Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor's off-season camping trip

CR91

• CR91 changed the title to Taylor's off-season camping trip

Interesting that it seems like this was paid for by Under Armour.  Here's a part of the article:

"“Our main goal was to take Jonathan out of his comfort zone by removing the control he typically has over his workout conditions, meal planning and sleep schedule, and push him to thrive in the most extreme, sub-zero conditions,” Under Armour vice president of Human Performance, Science and Research Paul Winsper said. “My team and I look forward to seeing how the mental and physical benefits of Jonathan's offseason cold-weather training pays off on the field this year.”"

----

I tend to think JT is a stud and just needed some time to get comfortable last year.  I think if he did a 'normal' offseason he would be pretty well off, too.  That said, glad to see him challenging himself.  Having recently moved from Wyoming, I can vouch to the fact that hiking/snowshoeing through mountains in subzero weather is a very physically and mentally challenging thing and from the article it sounds like he put both mental and physical tests to the limit.

I am just curious to know how much the Colts training staff and Under Armour worked together on this, as I haven't really heard of a player's sponsor saying something very close the statement that Under Armour had where it seemed like it was almost entirely their idea (e.g., I imagine Gatorade had some role in some of the mic'ed up clips of Peyton talking about how good Gatorade is, since he was sponsored by them and the Colts have Gatorade coolers/water bottles on the sidelines, and imagine they asked Peyton to drink Gatorade instead of Powerade or another competing brand when choosing a sports drink, especially when he was being filmed... but I don't ever remember them saying 'we wanted to take Peyton out of his normal offseason routine this year and go out into the wilderness to climb mountains and dig ice pits in sub-zero weather').

15 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Interesting that it seems like this was paid for by Under Armour.  Here's a part of the article:

"“Our main goal was to take Jonathan out of his comfort zone by removing the control he typically has over his workout conditions, meal planning and sleep schedule, and push him to thrive in the most extreme, sub-zero conditions,” Under Armour vice president of Human Performance, Science and Research Paul Winsper said. “My team and I look forward to seeing how the mental and physical benefits of Jonathan's offseason cold-weather training pays off on the field this year.”"

----

I tend to think JT is a stud and just needed some time to get comfortable last year.  I think if he did a 'normal' offseason he would be pretty well off, too.  That said, glad to see him challenging himself.  Having recently moved from Wyoming, I can vouch to the fact that hiking/snowshoeing through mountains in subzero weather is a very physically and mentally challenging thing and from the article it sounds like he put both mental and physical tests to the limit.

I am just curious to know how much the Colts training staff and Under Armour worked together on this, as I haven't really heard of a player's sponsor saying something very close the statement that Under Armour had where it seemed like it was almost entirely their idea (e.g., I imagine Gatorade had some role in some of the mic'ed up clips of Peyton talking about how good Gatorade is, since he was sponsored by them and the Colts have Gatorade coolers/water bottles on the sidelines, and imagine they asked Peyton to drink Gatorade instead of Powerade or another competing brand when choosing a sports drink, especially when he was being filmed... but I don't ever remember them saying 'we wanted to take Peyton out of his normal offseason routine this year and go out into the wilderness to climb mountains and dig ice pits in sub-zero weather').

Sounds like a tremendous experience not a lot of people would be able to do. The journey itself is difficult without adding the weather and food restrictions.

Archived