Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the QB considered set in this TD snap to the TE Noah Gray?

chad72

https://www.chiefs.com/video/touchdown-noah-gray-steals-snap-from-patrick-mahomes-for-his-first-rush-td

I thought the QB needs to be totally set and if he is under center, the RB next to him has to be set. In this case, since Noah Gray takes the snap vs Bucs for a TD, shouldn't Mahomes be totally set?

Is it just a momentary second of Mahomes having his hands still for the snap to TE Noah Gray to work? How does players being set work in this scenario? Anyone nuanced with rules about players being set, please explain. 

The Dolphins copied Andy Reid in their game vs Jets similarly.

They did call Travis Kelce on one play for starting towards the LOS before the snap.  I have noticed that before from many receivers but it isn't called.  I thought maybe the rule had changed.

And I still think the whole center head bob is garbage.  He needs to be set too.

47 minutes ago, Indy87 said:

Doesn’t it become obvious who is taking the snap when a guy runs up behind the center?  

That is not the point of my question.

If Noah Gray is taking the snap, does Mahomes become like an RB or any other non-QB that has to be set, without which a false start can be called? That is the true question. Or did Mahomes freeze for a second when Noah took the snap and was considered set after initially distracting with his finger pointing? I couldn't figure out if Mahomes was truly set when Noah took the snap.

Or is Noah the one that has to be set before the snap still? (I think I might have answered my own question, this is no different than a direct snap to an RB that is set and the QB is still considered QB, whether he takes the snap or not, and allowed to move/distract while the others have to set, duh!!!) :) 

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

That is not the point of my question.

If Noah Gray is taking the snap, does Mahomes become like an RB or any other non-QB that has to be set, without which a false start can be called? That is the true question. Or did Mahomes freeze for a second when Noah took the snap and was considered set after initially distracting with his finger pointing? I couldn't figure out if Mahomes was truly set when Noah took the snap.

Or is Noah the one that has to be set before the snap still? (I think I might have answered my own question, this is no different than a direct snap to an RB that is set and the QB is still considered QB, whether he takes the snap or not, and allowed to move/distract while the others have to set, duh!!!) :) 

sorry I should have clarified my response was to the video itself and not your question. 

and I believe it would be a false start. The refs called a false start on Peyton when they directly snapped it to James. It was almost exactly this play. The only difference is that James wasn’t under center he was further back. But Peyton was acting like he was calling a play and was moving around. 

this was back in 2003, though.

Archived