Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 PFF: Colts Offense (G3)

EastStreet

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

dude watch Matt pinters play on all 22.  No amount of “coaching” is going to fix the physical adzwhooppin he took.  There were missed assignments on pickups, but our line is losing way too many 1 on 1 battles for the investment.  The missed assignments are in Ryan or Kelly , both long term vets whi make a ton of money.

Ryan is not looking quick enough to be good in this team kinda like I was wondering preseason.

I disagree Ryan was good Saturday overall.  He had a 1 foot TD pass to an uncovered TE that any QB would have thrown.  Other than that he was bad until afresh the Unsportsmanlike then he led a nice methodical drive.  But overall he wasn’t good IMO.

our problem 

Didn't mention Pinter. Said he should be replaced. Not sure why you are making this Pinter? Everyone knows he's the weak link.

And everyone knew Matt isn't mobile. Everyone knew wasn't quick trigger (like Rivers).

Why expect a different QB lol... he is Matt Ryan, same guy we've seen for years. 

The OL he had last season, was worse. Still, his AY/A and ADOT was much better. That's all scheme. 

Ryan vs KC...

73% completion rate

106 passer rate

2 / 0 TD-INT ratio

While getting sacked 5 times...

And vs the team who was #1 in QB pressure %

Your expectations are unrealistic given OL, and scheme/calls. Not mention vs #1 QB pressure rate. 

Anyone, who looks stats, says "good"...

And please.... no bull about "stats don't tell the truth"... 

That bull is for folks that want to diminish plain fact. 

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Didn't mention Pinter. Said he should be replaced. Not sure why you are making this Pinter? Everyone knows he's the weak link.

And everyone knew Matt isn't mobile. Everyone knew wasn't quick trigger (like Rivers).

Why expect a different QB lol... he is Matt Ryan, same guy we've seen for years. 

The OL he had last season, was worse. Still, his AY/A and ADOT was much better. That's all scheme. 

Ryan vs KC...

73% completion rate

106 passer rate

2 / 0 TD-INT ratio

While getting sacked 5 times...

And vs the team who was #1 in QB pressure %

Your expectations are unrealistic given OL, and scheme/calls. Not mention vs #1 QB pressure rate. 

Anyone, who looks stats, says "good"...

And please.... no bull about "stats don't tell the truth"... 

That bull is for folks that want to diminish plain fact. 

Point about Pinter is this is what CB has given the team.  We are the highest paid OLine in the league and aspire to medocrity.  Thats a major failure by the GM IMO.  We were terrible at pass pro last year and it looks like that trend is continuing.  You think we are going to have some other coach come in here and make chicken salad from some other chicken substance. 

My expectations for Ryan aren't greater than what he's showing East.  He looks like an older, slower primarily downfield passer that has always had plus pass catchers his entire career in an offense that doesn't work that way.  

He will be some better.  But I never thought he would improve this team much if any.  It looks like that is the direction he is heading. Completion rates are all high these days for the most part.   Geno Smith for instance has a 78 completion rate for the season.  That stat is fine, but doesn't move the needle.

I've been saying that our problems are that we don't/can't challenge teams outside the numbers and down the field much.   Taylor is a straight ahead RB that needs good blocking at the LOS to do his thing.  When he gains yardage on the outside it not hardly ever a bounce thing but the blocking scheme walling off the EDGEs.  Pittman is a solid inside X type of guy, but that is still the middle of the field primarily.  

You advocate for PC playing outside and running goes.  Never even in college was a consistent successful thing for him in college.  He's probably never going to be a good Z type.  We have him, Hines, and Dulin who all seem best suited for the slot.

Pierce looked encouraging with a couple of 50 50 catches outside the numbers.  But he's likely going to be limited this year as a rook.

Look I am indifferent to Frank.  But I think alot of what you think are bad play calls are dictated by what personnel we have.  WE are built to attack the middle of the field and little else. 

