Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Significant NFL/NFLPA rules on 16 player Practice Squad

chad72

If a player does not have to go through waivers to return to the PS during the season, that is like an automatic roster size expansion, IMO. It doesn't affect the first 53 (or 55) that are formed and the original practice squads that are formed but as the season starts and goes, this will be significant, now that the PS is 16 players and 4 can be protected.

The way I interpret this post is that players can be claimed by other teams at cut down day as the roster is set and the PS is formed.  After that any player sent to the practice squad can be one of the four protected.  So it would make sense to keep Eason on the roster initially and move him to the practice squad later if that is the goal. 

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The way I interpret this post is that players can be claimed by other teams at cut down day as the roster is set and the PS is formed.  After that any player sent to the practice squad can be one of the four protected.  So it would make sense to keep Eason on the roster initially and move him to the practice squad later if that is the goal. 

That was the exact same thing I thought of when I read this, especially with all the recent discussion going on about Eason!!

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

If a player does not have to go through waivers to return to the PS during the season, that is like an automatic roster size expansion, IMO. It doesn't affect the first 53 (or 55) that are formed and the original practice squads that are formed but as the season starts and goes, this will be significant, now that the PS is 16 players and 4 can be protected.

They have to clear waivers first to make it to the practice squad.

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

They have to clear waivers first to make it to the practice squad.

That is why I said:

It doesn't affect the first 53 (or 55) that are formed and the original practice squads that are formed 

I'd say this makes it more likely that Kelly is the one stashed on one of the PS protected slots.... We already know there is little to no interest in him league wide, at least likely less than another team would have In a fourth round pick with physical potential from the current draft.... You have to think some team will keep an extra QB over normal years, and for with a starter and solid backup, a solid rookie prospect to develop in the third slot for little to no investment is a lot more tempting than a somewhat known Kelly

3 hours ago, ColtJax said:

But, to GET TO the practice squad the player has to be waived. So either way, if Eason is going to be placed on the PS he's going to have to be waived..

He can be on the roster with 3 QBs with CK on the PS, who teams have shown they won't touch based on history. We start with 3 QBs with Eason on the roster. 

Then, once the first Covid positive happens, Eason can be stashed as a response to that on the PS to bring someone else to the roster, only if necessary. That situation is when he is exempt from having to go through waivers, once the season starts, which is my understanding. Anyone moved to the PS to free roster space while bringing someone from the PS to the roster in response to a Covid positive is who is exempt from waivers. Then, you change the 4 protected ones for the PS dynamically. 

All teams will have that luxury, so it is not going to be as troublesome as we think it is, to keep the ones we want to keep. 

13 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I'd say this makes it more likely that Kelly is the one stashed on one of the PS protected slots.... We already know there is little to no interest in him league wide, at least likely less than another team would have In a fourth round pick with physical potential from the current draft.... You have to think some team will keep an extra QB over normal years, and for with a starter and solid backup, a solid rookie prospect to develop in the third slot for little to no investment is a lot more tempting than a somewhat known Kelly

I agree 100%

3 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

This. . . 

I can't guarantee that there won't be interest in Chad Kelly but we know that if Eaton was waived he would be taken.

Odds are I would say that you could stash Chad Kelly on the PS before teams start losing QB's to injury and then protect him weekly.  

Archived