Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Spill over from non colts related talk (General sports talk)

On 2/24/2024 at 4:27 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

they’ve beaten everybody in the conference at the top except Boston who is the clear #1. They will make the playoffs, which isn’t the case for the colts, and again they have the most dynamic point guard (who could have been the all star mvp.) The entire concept was ticket sales, and the colts record this year wasn’t part of the conversation. It was if they made a management change that led to three consecutive 4 win season…

And yes Caitlyn Clark will have the same draw in the wnba that she does currently, which is sold out arenas everywhere she goes and people paying nfl ticket prices to see her. It will be a first, considering no one goes to wnba games. She’s going to change the game as we know it. 

I wasn’t aware of the blackout rule change. It doesn’t change my opinion on people not spending disposable income (grocery bills were just reported to be the highest percentage of disposable income in decades) to watch bad games.  If anything it strengthens that argument. Why spend the money when you can watch it at home/turn it off at halftime? 

Do you really expect the Pacers to challenge for the NBA title?   I hope so, but think it is unlikely.   Like other small market NBA teams not in an ideal location, they can make the playoffs, get beat and have a poor draft spot.  

I don't think Clark will make much of a change in the WNBA.   It'll still be a poorly attended league that most do not care much about.  

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Do you really expect the Pacers to challenge for the NBA title?   I hope so, but think it is unlikely.   Like other small market NBA teams not in an ideal location, they can make the playoffs, get beat and have a poor draft spot.  

I don't know about necessarily challenging for it this year. Pascal Siakam was a very big pickup, and he's only played 17 games with them. They were 3-6 in his first 9 games in Indy. They are 6-2 in the last eight. I think a player of his magnitude takes some time to get accustomed to. But I think where they are situated in the standings right now is far from where they should be and are more than capable of being. I think they can easily be a top 3 team in the Eastern Conference, which would certainly give them a good shot at competing for a title. While not a huge basketball fan, I have longed for the Pacers to be back in a title fight. I grew up watching Reggie and have vivid memories of the brawl in Detroit. Which I knew at the time was going to be detrimental to what was the best team in the league at that point, in my opinion. It's been said that they may have some serious players looking to come to Indy to pair with Siakam and Haliburton. They have a pretty young talented roster as it is. 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't think Clark will make much of a change in the WNBA.   It'll still be a poorly attended league that most do not care much about.  

I respectfully disagree. Women's college has been poorly attended, for better or worse for some time. Never has a single player been a draw like she has. Iowa just lost in Bloomington a few days ago, and it was a complete sell-out, 17k, with Vic Oladipo sitting courtside. If she declares (still debatable if she will) and she is Indianapolis, people will pay to watch her play. Maybe not sell-outs, but major increase in attendance. Opposing teams are currently experiencing 150% increase in attendance when she is in town. tv ratings sky high. 1.5 million plus. When they lost to Ohio State in overtime, it peaked at just under 4 million. Last year's national championship game? Up 100 plus % to almost 10 million viewers. 

I think you grossly underestimate the draw. She's the steph curry of women's basketball. 

8 hours ago, Myles said:

I just seen this and normally I would agree with you about the Pacers, but I think they will be a very tough out in these playoffs. This team looks different than the one's that have recently had a decent record, but we knew would be 1 and done. They are #1 in offense is why. They can outscore almost every team in the league most nights. They would have a better record, but Haliburton missed 2 weeks earlier in the season. Boston is the only team in the East that looks dominant, but they tend to choke every year, so I am not even sold on them. I think the Pacers at worse end up with a #6, stay out of that playin and will win a series if not 2 this year. 

Regarding Clark, she is the best College Basketball player I have ever seen with the exception of Cheryl Miller, Reggie's sister. That says a lot because players Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Brittney Griner, and Candice Parker who were no slouch in college.

10 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I respectfully disagree. Women's college has been poorly attended, for better or worse for some time. Never has a single player been a draw like she has. Iowa just lost in Bloomington a few days ago, and it was a complete sell-out, 17k, with Vic Oladipo sitting courtside. If she declares (still debatable if she will) and she is Indianapolis, people will pay to watch her play. Maybe not sell-outs, but major increase in attendance. Opposing teams are currently experiencing 150% increase in attendance when she is in town. tv ratings sky high. 1.5 million plus. When they lost to Ohio State in overtime, it peaked at just under 4 million. Last year's national championship game? Up 100 plus % to almost 10 million viewers. 