KC and GB are finding out quickly how valuable their #1 pass catchers were to their teams.  KC looked great v. AZ but struggled mightily with SD winning on a 99 yd. INT return and us. 

9 hours ago, Nickster said:

Point about Pinter is this is what CB has given the team.  We are the highest paid OLine in the league and aspire to medocrity.  Thats a major failure by the GM IMO.  We were terrible at pass pro last year and it looks like that trend is continuing.  You think we are going to have some other coach come in here and make chicken salad from some other chicken substance. 

My expectations for Ryan aren't greater than what he's showing East.  He looks like an older, slower primarily downfield passer that has always had plus pass catchers his entire career in an offense that doesn't work that way.  

He will be some better.  But I never thought he would improve this team much if any.  It looks like that is the direction he is heading. Completion rates are all high these days for the most part.   Geno Smith for instance has a 78 completion rate for the season.  That stat is fine, but doesn't move the needle.

I've been saying that our problems are that we don't/can't challenge teams outside the numbers and down the field much.   Taylor is a straight ahead RB that needs good blocking at the LOS to do his thing.  When he gains yardage on the outside it not hardly ever a bounce thing but the blocking scheme walling off the EDGEs.  Pittman is a solid inside X type of guy, but that is still the middle of the field primarily.  

You advocate for PC playing outside and running goes.  Never even in college was a consistent successful thing for him in college.  He's probably never going to be a good Z type.  We have him, Hines, and Dulin who all seem best suited for the slot.

Pierce looked encouraging with a couple of 50 50 catches outside the numbers.  But he's likely going to be limited this year as a rook.

Look I am indifferent to Frank.  But I think alot of what you think are bad play calls are dictated by what personnel we have.  WE are built to attack the middle of the field and little else. 

KC and GB are finding out quickly how valuable their #1 pass catchers were to their teams.  KC looked great v. AZ but struggled mightily with SD winning on a 99 yd. INT return and us. 

Agree with what you're saying.

Matt has a terrible pass protection like Wentz had. One thing Wentz had that Matt doesn't is JT. We had a decent run blocking line. Not now and I'm trying and dumb founded on where it went..

Any ideas??? Maybe we should've kept Fisher??

Just asking and want too hear anyone's opinion on this, where is the run blocking?

10 hours ago, Nickster said:

Not going to blame Ballard for everything, especially OL. Sure, should have kept Glow or Reed to make things easy, but Strausser isn't good as his job. The previous OL coach was aggressive, and used several combos to figure it out. By game 4 or 5, was solid. Strausser messed with LT, with Raimann, but he's ignored RG. LT has been acceptable so far. RG is not. Need to insert Dennis Kelly or moving Raimann to right side. 

On Ryan... sorry, not going to begin blaming him. He didn't sign up for OL issues. And Frank's scheme doesn't help (that's on top of simple bad calling). He is exactly the same from previous years. He is not mobile. He has a medium (not quick) trigger. He is a pocket passer. Shouldn't be surprise anyone. Ryan and Wentz aren't elite QBs, but neither deserve scapegoating. 

Reich make things easy on opponent Ds. Predictable, bad calls, and conservative. Strausser should do his job. Perhaps hurt some feelings... Both deserve pink slips. 

6 hours ago, Maniac53 said:

Agree with what you're saying.

Matt has a terrible pass protection like Wentz had. One thing Wentz had that Matt doesn't is JT. We had a decent run blocking line. Not now and I'm trying and dumb founded on where it went..

Any ideas??? Maybe we should've kept Fisher??

Just asking and want too hear anyone's opinion on this, where is the run blocking?

I think d’s have adjusted somewhat.  The get right up in our faces and challenge everything.  We will adjust and then we will see what happens.

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not going to blame Ballard for everything, especially OL. Sure, should have kept Glow or Reed to make things easy, but Strausser isn't good as his job. The previous OL coach was aggressive, and used several combos to figure it out. By game 4 or 5, was solid. Strausser messed with LT, with Raimann, but he's ignored RG. LT has been acceptable so far. RG is not. Need to insert Dennis Kelly or moving Raimann to right side. 

