Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

News On Tamme And Wheeler

Andy

Rob Gronkowski was a 2nd round pick, Fred Davis was a 2nd round pick, Kellen Winslow was picked 6th overall, Vernon Davis was the 7th OVERALL pick.

Doesn't matter about their position, if they're good enough and it fills a need, draft them. Teams could see him as a first rounder but because he's a tight end you wouldn't pick him at #34?

heck, Janikowski was a 17th overall pick for God's sake.

Jimmy Graham was a third rounder, Jermichael Finley was a third rounder, and on and on. Like you say, we can find a tight end without falling in love with a guy high in the second round. I would prefer to keep Tamme on a sensible deal and draft another guy. Then open the season with three tight ends (including Eldridge) and a fullback. And there will be some camp fodder that we sign after the draft, and maybe we'll find a rotational guy in there.

I think it comes down to money here. The new management doesn't seem to be a fan of overpaying players like the last management. I would like to keep both players. Although Wheeler hasn't been amazing, he has progressed every year, not every player comes out of the draft as a league leader. Also he might actually be better in a 3-4 than Cover 2. Considering he is good against the pass and is a good blitzer makes me think he could. Another good thing about the 3-4 is if his weakness is run he has another LB nearby to help him out. Tamme would also be nice to keep around, although I could understand going for a better blocking TE. Sure, this team could draft another TE, but the last thing this team really needs is more positions to draft.

Wheeler would be a nice linebacker in any 3-4 defense, but only at the right price. And if we're moving Mathis and maybe Freeney to OLB, and we have Hughes still on the roster to play that position as well, I think the need to spend any considerable amount of money on another OLB is minimal. Wheeler is very replaceable. If he's still available after the draft, he gets a camp invite on a non-guaranteed contract.

It looks like we have let all our TEs go, all 3 of them. If you log into ESPN and check the Free Agency Tracker you can sort out all the people available by position, team they are with currently, or team that was signed to. There are a LOT of TEs out there in free agency. Haven't checked the full list and don't recognize a lot of the names, but there are people available or pick one up in the draft. Would still prefer to have Tamme back, keeping fingers crossed.