Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Offseason 2.0

Completed Trade

Eagles trade QB Carson Wentz to the Colts for Pick #84, Conditional 2022 2nd Round Pick 

Wentz 2021 Cap Hit: $25.4 M 

Cap Space after Wentz trade: $45,889,614 (per Overthecap)

Extensions (No Impact on 2021 Cap)

LB Darius Leonard - 5 Years/$90 M ($48 M Guaranteed)

RB Nyheim Hines - 3 Years/$16.5 M ($5 M Guaranteed) 

T Braden Smith - 4 Years/$60 M ($28 M Guaranteed)

G Quenton Nelson - 6 Years/$93 M ($44 M Guaranteed)

Restructures

TE Jack Doyle – Saves $1,762,500

DT Grover Stewart – Saves $3,780,000

C Ryan Kelly - Saves $6,757,500

Cap Space after Restructures: $58,189,614

Re-sign

Unrestricted Free Agents

DE Al-Quadin Muhammed - 2 Years/$5 M 

C Joey Hunt - 1 Year/$1 M 

WR TY Hilton - 2 Years/$18 M - While it looks like he may very well be moving on, it's hard to picture him not in a Colts jersey.

DE Denico Autry - 2 Years/$13 M - I think the Colts will keep one of Autry and Houston, and opt for Autry since he is younger. 

Restricted Free Agents 

WR Zach Pascal - RFA 2nd Round Tender ($3,422,000)

TE Mo Alie-Cox - RFA 2nd Round Tender ($3,422,000)

S George Odum - RFA Original Round Tender ($2,240,000)

Exclusive Rights Free Agents 

WR Ashton Dulin - ERFA Tender ($850,000)

DT Taylor Stallworth - ERFA Tender ($850,000)

Cap Space Remaining (Top 51 Contracts): $35,368,614

Free Agents

DE Romeo Okwara-  4 Years/$38 M ($12 M Guaranteed)

I initially had Carl Lawson in my first mock, but after looking at these two players more, I feel Okwara would be the better fit. Both Lawson and Okwara are the same age (25). Okwara had nearly double the amount of sacks (10 to 5.5), but Lawson had nearly twice as many QB Hits (32 to 18). The reason I went with Okwara is because Okwara gets to the quarterback based on power, while Lawson uses speed. Both are important traits for an EDGE, but Ballard typically covets players that can win on the edge with their strength, rather than their speed. Okwara had a very productive 2020 season, with 61 total pressures, tied for the fifth-most among all edge rushers. His length also aids him in setting the edge in run defense. Either Lawson or Okwara would be a welcomed addition to the Colts EDGE rotation, though I feel Okwara would be the better fit.  

G/T Joe Haeg - 2 Years/$3 M 

Haeg returns after a one year stint in Tampa Bay. Haeg was the most versatile lineman on the Colts roster, and returns to provide more depth and flexibility along the line. 

TE Gerald Everett - 3 Years/$22 M ($7 M Guaranteed)

Colts need a vertical threat at the TE position. Doyle and Alie-Cox are both good TEs, but they do not stretch the field like Ebron did when he was with Luck. Everett adds more explosive to the position, with 58.2% of Everett's receiving yards coming after the catch. I feel players like Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry will price themselves out of the Colts price range given the free TE market is top heavy. Everett's stats and production to this point in his career do not scream TE1, but he has the upside and athleticism to be a productive TE in Reich's system.  

CB Chidobe Awuzie - 3 Years/$25.5 M (First Year Fully Guaranteed)

With Rhodes pricing himself out of Indianapolis and the up and down career so far for Ya-Sin, Colts need to address CB in either the draft or free agency. Awuzie is a zone corner, which means he’s not necessarily a fit anymore in Dallas' man cover scheme with Dan Quinn. However, he fits very well in the zone cover scheme former Dallas coach Eberflus runs in Indianapolis. Eberflus’ zone coverage usage this past season was the second-highest in the NFL, behind only Brandon Staley’s Los Angeles Rams, at 76.6%. Awuzie's familiarity with Eberflus and the scheme fit could turn him into a valuable starting CB opposite Ya-Sin. 

