Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Myth of Separation and Colts Pass Catchers

EastStreet

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is what some overlook. TY Hilton is good, not very good or great but he is good and a respectable #1. Jack Doyle is above average and a nice security blanket. Outside of Indiana residents, I bet most people couldn't even name any other pass catcher we have. Probably Ebron but he is leaving so mentioning him is a moot point.

Yet most of the same guys were top 10 in pasing O in 2018. 

To your point though, most people can't name most teams' #2 and #3 WRs... 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Edelman doesn't get elite separation, but has does get elite throws (placement). Brady is one of the best at anticipating and throwing guys open. 

Yes he does. He’s the most open WR I have ever seen. It’s the system not Edelman because many before him got separation too.

Just now, LockeDown said:

Yes he does. He’s the most open WR I have ever seen. It’s the system not Edelman because many before him got separation too.

His sep stat was like 1.6ish. That's good, not great. Probably ranks 30ish. And honestly you should expect better separation from a traditional slot WR given their going up against LBs a lot in NE's system. But yes, I agree it's partly system. But it's also position and Brady 

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

You could say that about Tyreek Hill getting the ball with nobody around him because the play broke down. 10 yard separation when the ball arrived.

What you need is the half step openness at the proper time in the pattern, that's not the same thing as when the ball arrives.

Common sense tells me that if 10 yards of separation was typical, the average yards of separation would not be about a yard and a half or less. You're cherry picking a situation and pretending like it happens all the time to prove your point. #fail The proper time to be open is when the ball arrives. Any earlier or any later just doesn't matter.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fahlman said:

The proper time to be open is when the ball arrives. Any earlier or any later just doesn't matter.

i remember ty was talking about that too, WRs like hill and hilton only really care about being open when its their turn in the QBs read.

doesn't help if they are open when the qb is looking elsewhere, and they are not possession receivers they play down the field