Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The optimism (delusion) thread.

07dleigh

On 5/13/2023 at 12:11 AM, rockywoj said:

**Quote edited to correct intended post:

By week 6, Colts could have a stranglehold on the division by winning …

wk 1. vs Jaguars,

wk 2, vs Texans

wk 5, vs Titans

& wk 6 vs Jaguars.

throw in wk. 4 vs Rams, colts could potentially be 5-1 & strongly in control of the AFC south, only 6 games in. 

Conversely, we’ll know after those first 6 weeks if the Colts are contenders or destined for another premium first round pick.  To flounder out of the gate in the first 6 weeks will sink the team’s season because of the divisional games implications.

On 5/15/2023 at 11:52 AM, Boondoggle said:

By week 6 I could win the lottery.  Doesn't mean it's likely to happen.

Two of the teams in this division have better QBs than the Colts, which is to say guys who have full grasp of the offense they run and the talent to execute it.  The other, the Texans, has a QB who should translate quicker than the long term project that is Richardson.

Hate to say it but our hopes of being a good team this season rest largely on two things.  First being the ability of Steichen to get Richardson ready quickly.  Second being Richardson's ability to learn and translate things far better than he did in college.  Neither is particularly likely.  Though of course anything can happen.

It's going to be hard for this fan base and the media at large to keep their eyes on what is important, which is not so much this year's results but rather the long term investment in the QB with the highest upside.  And in that equation there is a point where it does become a concern if he is not translating into consistent play at the position, but that won't be year one.  Well, it shouldn't be year one but today's media is gonna today's media.

I didn’t comment on how likely it may or may not be, just that factually, if things go well, the Colts can have the inside track to winning the division, after their first six games.  Alternatively, they might be well on their way to another very high draft choice.

10 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I didn’t comment on how likely it may or may not be, just that factually, if things go well, the Colts can have the inside track to winning the division, after their first six games.  Alternatively, they might be well on their way to another very high draft choice.

Yeah there is no telling.  And there is nothing wrong with fans being positive about an upcoming season, I typically am myself.  But this particular season I think it's important to remember we selected our QB due to upside so if we don't see immediate return with him that is fine.

Fans turning on QBs starts with unrealistic expectations.  Then as time unfolds and they don't see the return they set themselves up to expect the groupthink sours.  So just doing my part to remind folks that year one isn't why they drafted AR.  His upside is real but the road may be a bit rocky at the start.

• Like 2

I have been optimistic every year.  Even betting on Super Bowl wins after signing Wentz and Ryan.  I just thought they were those final pieces to what we had been building.  I'm again optimistic this year.  OL needs to bounce back big time.  JT needs to bounce back big time.  Leonard needs to bounce back big time.  I watched the video of our draft room.  Ballard celebrated when Houston traded for that 3 pick.  That told me he wanted AR all along.  If he is that excited about AR, we should be too.  Look at the first two picks.  How many Bama and Buckeye QBs have succeeded in the league recently.  I'm glad we didn't get them.  I didn't want Levis.  I fully believe this is our guy.  He IS my QB.  Here's hoping for another Blue Sunday in February very soon!  Go Colts!

• Like 1