Cap Space Remaining: $11,726,653

NFL Draft

Trade: Colts trade #21 to the Bills for #30, #93

Pick 21 value - 800 points 

Pick 30 & 93 Value - 748 points

Round 1 Pick 30: OT Liam Eichenberg Notre Dame

A popular name in Colts mock drafts, Eichenberg comes in the fill the void at LT left by Castonzo. He's not the most athletic tackle, but he is one of the more pro-ready tackles in the draft and should be a solid replacement on the left side of the line. 

Round 2 Pick 54: WR Elijah Moore Ole Miss

Even with Hilton coming back in this mock, Colts need to find their slot WR of the future. Moore is a big-play threat and can thrive in Reich's system. He's near identical to Hilton's size, so he would always be in the slot. If Pittman Jr can take the next step and if Campbell can remain healthy, Moore can become a valuable weapon in the Colts offense. 

Round 3 Pick 93 (VIA BUF): EDGE Payton Turner Houston

Turner checks nearly all the boxes for what Ballard wants in an EDGE. He's versatile, can play inside and out. He gets to the QB with power and has the length to set the edge in the run game. As a younger version of what Autry brings to the front 4, Turner will develop over the next couple seasons and fill Autry's role along the D line. 

Round 4 Pick 128: CB Benjamin St-Juste Minnesota 

Another Balland-esque pick, St-Juste is a tall corner (6'3") with the length (32" arm length) that Ballard desires in his corners.  St-Juste is one of the better tackling corners in the draft, but will naturally struggle in deep coverage. St-Juste will battle it out with Tell for the TJ Carrie role on the defense. 

Round 5 Pick 166: S JaCoby Stevens LSU 

Another popular pick in Colts mock drafts, Stevens is a extremely versatile player that can line up almost anywhere on the field. Colts could use a hybrid player like Stevens to use as a 3rd safety in certain packages. 

Round 6 Pick 201: LB Paddy Fisher Northwestern

Replace one Northwestern LB with another. Fisher is a 2 down linebacker that struggles in pass coverage. He's decent against the run and will play the early downs like Walker did for the Colts. Colts primarily run nickel lineups most of the time, so a premier LB to fill Walker's void is not necessary. 

Round 7 Pick 245: IOL Robert Jones Middle Tennessee 

A developmental guard that adds depth and has the potential to replace Glowinski some day if he progresses. 

2 hours ago, Caleb3502 said:

Completed Trade

Eagles trade QB Carson Wentz to the Colts for Pick #84, Conditional 2022 2nd Round Pick 

Wentz 2021 Cap Hit: $25.4 M 

Cap Space after Wentz trade: $45,889,614 (per Overthecap)

Extensions (No Impact on 2021 Cap)

LB Darius Leonard - 5 Years/$90 M ($48 M Guaranteed)

RB Nyheim Hines - 3 Years/$16.5 M ($5 M Guaranteed) 

T Braden Smith - 4 Years/$60 M ($28 M Guaranteed)

G Quenton Nelson - 6 Years/$93 M ($44 M Guaranteed)

Restructures

TE Jack Doyle – Saves $1,762,500

DT Grover Stewart – Saves $3,780,000

C Ryan Kelly - Saves $6,757,500

Cap Space after Restructures: $58,189,614

Re-sign

Unrestricted Free Agents

DE Al-Quadin Muhammed - 2 Years/$5 M 

C Joey Hunt - 1 Year/$1 M 

WR TY Hilton - 2 Years/$18 M - While it looks like he may very well be moving on, it's hard to picture him not in a Colts jersey.

DE Denico Autry - 2 Years/$13 M - I think the Colts will keep one of Autry and Houston, and opt for Autry since he is younger. 

