-Leads team in receving 
Pittman - 60.0 (NA)
Pascal - 61.0 (73.7)
Johnson - 63.4 (59.8)
Dulin - 65.0 (NA)
Harris - 76.5 (NA)
Fountain - 61.1 (NA)
Campbell - 72.8 (54.7)

This doesn't sync well with the eye test. How the hell are they saying Pittman has been our worst receiver? 

Just now, ScotColt said:

This doesn't sync well with the eye test. How the hell are they saying Pittman has been our worst receiver? 

Did you watch him vs Baltimore or the last TN game? Then add in a few penalties he likely got dinged for. 

All of it is correctable. Pittman is one of our top 2 guys right now no doubt. He just hasn't played a ton this year, and he happened to have 2 bad games lately, and some tough penalties.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Did you watch him vs Baltimore or the last TN game? Then add in a few penalties he likely got dinged for. 

All of it is correctable. Pittman is one of our top 2 guys right now no doubt. He just hasn't played a ton this year, and he happened to have 2 bad games lately, and some tough penalties.

Would never miss a colts game. Yeah he has had a couple bad penalties against him and I think one dropped pass iirc, but other than that I think he has looked good. As you said top 2 receiver in the team, I guess PFF doesn't grade on potential and how he looks on the field so fair enough if that is the grade they've given him based on data alone. 

Just riled me as soon as I saw it :D

12 minutes ago, ScotColt said:

Would never miss a colts game. Yeah he has had a couple bad penalties against him and I think one dropped pass iirc, but other than that I think he has looked good. As you said top 2 receiver in the team, I guess PFF doesn't grade on potential and how he looks on the field so fair enough if that is the grade they've given him based on data alone. 

Just riled me as soon as I saw it :D

IMO, he's obviously one of our best 3 (him, TY, Campbell). He's still a newb, so hard to tell. My gut though says he could be #1, and at least #2. Campbell is a wild card though, so hard to compare him. TY is still capable of being the #1 guy, but the consistency is obviously gone. 

As far as Pittman's grade, the last TN game was brutal for him. Only 2 catches on 9 targets. Some of the throws were off, but it was just a bad game for him. IIRC, he whiffed on a block or two as well. For the year, he's got 3 drops. Not horrible, but not great either. His catchable ball rate is 80% (so 36 of his 45 targets were considered catchable) which means he's missed or dropped 5 balls. Again, not horrible, but not great. So factor in that, some whiffed blocks, penalties, low AVG, low air yards and YAC. 

But like I said, all of those things are correctible, and I'm very confident that rating is just a blip.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

5 minutes ago, ScotColt said:

I don't know exactly how PFF works... but I imagine they assess penalties differently (e.g., a hold early in the game may be counted for less than a hold which stalls a potential game winning drive.... a false start early in the game vs. a false start that basically kills a team's chance to run the clock out on a 3rd down and long late in a game).  Pittman's holding penalty was very dumb (unnecessary as the RB didn't really even need it to get the yards he was going to get) a few weeks ago and last week, granted it was already 3rd and 18, but he jumped and got a false start (rare for a WR) on the drive after we forced Texans to punt and could have potentially ran the clock out.  Not that 3rd and 23 is much better than 3rd and 18, but an offensive penalty like that late in the game kills the clock and while a 3rd and 18 is not likely, a 3rd and 23 is near impossible  to convert.  

I could very well be wrong, but I think PFF takes into account situational statistics and those were both dumb/rookie fouls for Pittman to commit.  Another thing, I don't think it was on Pittman as much as it was on Rivers but they may have counted two drops last game on balls where Rivers through it behind him and he got his hands on the ball but didn't pull it in.

Pittman has a small sample size, so even 4-6 plays may impact his grade moreso than somebody who has played more snaps.  I am a big Pittman fan and think he's got a pretty high ceiling.  Same thing as taking an exam with 20 questions vs. 100 questions -- you screw up 4-6 times in a 20 question exam and you're at a 70-80% (low B - high D/low C grade) vs. you screw up 4-6 times on 100 questions and you're at a 94-96% average.  My initial thought is his grade is low because his sample size is low and he has made a few very boneheaded mistakes (which I think he'll learn from) and there are several plays where I could see PFF calling drops (in reality, they were poorly thrown balls by Rivers that Pittman got his hands on -- i.e.., if Pittman were to run through his route instead of reach back and touch the ball, would PFF call that a bad throw by Rivers instead of a drop by Pittman?).

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Pretty sure they impact PFF. Great point CBE.

I don't think Walker will be expensive. Could be wrong of course, but I just don't see him asking for a bunch, and I don't see him being in high demand. If I had to guess, I'd say Ballard encourages him to test the market for offers, but I think he ends up back with us. IMO, he knows he's in good situation. I think earlier this year, things might of been different with Oke eating in his snaps. Had Oke played better, than I would think Ballard would let him walk. That didn't happen though, and Oke struggled. So I think perhaps we realized Walker isn't an easy gap to fill. Oke wasn't great vs the run in college either, so not surprised. It'll be interesting. All I know is Oke is not the answer, and is not a 3 down ILB. 

Speed does intrigue me. Liked the pick, and liked it a bit more than the Oke pick (value wise). The fact we haven't seen him much gives room for pause though. Raw kid, so not surprising we haven't seen him much, but thought we'd at least seen him over Adams and Zaire. I wouldn't be surprised if he does, or doesn't develop. 

I'm always a bit weary of the "elite" tag, but at minimum, Leonard is very very good. Folks calling him average are silly. He has some small holes in his games at times, but to say he's average is pretty funny.

On blitzing, Last year he 2 sacks in 34 blitzes, in 10 games. Last year, 5 sacks on 52 blitzes in 13 games.

So 3.4 blitzes per game vs 4.0 bpg last year. If he had just one more sack, he'd be close to his sacks per blitz averge.

Yes, I agree, he just isn't blitzing as much which probably hurts his sack numbers.  I don't always think numbers/stats are the best thing to gauge, however.  For example, Buckner is going (more likely than not) to have less sacks this year than last two years... but he's providing such a critical piece that this D was missing in terms of hitting/pressuring the opposing QB from the interior of the DL as opposed to getting big sack numbers.  For the common pro-bowl voter (potentially all pro voter), you judge a lineman by sacks.. based on those numbers alone, it seems like Buckner has digressed from what his sack numbers were in SF.... based on his importance to this team, he's probably as much or more valuable than he was previously.  

I watched Aaron Rodgers on Pat McAfee after he played the Colts.  Leonard didn't put up great numbers in the game, but Rodgers highlighted that there was one specific no-look throw he made and was eyeing Darius up the whole time.  Said something about how rangy and how talented Darius is that he is always in the back of a QBs mind making simple short-medium throws.  It could very well be that his INT numbers are down simply because QBs are aware of where Maniac is on the field and totally avoiding him.... that doesn't really mean he's worse at intercepting balls, it could just mean he's isolating where he is at and teams are scheming against him, specifically, which in and of itself may have just as much or a bigger impact than if he had 7 interceptions and 150 tackles (in other words, by him having decreased stats in the measurables that NFL.com gives you to vote for pro-bowlers, he may be playing so well that he's cutting off a portion of the field to let the other 10 guys perform better).   

Overall, those numbers show an overall regression by this team. If I didn't know the record, I would think 6-6, 5-7. I don't understand the numbers though. How can Q be second and third best guard in the pass and run block catagory and have such a low number? Are all guards that bad this year? Strange. 

Archived