Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Earn The Position

John Hammonds

Was thinking about how poorly Danny Pinter is playing, and why on earth is he starting.  And suddenly came upon something that I hadn't fully considered:  Ballard and Reich aren't following one of the cardinal rules of football -- Never just give a starting job to a player.  Every player must earn it.

Ok, maybe it's not a cardinal rule all around.  But it's something that I think should be a coaching rule.  If you want the starting job, you have to beat the guy ahead of you to earn it.  Otherwise, the player doesn't fully respect or understand the amount of hard work or level of play required to enjoy the fruits of being in the starting lineup.  If you just give it to them, they don't get it.

And we haven't been doing it.

Examples:

• Moe Allie-Cox was a great find.  A basketball player learning to play football.  And we had Jack Doyle.  A good starter, and somebody to learn behind.  But Jack's play was slipping.  He was getting hurt more often.  It was time for him to retire.  Did MAC ever, during the course of a season, challenge Doyle for the starting job?  No.  He never did.  He never could.  Even in Doyle's final year with depleted playing abilities.  Doyle retired.  And we gave the starting job to MAC.  He never earned it.
  • Kwity Paye is a talented young player from Michigan with an incredible story.  He started as a rookie.  From the very beginning.  Who was the guy in front of him that he was supposed to beat?  Justin Houston.  Whose salary requirements were no longer commensurate with his declining skill set.  We chose not to re-sign him.  And Paye wound up without the appreciation that comes from earning a starting job.
  • Alec Pierce is a rookie receiver out of Cincinnati.  He's got talent.  Definitely more talent than most of the other receivers on our team.  Not the experience, though.  And he was named the starter, first game.  Who was the guy ahead of him?  TY Hilton, of course.  Who, just like Houston, had skills that had deteriorated so far that it no longer made sense to pay him accordingly.  We never re-signed Hilton.  And Pierce never earned the starting job.  He was given it.
  • Danny Pinter.  A 2020 5th round pick local boy from nearby Ball State.  A project with potential.  Two years later, we decide that Mark Glowinski is no longer worth the money we would have to give him in order to re-sign him.  Quick discussion around the table.  And we somehow decide that Pinter "is ready" to start.  Did he earn the starting job from Glow?  No.  And he plays like it.

More and more, our starting lineup is getting populated by players who never had to earn their position by taking from the guy in front of them.

And I think it shows.

I agree with the premise and that was why I had hope that during the pre-season, when the Colts had Pinter and Kelly switching positions, that it would stick.  I stated it in a post, as my thinking back then was that Pinter wasn't strong enough to play Right Guard, but more than quick and athletic enough to stick at Center.  Conversely, I felt Kelly was more than strong enough to play Right Guard, and slipping a bit in quickness, most likey due to age and injuries.  It was looking like I was correct in my assessment of Pinter, at least.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Was thinking about how poorly Danny Pinter is playing, and why on earth is he starting.  And suddenly came upon something that I hadn't fully considered:  Ballard and Reich aren't following one of the cardinal rules of football -- Never just give a starting job to a player.  Every player must earn it.

Ok, maybe it's not a cardinal rule all around.  But it's something that I think should be a coaching rule.  If you want the starting job, you have to beat the guy ahead of you to earn it.  Otherwise, the player doesn't fully respect or understand the amount of hard work or level of play required to enjoy the fruits of being in the starting lineup.  If you just give it to them, they don't get it.

And we haven't been doing it.

Examples:

• Moe Allie-Cox was a great find.  A basketball player learning to play football.  And we had Jack Doyle.  A good starter, and somebody to learn behind.  But Jack's play was slipping.  He was getting hurt more often.  It was time for him to retire.  Did MAC ever, during the course of a season, challenge Doyle for the starting job?  No.  He never did.  He never could.  Even in Doyle's final year with depleted playing abilities.  Doyle retired.  And we gave the starting job to MAC.  He never earned it.
  • Kwity Paye is a talented young player from Michigan with an incredible story.  He started as a rookie.  From the very beginning.  Who was the guy in front of him that he was supposed to beat?  Justin Houston.  Whose salary requirements were no longer commensurate with his declining skill set.  We chose not to re-sign him.  And Paye wound up without the appreciation that comes from earning a starting job.
  • Alec Pierce is a rookie receiver out of Cincinnati.  He's got talent.  Definitely more talent than most of the other receivers on our team.  Not the experience, though.  And he was named the starter, first game.  Who was the guy ahead of him?  TY Hilton, of course.  Who, just like Houston, had skills that had deteriorated so far that it no longer made sense to pay him accordingly.  We never re-signed Hilton.  And Pierce never earned the starting job.  He was given it.
  • Danny Pinter.  A 2020 5th round pick local boy from nearby Ball State.  A project with potential.  Two years later, we decide that Mark Glowinski is no longer worth the money we would have to give him in order to re-sign him.  Quick discussion around the table.  And we somehow decide that Pinter "is ready" to start.  Did he earn the starting job from Glow?  No.  And he plays like it.

More and more, our starting lineup is getting populated by players who never had to earn their position by taking from the guy in front of them.

And I think it shows.

They probably decided Pinter earned the starting position based on how he played last year though admittedly not at RG.  The same reasoning could be said for Pryor moving to LT.  They both worked hard showed well when they played so they were comfortable going that route.  Better for cap purposes as well.  No one really complained about the Pinter move until they started playing games.  Now it’s concerning.  So far they are showing patience.  We will find out soon enough how long it lasts.

3 hours ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

I agree with the premise and that was why I had hope that during the pre-season, when the Colts had Pinter and Kelly switching positions, that it would stick.  I stated it in a post, as my thinking back then was that Pinter wasn't strong enough to play Right Guard, but more than quick and athletic enough to stick at Center.  Conversely, I felt Kelly was more than strong enough to play Right Guard, and slipping a bit in quickness, most likey due to age and injuries.  It was looking like I was correct in my assessment of Pinter, at least.

3 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Yep...Kelly is going downhill fast and Pinter is just not strong enough or talented enough.

Braden Smith seems to have gone downhill a lot since he got paid as well.

We are going to have to bite the bullet and draft o-line early next year.

ill bet you my left nut that doesnt happen

Archived