Restricted Free Agents 

WR Zach Pascal - RFA 2nd Round Tender ($3,422,000)

TE Mo Alie-Cox - RFA 2nd Round Tender ($3,422,000)

S George Odum - RFA Original Round Tender ($2,240,000)

Exclusive Rights Free Agents 

WR Ashton Dulin - ERFA Tender ($850,000)

DT Taylor Stallworth - ERFA Tender ($850,000)

Cap Space Remaining (Top 51 Contracts): $35,368,614

Free Agents

DE Romeo Okwara-  4 Years/$38 M ($12 M Guaranteed)

I initially had Carl Lawson in my first mock, but after looking at these two players more, I feel Okwara would be the better fit. Both Lawson and Okwara are the same age (25). Okwara had nearly double the amount of sacks (10 to 5.5), but Lawson had nearly twice as many QB Hits (32 to 18). The reason I went with Okwara is because Okwara gets to the quarterback based on power, while Lawson uses speed. Both are important traits for an EDGE, but Ballard typically covets players that can win on the edge with their strength, rather than their speed. Okwara had a very productive 2020 season, with 61 total pressures, tied for the fifth-most among all edge rushers. His length also aids him in setting the edge in run defense. Either Lawson or Okwara would be a welcomed addition to the Colts EDGE rotation, though I feel Okwara would be the better fit.  

G/T Joe Haeg - 2 Years/$3 M 

Haeg returns after a one year stint in Tampa Bay. Haeg was the most versatile lineman on the Colts roster, and returns to provide more depth and flexibility along the line. 

TE Gerald Everett - 3 Years/$22 M ($7 M Guaranteed)

Colts need a vertical threat at the TE position. Doyle and Alie-Cox are both good TEs, but they do not stretch the field like Ebron did when he was with Luck. Everett adds more explosive to the position, with 58.2% of Everett's receiving yards coming after the catch. I feel players like Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry will price themselves out of the Colts price range given the free TE market is top heavy. Everett's stats and production to this point in his career do not scream TE1, but he has the upside and athleticism to be a productive TE in Reich's system.  

CB Chidobe Awuzie - 3 Years/$25.5 M (First Year Fully Guaranteed)

With Rhodes pricing himself out of Indianapolis and the up and down career so far for Ya-Sin, Colts need to address CB in either the draft or free agency. Awuzie is a zone corner, which means he’s not necessarily a fit anymore in Dallas' man cover scheme with Dan Quinn. However, he fits very well in the zone cover scheme former Dallas coach Eberflus runs in Indianapolis. Eberflus’ zone coverage usage this past season was the second-highest in the NFL, behind only Brandon Staley’s Los Angeles Rams, at 76.6%. Awuzie's familiarity with Eberflus and the scheme fit could turn him into a valuable starting CB opposite Ya-Sin. 

Cap Space Remaining: $11,726,653

NFL Draft

Trade: Colts trade #21 to the Bills for #30, #93

Pick 21 value - 800 points 

Pick 30 & 93 Value - 748 points

Round 1 Pick 30: OT Liam Eichenberg Notre Dame

A popular name in Colts mock drafts, Eichenberg comes in the fill the void at LT left by Castonzo. He's not the most athletic tackle, but he is one of the more pro-ready tackles in the draft and should be a solid replacement on the left side of the line. 

Round 2 Pick 54: WR Elijah Moore Ole Miss

Even with Hilton coming back in this mock, Colts need to find their slot WR of the future. Moore is a big-play threat and can thrive in Reich's system. He's near identical to Hilton's size, so he would always be in the slot. If Pittman Jr can take the next step and if Campbell can remain healthy, Moore can become a valuable weapon in the Colts offense. 

Round 3 Pick 93 (VIA BUF): EDGE Payton Turner Houston

Turner checks nearly all the boxes for what Ballard wants in an EDGE. He's versatile, can play inside and out. He gets to the QB with power and has the length to set the edge in the run game. As a younger version of what Autry brings to the front 4, Turner will develop over the next couple seasons and fill Autry's role along the D line. 

