Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Trade Down

I see what a lot of the posters are saying in this thread and agree on multiple fronts. I do think that this draft is one where we need to come out with a young QB to groom. To basically take advantage that most likely Jacoby will be starting in 2020 and that that player can learn what it takes to be in the NFL. But what I don't get is, if Ballard really likes his QB, why he has to take him at 13 (unless its someone like Tua/Herbert/Love). If its someone like Fromm/Eason/Gordon, don't you think he can choose to be a little greedy and try to get a blue chip prospect along with his future QB? Look at Russel Wilson, what if the Seahawks knew that was their guy they wanted when the draft rolled around. They could have taken him round 1 and lost out on Bruce Irvin or round 2 and lost out on Bobby Wagner. Could they definitely lost out on him, dang straight they could have. But they rolled the dice, felt how the draft was, and knew what luck they could push until they couldn't wait anymore.

• Like 1

Just now, harrisoncolts88 said:

I see what a lot of the posters are saying in this thread and agree on multiple fronts. I do think that this draft is one where we need to come out with a young QB to groom. To basically take advantage that most likely Jacoby will be starting in 2020 and that that player can learn what it takes to be in the NFL. But what I don't get is, if Ballard really likes his QB, why he has to take him at 13 (unless its someone like Tua/Herbert/Love). If its someone like Fromm/Eason/Gordon, don't you think he can choose to be a little greedy and try to get a blue chip prospect along with his future QB? Look at Russell Wilson, what if the Seahawks knew that was their guy they wanted when the draft rolled around. They could have taken him round 1 and lost out on Bruce Irvin or round 2 and lost out on Bobby Wagner. Could they definitely lost out on him, dang straight they could have. But they rolled the dice, felt how the draft was, and knew what luck they could push until they couldn't wait anymore.

10 minutes ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

I see what a lot of the posters are saying in this thread and agree on multiple fronts. I do think that this draft is one where we need to come out with a young QB to groom. To basically take advantage that most likely Jacoby will be starting in 2020 and that that player can learn what it takes to be in the NFL. But what I don't get is, if Ballard really likes his QB, why he has to take him at 13 (unless its someone like Tua/Herbert/Love). If its someone like Fromm/Eason/Gordon, don't you think he can choose to be a little greedy and try to get a blue chip prospect along with his future QB? Look at Russel Wilson, what if the Seahawks knew that was their guy they wanted when the draft rolled around. They could have taken him round 1 and lost out on Bruce Irvin or round 2 and lost out on Bobby Wagner. Could they definitely lost out on him, dang straight they could have. But they rolled the dice, felt how the draft was, and knew what luck they could push until they couldn't wait anymore.

Honestly,  I think the Colts need 2 game changing DT's more than they need a qb.  They need one for sure and I am hoping they get one at #13.  I am very interested to see how Fromm looks at the combine and pro days. Seems the only big question is his  mark is arm strength.

• Like 1

My theory even before Luck decided to retire was we would take a QB in this draft to be the future, luck retired we go stuck with Brissett and it set us back a few years. We could win with a ok Defense because of Luck's will to win and his game management. But now, we have to build a defense that can be a force. If The 2 big D tackles are gone before 13, we need to trade down and get more draft capital. After Burrows, the QB's make me uneasy. Unless we pick up Fromm in the 3rd round I would stay away from the QB's...

My trade down scenario would be with Dolphins since they have several picks..

Colts 

Rd1 -13... 1150pts
Rd4 -112.. 70pts
Rd6 -173.. 22.2pts
*1242.2 total 
 Dolphins
Rd1 -18.. 900
Rd2 -56.. 340
*1240 total

We trade down 5 spots in Rd 1 and throw in a 4th & 6th for their Rd 1 and Rd2 where there are better players to be had.

We would have 18, 34, 44, 56.

This draft has some positions that are deep with talent. Some guys that should be going late 1st will be there at 34 and some guys that should be high 2nd will be there at 56. Besides, #56 has been pretty good for the Colts, Lol

I see no reason for the Colts to trade away their draft spot this year in Round 1.  Also not into the immediate need for a Round 1 sure-fire QB let alone targeting one at all this year within the first three rounds. 

Ideally would like to lock down another area of need but our #1 priority has now shifted with Costanzo contemplating retirement.  We now need a long-term replacement along our OL and see us selecting LT Josh Jones out of Houston. 

Rounds 2 and 3 we have to be thinking about upgrading our defense and again not about QB.   With last year's Redskins trade at the top of Round 2 we should be able to target DT Gallimore than would look for CB Bryce Hall or DE Bradlee Anae.

By Round 3 am hoping some of scouting late round sleeper picks (Rounds 5-7) start climbing up the boards so am curious where players like ILB Logan Wilson or DE Joe Gaziano end up.  The way our Colts have selected later designated round players early in Round 2 wouldn't be surprised to see either Wilson or Gaziano make a bigger jump. 

Realize this might not be the ideal thread but we did like Okereke and Walker needs to go take a long walk.  We all know the Colts are focused on speed and creating turnovers.  Wilson is my ideal replacement that has proven hands for INTs, forcing fumbles and has had sacks each year.  Gaziano also has a history of creating sacks, FFs and defending passes.  Lately it seems almost every team deals with OL woes or in dire need of LBs.  Okereke and Wilson would make a great 1-2 punch in the middle with Leonard doing what he does best.  Josh Jones playing next to Nelson would surely learn to elevate his game early on.  As far as the team needing a QB I would look towards Saint's Teddy Bridgewater since the Saints have already said publicly that Taysom Hill is their future.  Bridgewater had a bad history of throwing INTs but looks like playing on the same team and learning from GOAT Drew Brees has helped him grow.