Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Comp Picks....

John Dee

What a comp pick is that they are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. They only award 32 of them from Rounds 3 to 7. If we lose the same amount of players, but lose a quality player like Garcon, then we get a 7th round pick. The more picks we lose, the better the draft pick. I don't know how many players we lost last year, but I'm pretty sure it was more lost than gained, so we should be getting some comp picks. Johnson and Session are considered quality picks and if we lost more, it means we should be getting a mid round pick.

It's very confusing, but you'll get it after a while. Search it up online if you want to know more, or you can just send me a PM.

^ That.

I don't know if Andy made it clear, but the picks are given based on an overall basis of quality and quantity of players lost vs. acquired. Losing Pierre and signing three league minimum scrubs won't effect the pick. Signing LaRon Landry might.

Also, each free agent loss that qualifies is considered for their own pick. So there is not one additional pick for the lot lost. Charlie Johnson will be one pick, Clint Session will be one pick, etc.

If the 32 picks aren't distributed entirely, the left over will be thrown onto the back end of the 7th round, in normal draft order. So the Colts are highly likely to get an extra pick in the 7th if 32 comp. picks aren't given.

This kind of explains it a bit.

What a comp pick is that they are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. They only award 32 of them from Rounds 3 to 7. If we lose the same amount of players, but lose a quality player like Garcon, then we get a 7th round pick. The more picks we lose, the better the draft pick. I don't know how many players we lost last year, but I'm pretty sure it was more lost than gained, so we should be getting some comp picks. Johnson and Session are considered quality picks and if we lost more, it means we should be getting a mid round pick.

It's very confusing, but you'll get it after a while. Search it up online if you want to know more, or you can just send me a PM.

thank you A...

They dont reveal the secret formula for how comp picks are giving, but here are a few things that people say they look at.

Salary with first team

Salary with team that signed the FA

how many starts the player made with first team

number of pro bowls

these are only a few items i know they look at to decide what round the comp pick is we get.

The Texans will get a 3ed for losing Williams that's for sure. Other than that? Not many high picks. I'll bet the Colts end up with at least 2 maybe 3 extra picks at the end of the 7th round this year. They usually give out those extra picks to the bottom teams, which is what we were last year.