Round 4 Pick 128: CB Benjamin St-Juste Minnesota 

Another Balland-esque pick, St-Juste is a tall corner (6'3") with the length (32" arm length) that Ballard desires in his corners.  St-Juste is one of the better tackling corners in the draft, but will naturally struggle in deep coverage. St-Juste will battle it out with Tell for the TJ Carrie role on the defense. 

Round 5 Pick 166: S JaCoby Stevens LSU 

Another popular pick in Colts mock drafts, Stevens is a extremely versatile player that can line up almost anywhere on the field. Colts could use a hybrid player like Stevens to use as a 3rd safety in certain packages. 

Round 6 Pick 201: LB Paddy Fisher Northwestern

Replace one Northwestern LB with another. Fisher is a 2 down linebacker that struggles in pass coverage. He's decent against the run and will play the early downs like Walker did for the Colts. Colts primarily run nickel lineups most of the time, so a premier LB to fill Walker's void is not necessary. 

Round 7 Pick 245: IOL Robert Jones Middle Tennessee 

A developmental guard that adds depth and has the potential to replace Glowinski some day if he progresses. 

I appreciate all the time and hard work behind this....

BUT.....

You lost me when your re-signed four top players to roughly $250 million in contracts, and then said it had ZERO IMPACT on the 2021 salary cap. 

100 percent IMPOSSIBLE!    Sorry. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I appreciate all the time and hard work behind this....

BUT.....

You lost me when your re-signed four top players to roughly $250 million in contracts, and then said it had ZERO IMPACT on the 2021 salary cap. 

100 percent IMPOSSIBLE!    Sorry. 

I thought extensions would not count against the current year's cap. All four of those players are already under contract for 2021. I believe their contracts would kick in when their current contract is up. 

42 minutes ago, Caleb3502 said:

I thought extensions would not count against the current year's cap. All four of those players are already under contract for 2021. I believe their contracts would kick in when their current contract is up. 

You may be right...  but I’ve never seen this happen.   Not in this scale.  So rather than me guessing, why don’t I page @Superman and @w87r and see what they say?

NOTE:  Guys...   please take a look at Caleb’s very interesting mock.  Can the Colts really do what he proposes with the re-signing of our own players?   That’s roughly $250 million in new money and he thinks we can do it with ZERO impact on our 2021 salary cap.  Is this even doable, or is it a pipe dream?   And if you think it’s doable, then why haven’t we done it yet?   Many thanks for your help!   :thmup:

Technically, yes. In practice, highly unlikely.

Edit: I figured some detail would be helpful...

Usually, a player contract includes either a signing bonus (with a cap hit that's evenly amortized over the life of the contract), or a roster bonus (with a cap hit that is limited to only one season. The Colts have been using a Year 1 roster bonus, rather than a signing bonus.

So technically, the Colts could sign Nelson (or anyone else) to an extension in 2021, with no signing bonus, and schedule any roster bonus and increased salary to be paid starting in 2022. That would have no impact on the 2021 cap. But generally, players don't sign new contracts that don't pay them new money at signing.

For example, Grover Stewart's extension came toward the end of the 2020 season. His increased salary and roster bonuses don't take effect until 2021. But the Colts paid him a $5m signing bonus, due upon signing. So even though his 2020 salary didn't increase, his 2020 cap hit did increase, by $1.25m. This made sense for the Colts, as his bonus was now spread out evenly over four years, even though he only signed a three year extension. And it made sense for Stewart, since he was paid an additional $5m in 2020. 

Wow!

Very well done! Only gripe I have is the FA signing of Everett. I feel like Ertz is almost destined to be a Colt. If he gets cut, I think he’ll be cheaper too. 

Id also be wary of how much money we give Awuzie. I really liked him coming out of college but he’s still unproven.

Your mock draft is outstanding though. Love the trade back and the value you got from the picks too.

Archived