I think you grossly underestimate the draw. She's the steph curry of women's basketball. 

I think she is a huge draw now because of the media attention because she is breaking records.  Once in the WNBA, it will be forgotten.   She will help increase attendance and viewership a bit but it'll die off.   The WNBA game is just not good.   I can't watch the NBA either but I root for the Pacers.  

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think she is a huge draw now because of the media attention because she is breaking records.  Once in the WNBA, it will be forgotten.   She will help increase attendance and viewership a bit but it'll die off.   The WNBA game is just not good.   I can't watch the NBA either but I root for the Pacers.  

I don’t see it dying off. Like you said the wnba game is not good. But Caitlin Clark is unbelievable. People will watch her. Her game isn’t going to slow down in the pro’s. You can’t guard 26 feet lethal shooting. She’s going to average 5 or more 3pointers a night at the next level. And her scoring is just one aspect of her game. Like haliburton, she sees it all and can make passes you just don’t see at the women’s game. 

not to mention these young gals have it figured out. The media isn’t creating them, they are using alternative forms of media for the attention they get. The old media is just capitalizing. They have brought a passion to the game, creating rivalries and drama. I’ve never seen it before in this game. Really not even at the men’s level. There is not much passion there anymore like there used to be. It’s too easy to be a crybaby and transfer out. 

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t see it dying off. Like you said the wnba game is not good. But Caitlin Clark is unbelievable. People will watch her. Her game isn’t going to slow down in the pro’s. You can’t guard 26 feet lethal shooting. She’s going to average 5 or more 3pointers a night at the next level. And her scoring is just one aspect of her game. Like haliburton, she sees it all and can make passes you just don’t see at the women’s game. 

not to mention these young gals have it figured out. The media isn’t creating them, they are using alternative forms of media for the attention they get. The old media is just capitalizing. They have brought a passion to the game, creating rivalries and drama. I’ve never seen it before in this game. Really not even at the men’s level. There is not much passion there anymore like there used to be. It’s too easy to be a crybaby and transfer out. 

We will have to agree to disagree here.  i think she could help a little uptick in viewership and then it will die down.   The WNBA has yet to show it can be a well attended league.  The Indiana Fever average 4000 fans a game.   That is similar to roller derby in Fort Wayne.   The Komets get over 7000 per game.  So the Fever (WNBA) is a little over half of minor league hockey.  

33 minutes ago, Myles said:

We will have to agree to disagree here.  i think she could help a little uptick in viewership and then it will die down.   The WNBA has yet to show it can be a well attended league.  The Indiana Fever average 4000 fans a game.   That is similar to roller derby in Fort Wayne.   The Komets get over 7000 per game.  So the Fever (WNBA) is a little over half of minor league hockey.  

time will tell. 

I wouldn’t bet against her. That’s for sure. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 11:04 AM, Myles said:

The WNBA has yet to show it can be a well attended league.  The Indiana Fever average 4000 fans a game

well- we are about to find out the Caitlin Clark effect. Just announced she is declaring. 99.9% chance she is playing in Indianapolis… 

5 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

well- we are about to find out the Caitlin Clark effect. Just announced she is declaring. 99.9% chance she is playing in Indianapolis… 

Indy has the first draft pick?

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If the Fever get Clark, I'll watch women's basketball. She is the 2nd best woman player I have ever seen, only Cheryl was better. 

It's not if. She wouldn't have announced if a silent deal wasn't done, in my opinion. There's little chance she doesn't know exactly what the plan is. This isn't just about basketball, as she will make less than $100k on the court. This is about how the Fever can accommodate her as a superstar, which she is. She will bring viewers in both in attendance and television. I'm assuming the league will have to take advantage and work on network deals for Fever games. 

I haven't watched too much women's basketball outside of the local high school level, but she is like nothing i have ever seen. There's only been one player that can create with the kind of accurate range she has, and that's steph curry. I don't see a way it is going to be stopped at the next level. Sure, slowed down some. She likely won't score 30 plus a game, at least not right away. But on the Fever, she will be playing with last year's 1st overall pick as well, 6 foot 5 Aliyah Boston. So she'll be able to be a Haliburton style point guard for the Fever that will have opportunities to facilitate, but with more range. Her passing ability is very underrated. She reminds me of Lebron at times when he's willing to not be involved much in the offense because he is drawing so much attention defensively, or finding an area on the floor that is open. But when she has the green light, she is dangerous. 

• Like 1