Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's 1st 2020 mock off-season

Alright, my main observations from the season are this: 1) We’ve won with the OL mainly, and yet our OL depth is disturbingly poor right now.  I really don’t want to see Andrews or LeRaven in there.  I suspect that once we get some OL injuries, we’re gonna have a really hard time winning.  2) When the run defense struggled, Ballard started fiddling with the DTs.  Ward brought nothing different than Autry or Lewis, and he was replaced by someone who was a little more solid (but still quick).  So, I’m guessing that we’ll try to find a better DT early in the draft of a more appropriate size and shape to help against the run.  3) No one is stepping up at WR now that Funchess is out.  Cain has been invisible, and Parris hasn’t taken on a big load.  Plus, Ebron is slumping, having dropped at least three in Week 4.  Still, we have a lot of young WRs and TEs that we’re developing, and drafting more young-uns to try to fix the problem doesn’t seem right.  I’m gonna guess we give Funchess a Mulligan (or sign a different veteran WR), resign Doyle and Cox, let Ebron walk, and take next year to see what Campbell, Fountain, Cain, Hentges, and Dulin can become.  4) Hooker gets hurt a lot, and this year we feel that moving Willis to FS and starting Geathers at SS is the best option we have with Hooker out.  Hasn’t been working too well on 3rd down.  I’d hoped that Odum could be the FS depth, but Ballard doesn’t think so.  We need a better back-up FS.

So, my off-season goes like this:

Re-Sign: Doyle, Cox, Haeg, Funchess, Pascal

Let Walk: Ebron, Geathers, Sheard, Rogers, Clark, Andrews

Draft:

1) Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa.  Concerned about both OL depth and LT succession, this is a perfect solution.  He plays RT, but has been flopping to LT for some drives this year and is looking elite there too.  Some scouts point to additional work he needs in pass pro, but he’s beyond studly as a run blocker.  I see him starting at RT, us moving Smith in to RG, and Glowinski (the weak link so far this year) moving to the prime interior back-up role.  Then, three years from now (or whenever Castonzo retires), Wirfs goes over to LT.

2) Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida St.  Originally had Javon Kinlaw from S. Carolina here, but he’s an up-the-field disrupter much the same as Autry and Lewis.  Marvin has the reputation of being a great pass-rusher, but just “good” against the run.  Still, he’s 6’5, 311, and “good” is an upgrade from our 290 lb. DTs.

2) Shaun Wade, DB, Ohio St.  He’s played way more CB than S, but he’s a good versatile option to getting a better back-up FS.  He’s a good tackler, he has ball skills, and he has experience in all kinds of coverage.  At 6’1, 194, he could have a future at CB if not needed at Safety.

3) Gage Cervenka, OL, Clemson.  Did I mention I was concerned about OL depth?  Cervenka flopped from the DL to the OL in 2017, became a starter the next year, and now he’s a stud.  He was a 4-time state champion wrestler in HS (wow), so he understands leverage, technique, hard work, and conditioning.  He’s also extremely strong (43 reps, 680-lb squat, etc.) and quick (4.41 short shuttle).  He has played C and OG.  A little of a projection, but I want someone with these intangibles and this skill set developing as the back-up center.

4) Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir Ryne.  He has the attention of scouts, as he’s made some freak lists.  6’2, 215, supposedly runs a 4.41 forty, 40” vertical, 6.70 3-cone, etc.  He’s always around the ball (at a low level of competition), and is a fantastic punt-returner. 

5) Bryce Sterk, DE, Montana St.  Interesting story – wasn’t playing at U-Dub, so he followed his position coach when he became the head coach at Montana St.  In four games this year: 29 tackles, 8.5 sacks, and 3 other TFLs.  6’5, 260, he seems to win with strength and motor.  Having been to his home town, he’s probably a simple, hard-working bumpkin, which could be a welcome addition to the locker room.

6) Michael Ojemudia, CB, Iowa.  Just keeping the CBs coming.  I don’t have much of a guess about the future of Quincy or Tell, and Desir is getting up there in years.

6) Sean McKean, TE, Michigan.  The TE room is filled with well-rounded players – this is a shot at more of a move guy for depth.

7) Dominik Eberle, K, Utah St.  Just a guess (sniff) that Vini will retire…

Way too many picks in rounds 1-3 for depth positions. No reason to take 2 OLs in the first 3 rounds. Now, we need starter caliber positions at DT and WR. You need instant starters there.

IMO, the following is needed:

1. DT or WR (big WR ala Mike Evans)

2. BPA among DT, WR, or OT

2. BPA among DT, WR, or OT

3. BPA available, and onward.

4. BPA available, and onward.

If, a potential starting LT is there, I’d have zero issues selecting one with the top pick. 

I’d definitely consider a QB with top selectional, but definitely draft a developmental type somewhere in the following rounds if not in Rd #1. 

Utilize the rest of the draft to add to the defense and maybe a RB. 

Keeping my eye on Y. Gross-Matos DE from Penn St.  Has better size than the current DE,s on Colts roster. 

• Like 1

I think you certainly have to consider a QB with that first round selection.  I am not seeing Brissett as a long term solution.  

Also you are spending a lot of high picks on depth when you can draft starters in that area.  

I sort of like the idea of drafting a tackle and moving Smith inside.  But I think we should consider a QB in the first.  

I also like the idea of drafting a DT.  

Other places we could consider drafting.

RB - We're going to be a running team we need to have more of a 1 - 2 punch than Mack.  Not unhappy with Mack at all but I feel like we rely on him too much.  

WR - If Funchess isn't the guy than we are going to need another one because TY Hilton is aging.  

TE - If you are not re-signing Ebron we should draft another TE.  Although at this point I would be happy with bringing back Ebron.