Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's Final 2020 Colt Mock

Don’t feel too confident this year.  There seems to be a lot of different ways we could play this draft, and I haven’t developed as strong of convictions as usual.  But the two areas I’m most worried about are 1) Receiving talent and 2) OL depth.  I’m not a fan of the QBs that will be available to us, with the exception of Anthony Gordon.  But I don’t think I’d be willing to take that shot in the 3rd, and I’m not sure about the 4th.  So, I just look for some pretty wide-spread talent infusion in this draft:

Trade: Ballard (always) wants more draft picks, and the WR I’d want at 34 will not be there (Mims).  The trade chart works out that a trade down with Dallas will net us #51 and #82.  I think we might be able to do a little better than that on draft day, but I’ll stick with the trade value chart for my mock.

2 (34) Traded to Dallas for #51 and #81

2 (44) Michael Pittman, WR, USC.  Rivers had this type of big WR with the Chargers, and it worked out for him.  Reich and Siriani want to be multiple, and we’re still lacking the big, strong WR.  Just two of the reasons to believe Pittman is the right fit.

2 (51) (From Dallas) Robert Hunt, OG, Louisiana – LaFayette.  We have very little OL depth.  Initially, I was keen on Wanogho to be a LT successor, but then we lost 4-position back-up Haeg, resigned Clark, and now we have NO interior depth.  Plus, Wanogho has had a disastrous pre-draft process – injury concerns and he’s been unable to prove his athleticism in any way.  We might be a year or two early on drafting a LT successor anyway, as Castonzo sounds like he’ll be in Indy playing at a high level for two more years.  So, it was down between Hunt and Matt Hennessy, Center, out of Temple.  Kelly is the most likely OL to go down in any given year (usually good for two or three missed games per year).  Tough call - Ballard should love both.  In the end, I went with the better upside – Hunt could be a stud.

3 (75) Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue.  We get our move TE.  Pretty good physical skills.  7.25 3-cone, 4.28 short shuttle, 33.5” vertical.  All pretty good figures.  And he was very productive as a receiver this past year.

3 (81) (from Dallas) Hakeem Adeniji, OT, Kansas.  Not a Clark fan, so I draft a good swing tackle.  Some project him as an OG.  So, he could eventually give us 4-position depth.  33 ¾”arms, 82 3/8” wingspan, 34” vertical, 26 bench reps – pretty good basket of skills, though he only ran a 5.17 forty at 302 lbs.  He’s got a good story – originally committed to the Air Force Academy, but failed to receive a medical waiver to attend for his Cashew allergy very late in the process.  (I’m serious – denied entry into a service academy due to a cashew allergy!)  So, he showed up at Kansas after missing the entire summer (most recruits have that time to get acclimated), but he still started from Day 1.  Also, ya don’t get accepted into the Air Force Academy without great character.  He’s a real steady player with no injury past that has the possibility of becoming a good starter someday.

4 (122) Luq Barcoo, CB, San Diego St.  A recent addition to my draft thoughts after reading about him on StampedeBlue.  We seem to have enough at CB – Ya-Sin was playing great by the end of last season, Rhodes is (usually) a stud, so is Kenny Moore, Tell had a surprising rookie year, we signed Carrie, and Wilson is still hanging around for now.  However, the more I think about it, the next year will be a drastically different thing: Rhodes is almost certainly a one-year hired gun, Wilson will definitely be gone, and Carrie really isn’t good.  So, we’d be staring at Tell being the only real possible replacement for Rhodes on the roster.  Enter Barcoo.  9 int and 16 total PD last year.  Ran a 4.43 forty and jumped a 41” vertical at his “Pro Day”, as it were.  I’d feel better bringing back Tell and Barcoo to try and fill Rhodes’ spot after this year.  Did I mention he had nine INTs?

5 (160) McTelvin Agim, DT, Arkasas.  Similar positional need to CB.  Autry seems to be being sunset, Sheldon Day was only signed to a one-year contract, Grover Stewart’s in the last year of his rookie contract, Tyquan has been a bust.  We could use something for certain going into 2021.  Agim plays like a 3-tech, but he’s 6’2.5”, 309, ran a 4.98 forty, and has 33.5” arms.  I think he could be a versatile guy that can play 3T or NT in the future.

6 (193) Daniel Thomas, S, Auburn.  Love the Hooker, Willis, Odum triumvirate.  But we need something else for depth.  Thomas could back up either position, much like Odum.

6 (197) Mike Danna, DE, Michigan.  I like the idea of drafting a DE earlier than this, but I don’t like the ends in this class.  I’d consider it as early as Round 2 in order to get a good rotation going (I’m a fan of both Turay and Banagou), but the possibilities in the early parts of the draft aren’t really good system fits IMO.  I feel good enough about the top three options at DE to allow Muhammed, Gerry Green, and Danna compete for the bottom part of the depth chart.  This could still be a high draft pick next year after Houston is gone.

