDFA signing after going undrafted, these guys can't have a start to NFL career if they don't do more things or play more positions albeit at a lesser level. Same for OL guys who aren't drafted at the top - positional versatility helps to get a roster spot in the OL while they get to have more time for development path in the NFL.

Bradley and Ballard do seem to look out for the guys in Secondary who could play CB and Safety, or someone who could switch to LB. 

Versatility has always been a desired commodity in the NFL, though I agree that the Colts seemed to be more active in that thought process this past draft.  I have always been a big proponent of it and feel that the most overlooked non starter is a good swing tackle.  A player that can come in at both right and left tackle without too big of a drop off...as it helps with roster availability on game day, plus injuries.

The Colts have been trending with the converted Safety to Linebacker for several years now and I am grateful for that.  Pass coverage for Linebackers is a must in today's game.

Nice post!

I like the positional flexibility for our backups, but I’m not a fan of it for our starters. I believe in focusing on and mastering one position and I feel some of the details and nuances are missing from the guys getting moved around to different positions. 

It’s a big win for backups though. Gives them more opporunities to play and makes it easier for the FO to get decent depth. 

Some of it has to do with how long the season is, and it’s probably going to get longer with 18 games in the future.  

We’ll have injuries to major players, every team does.  It’s good to have someone on the roster who can fill in at multiple spots.   Always better than bringing in someone not familiar with the play book.

On another note, the NFL is going to have to expand both the regular roster and game day roster.  The NFLPA will only go along with moving up lower paid PS players for so long.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Drafted

UDFA

Thoughts?

I think 3 could make the roster. Tucker, Young and Bean/Slovis.

The rest will be on the PS. Pennix would be a good RB to have if one of the 4 go down. 

32 minutes ago, Iron Colt said:

I think 3 could make the roster. Tucker, Young and Bean/Slovis.

The rest will be on the PS. Pennix would be a good RB to have if one of the 4 go down. 

Pennix should be a good blocker and a very good receiver since he played a lot of TE and some RB.  From what I read he’s another high character guy who was underutilized at NC ST.

If Shane installs a FB into the O, he could be a real asset.  Otherwise, I’m rooting for him, but I think the odds are against him unless there’s an injury.  

Looks like he’d fit right in on STs!  https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/39200176

• Like 1

I take the saying Ballard type player with a grain of salt. I personally feel he has been very good at listening to his coaches and giving them what they want. We have a different head coach and DC now so I believe the type of player drafted will change. Some things like character evaluation and the like will remain the same. I’ve always appreciated how Ballard will do this for the coaches. Probably one of several reasons why he is still here. 

As for the players drafted, positional flexibility will always have value in this league. Not so much for starters but definitely for players trying to carve themselves out a spot on the roster. If they can play multiple positions and special teams, they already have a leg up over other players battling for a backup spot. Plus, it gives the coaches an extra wrinkle to their playbooks if they choose to employ it on game day. 

22 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Drafted

UDFA

Thoughts?

KC gave Ballard an Education on Defense last season. Fast, versatile, smart.

Ballard has killed us with being so traits over production. I see more production has moved players into our wheelhouse. And Steichen.

In a passing league we are weak and inexperienced playing together as a back seven unit. They won't be rookies come December who knows what our record will be then. lol