Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Cosell on Colts' 2023 Draft Class

stitches

I think Greg Cosell is one of the best evaluators and analysts out there that are available for free and I value his opinion, even if I don't always agree with it. Here he is him talking about a few of the Colts picks with a Tennessee-based podcast:

I will try to transcribe some of his thoughts:

On Anthony Richardson:

- he starts talking about him by reading the end of his scouting report from before the draft and before knowing he will end up with the Colts: "I could see Richardson early in his career working in an offense similar to the Eagles’ with Jalen Hurts, with multiple run game concepts that start with the QB and a pass game that works off the run game with defined reads and throws, given the greater predictability of defensive alignments and coverages."

- he thought Richardson's best opportunity to be successful early was in that style of offense and that's exactly what he's getting. He added he thinks Richardson will start day 1.

- when the QB can run... when he has a major sigificant running element to his game if affects the defense in terms of how they align and how they have to account for gaps, because the QB is now a runner so very often, almost all the time, a safety now has to be in a different position than he would be in if it was more conventional offense with a great run game. That's why those offenses are built on the QB and his abilty to run. People think that because the Eagles offense looks so efficient, anyone can run it, but that's not true. Richardson will not be as efficient as Jalen Hurts was this year in the passing game, but the run game element will be there.

- every team plays with a safety in the box, when you play against a QB who can run, but the free safety also has to be involved in the run game. He's the extra QB player and he almost always lines up to the side of the RB, so now now that free safety is not really a deep player in a strict sense... he becomes that if it's a pass play but he doesn't start there, so with Richardson what you are going to get is, relatively speaking, it becomes easier in terms of what he's seeing.

- in this league, you cannot miss routine throws. You cannot miss the layups and he missed too many layups in college.

- There is a lot of talk about his lower body mechanics and there's no question about that - his footwork needs to be better, Too often his feet were either too wide or too close together. He didn't always throw with a firm base... but when he did, it was beautiful. It's there. It's in his body... it's a question of can he do it all the time?

On Julius Brents:

- 6'3"with 34" arms, which is absurd for a CB

- desirable combination of size, length, plus athletic movement, very competitive,

- extensive experience both in zone and man coverage.

- he can play mirror match press man, he can play physical press-man

- played good % of snaps in zone coverage and was one of a few of the CBs who showed a strong feel for route concepts and combinations in zone coverage, which you don't see often with college CBs

- most 6'3" CBs are not what you would describe as sudden or explosive, but he's smooth, he's fluid. Thought he had really good traits. Not surprised he went in R2.

On Josh Downs:

- He's different than the big receivers the Colts have...

- twitchy, explosive slot type receiver

- dynamic route quickness, he's sudden and shifty, dynamic after the catch guy, he can accelerate

- he is a space guy, you will see him in motion

- he's a really good prospect

- not the size you would want, but he fits today's NFL passing game, you can move him, he's a fun watch

- fits extremely well in that style of offense

On Adetomiwa Adebawore:

- an interesting prospect... he has unbelievable physical and athletic traits

- he's not as good as his traits at this moment, and that's probably why he lasted until day 3.

- the 40 time, the jumps, the short shuttle is off-the-charts...

- played inside and outside in Northwestern

- really good arm length, burst and suddenness to his movement, strong powerful hands

- the traits are all there in his body, you can see it on tape on occasion, but you don't see it quite enough

- great confined space force and strength, really strong heavy hands... he has so many things you love and there so much to work with and cultivate ... it just needs to come out more in his play

• Thanks 7

I think he's right about Richardson for maybe his 1st 2 years. The way he can process information is phenomenal. After 2 years I think he can run any style of offense. Only thing I think that will hold him back is repetition. Adetomwa I believe is the opposite sorta. Won't see much from him till next year if he can except what is taught to him. I think Brents will have longer career than Rush, bit Rush will have an immediate impact. I'm pretty high on Hull. I like him better than Moss and Jackson as a compliment to Taylor. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Thanks!  I like that podcast, the guy hosting is very good.  Too bad he's a Titans fan, or I'd put it in my rotation.

I have it in my feed and listen to it when Cosell is on. I think he's invaluable resource for fans of any team really. 

• Like 1