3 hours ago, Archer said:

Don’t feel too confident this year.  There seems to be a lot of different ways we could play this draft, and I haven’t developed as strong of convictions as usual.  But the two areas I’m most worried about are 1) Receiving talent and 2) OL depth.  I’m not a fan of the QBs that will be available to us, with the exception of Anthony Gordon.  But I don’t think I’d be willing to take that shot in the 3rd, and I’m not sure about the 4th.  So, I just look for some pretty wide-spread talent infusion in this draft:

Trade: Ballard (always) wants more draft picks, and the WR I’d want at 34 will not be there (Mims).  The trade chart works out that a trade down with Dallas will net us #51 and #82.  I think we might be able to do a little better than that on draft day, but I’ll stick with the trade value chart for my mock.

2 (34) Traded to Dallas for #51 and #81

2 (44) Michael Pittman, WR, USC.  Rivers had this type of big WR with the Chargers, and it worked out for him.  Reich and Siriani want to be multiple, and we’re still lacking the big, strong WR.  Just two of the reasons to believe Pittman is the right fit.

2 (51) (From Dallas) Robert Hunt, OG, Louisiana – LaFayette.  We have very little OL depth.  Initially, I was keen on Wanogho to be a LT successor, but then we lost 4-position back-up Haeg, resigned Clark, and now we have NO interior depth.  Plus, Wanogho has had a disastrous pre-draft process – injury concerns and he’s been unable to prove his athleticism in any way.  We might be a year or two early on drafting a LT successor anyway, as Castonzo sounds like he’ll be in Indy playing at a high level for two more years.  So, it was down between Hunt and Matt Hennessy, Center, out of Temple.  Kelly is the most likely OL to go down in any given year (usually good for two or three missed games per year).  Tough call - Ballard should love both.  In the end, I went with the better upside – Hunt could be a stud.

3 (75) Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue.  We get our move TE.  Pretty good physical skills.  7.25 3-cone, 4.28 short shuttle, 33.5” vertical.  All pretty good figures.  And he was very productive as a receiver this past year.

3 (81) (from Dallas) Hakeem Adeniji, OT, Kansas.  Not a Clark fan, so I draft a good swing tackle.  Some project him as an OG.  So, he could eventually give us 4-position depth.  33 ¾”arms, 82 3/8” wingspan, 34” vertical, 26 bench reps – pretty good basket of skills, though he only ran a 5.17 forty at 302 lbs.  He’s got a good story – originally committed to the Air Force Academy, but failed to receive a medical waiver to attend for his Cashew allergy very late in the process.  (I’m serious – denied entry into a service academy due to a cashew allergy!)  So, he showed up at Kansas after missing the entire summer (most recruits have that time to get acclimated), but he still started from Day 1.  Also, ya don’t get accepted into the Air Force Academy without great character.  He’s a real steady player with no injury past that has the possibility of becoming a good starter someday.

4 (122) Luq Barcoo, CB, San Diego St.  A recent addition to my draft thoughts after reading about him on StampedeBlue.  We seem to have enough at CB – Ya-Sin was playing great by the end of last season, Rhodes is (usually) a stud, so is Kenny Moore, Tell had a surprising rookie year, we signed Carrie, and Wilson is still hanging around for now.  However, the more I think about it, the next year will be a drastically different thing: Rhodes is almost certainly a one-year hired gun, Wilson will definitely be gone, and Carrie really isn’t good.  So, we’d be staring at Tell being the only real possible replacement for Rhodes on the roster.  Enter Barcoo.  9 int and 16 total PD last year.  Ran a 4.43 forty and jumped a 41” vertical at his “Pro Day”, as it were.  I’d feel better bringing back Tell and Barcoo to try and fill Rhodes’ spot after this year.  Did I mention he had nine INTs?

5 (160) McTelvin Agim, DT, Arkasas.  Similar positional need to CB.  Autry seems to be being sunset, Sheldon Day was only signed to a one-year contract, Grover Stewart’s in the last year of his rookie contract, Tyquan has been a bust.  We could use something for certain going into 2021.  Agim plays like a 3-tech, but he’s 6’2.5”, 309, ran a 4.98 forty, and has 33.5” arms.  I think he could be a versatile guy that can play 3T or NT in the future.

6 (193) Daniel Thomas, S, Auburn.  Love the Hooker, Willis, Odum triumvirate.  But we need something else for depth.  Thomas could back up either position, much like Odum.

6 (197) Mike Danna, DE, Michigan.  I like the idea of drafting a DE earlier than this, but I don’t like the ends in this class.  I’d consider it as early as Round 2 in order to get a good rotation going (I’m a fan of both Turay and Banagou), but the possibilities in the early parts of the draft aren’t really good system fits IMO.  I feel good enough about the top three options at DE to allow Muhammed, Gerry Green, and Danna compete for the bottom part of the depth chart.  This could still be a high draft pick next year after Houston is gone.

If I see this correctly,  you're using 2nd and 3rd round picks, who by design, will not start this year and will likely only play special teams their first year.

Really?

Sorry,  not for me.

I think Ben Bredeson would be good Depth, he was a team captain played 4 years at Michigan and is projected to be selected day 3. If we were to select an LT to develop I’d go with Ben Bartch he’s another Team Captain and did good at the senior Bowl. Which we all know Ballard likes players that do well there. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/ben-bredeson/cTxPUTk0o4

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ben-bartch?id=32194241-5272-0314-6867-3573699ef57d

Archived