On Ryan... sorry, not going to begin blaming him. He didn't sign up for OL issues. And Frank's scheme doesn't help (that's on top of simple bad calling). He is exactly the same from previous years. He is not mobile. He has a medium (not quick) trigger. He is a pocket passer. Shouldn't be surprise anyone. Ryan and Wentz aren't elite QBs, but neither deserve scapegoating. 

Reich make things easy on opponent Ds. Predictable, bad calls, and conservative. Strausser should do his job. Perhaps hurt some feelings... Both deserve pink slips. 

I’m down with all that.  

But I think you might be over looking that all our big salary o linemen are playing below what they did when they got paid.  q has been pretty good but not dominant.  I know you are not high on Kelly.  He’s been pretty meh average for about seasons now.  Smith ain’t playing well.

I also think the run suffers from Doyle and Pascals absence.  Both guys were plus run blockers and helped occupy LBs and safeties giving Taylor more space in the trash.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I’m down with all that.  

But I think you might be over looking that all our big salary o linemen are playing below what they did when they got paid.  q has been pretty good but not dominant.  I know you are not high on Kelly.  He’s been pretty meh average for about seasons now.  Smith ain’t playing well.

I also think the run suffers from Doyle and Pascals absence.  Both guys were plus run blockers and helped occupy LBs and safeties giving Taylor more space in the trash.

Not overlooking at all. I've been very consistent. 

Nelson is fine. He's 75+, and that's acceptable. 

Ryan Kelly, has slid since Strausser came on. Had his best year with DeGug, then grade dropped every single year since.... 

Smith has slid this year. It's not just because Pinter is next to him. Skates on outside rushes. His feelings need hurt lol. 

Strausser letting RG go untouched...  unacceptable.

DeGug wouldn't... He would have tried other combos by now. 

Not buying Doyle and Pascal... our OL scheme, especially run blocking, is too cute and too complex. Go more power/man. We don't need 2 guys pulling every run, and go "read" every time. And JT has been made several bad reads. That's on him. And stop going middle over and over... lol... But we need to simplify more than anything. 

22 minutes ago, Nickster said:

What would I be surprised at?  I don’t know much about advanced stats for RBs.  I know the pFf numbers you are posting are not at the level he was at.

Tell me what you would guess with stack box stuff. Rates, YPC, etc.. this season vs last. 

Or stuff runs this season vs last... 

Or YBC (yards before contact) this season vs last (which is a decent OL signal)

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Tell me what you would guess with stack box stuff. Rates, YPC, etc.. this season vs last. 

Or stuff runs this season vs last... 

Or YBC (yards before contact) this season vs last (which is a decent OL signal)

You aren't allowed to say anything about JT on here except that he's the greatest running back of all time in all phases of the game, lol.  But I guess I will type my mind.

I wouldn't think there would be too much difference in stuff runs.  He got stuffed quite a bit last year and made a lot of hay on his long breakaway type of runs.  He really hasn't had any of those long ones yet, but they increase his ypc dramatically.  When I watch film with Taylor, he needs excellent blocking to get through the los because his lateral agility is not a strong suit.  So I wouldn't think this stat would be dramatically different, the lower ypc would seem to be a function of not having the big runs to my eyes.

YPC is significantly lower I would surmise for the same reason.  

YBC last year would be much greater last year than this year I would think.  JT when he was rolling would often have massive lanes to get up to speed in and then he's deadly in the open field running right at a defender and doing one of his dramatic one cut type of stuff. 

This is where I think guys like Doyle and Pascal would make a big difference.

Taylor's strength is burning Ds with explosive speed, and there either hasn't been or he hasn't found those seems to exploit as much this year so far than last it seems to me.  I don't think JT is special around the LOS.  Middle of the road IMO at the first level of the D. 

So what do the actual numbers say?

Another thing I find interesting is his ypc is 4.7 which in the past would be outstanding, but it's middle of the road right now in the league.  There are 12 teams that average 4.7 or above.

10 hours ago, Nickster said:

You aren't allowed to say anything about JT on here except that he's the greatest running back of all time in all phases of the game, lol.  But I guess I will type my mind.

I wouldn't think there would be too much difference in stuff runs.  He got stuffed quite a bit last year and made a lot of hay on his long breakaway type of runs.  He really hasn't had any of those long ones yet, but they increase his ypc dramatically.  When I watch film with Taylor, he needs excellent blocking to get through the los because his lateral agility is not a strong suit.  So I wouldn't think this stat would be dramatically different, the lower ypc would seem to be a function of not having the big runs to my eyes.

YPC is significantly lower I would surmise for the same reason.  

YBC last year would be much greater last year than this year I would think.  JT when he was rolling would often have massive lanes to get up to speed in and then he's deadly in the open field running right at a defender and doing one of his dramatic one cut type of stuff. 

This is where I think guys like Doyle and Pascal would make a big difference.

Taylor's strength is burning Ds with explosive speed, and there either hasn't been or he hasn't found those seems to exploit as much this year so far than last it seems to me.  I don't think JT is special around the LOS.  Middle of the road IMO at the first level of the D. 

So what do the actual numbers say?

Another thing I find interesting is his ypc is 4.7 which in the past would be outstanding, but it's middle of the road right now in the league.  There are 12 teams that average 4.7 or above.

I started digging a bit last night. Will finish while watching CFB tonight and post in a specific JT thread. Won't take much time. 

You'll be surprised. Hint... YBC is better this year (which is a good indicator on OL). And OL run blocking grade is better this year.... 

18 hours ago, Nickster said:

I think d’s have adjusted somewhat.  The get right up in our faces and challenge everything.  We will adjust and then we will see what happens.

I haven't watched much Titan football this season.

My buddy is a Titan fan and he claims their OL isn't been all that great either.

Does anyone know much about Titans OL play so far?

Not that it matters every team could bounce back and start playing to their potential with good coaching.

15 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

I haven't watched much Titan football this season.

My buddy is a Titan fan and he claims their OL isn't been all that great either.

Does anyone know much about Titans OL play so far?

Not that it matters every team could bounce back and start playing to their potential with good coaching.

Titans OL is #11 pass pro

Their run blocking is meh. 

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I started digging a bit last night. Will finish while watching CFB tonight and post in a specific JT thread. Won't take much time. 

You'll be surprised. Hint... YBC is better this year (which is a good indicator on OL). And OL run blocking grade is better this year.... 

yeah I saw that ybC.  Number.  Man he’s had places to gain 4 or 5 yds, but the safeties etc have been there to limit the damage.  There isn’t much special about Taylor until he gets to the 2nd or 3rd level.

that’s why I’d bet you if you studied film from last year after throwing out the first 5 games when our line was a mash unit you’d see that their was better downfield blocking on many of his runs.  It would be a lot of work and neither one of us would want to do that, but I betcha it’s there.

8 hours ago, Nickster said:

yeah I saw that ybC.  Number.  Man he’s had places to gain 4 or 5 yds, but the safeties etc have been there to limit the damage.  There isn’t much special about Taylor until he gets to the 2nd or 3rd level.

that’s why I’d bet you if you studied film from last year after throwing out the first 5 games when our line was a mash unit you’d see that their was better downfield blocking on many of his runs.  It would be a lot of work and neither one of us would want to do that, but I betcha it’s there.

It's mostly opponents going more shallow. They don't respect us pass 10-15 yards. 

This year, and 2nd half of 2021 season. 

You can see Ss going shallow in Owens vid. 

In short, our shallow O makes it harder for QB, RB, WR/TE and OL... And folks wonder why separation is hard with all the congestion (DBs and LBs). Wondering why RBs aren't going for long runs. 

Archived