• Day 1 Starter, solid season
    • Will start at some point in the first half of the season
    • Will start at some point in the second half of the season
    • Will be a quality back up and/or scheme/situational player
    • Gets playing time, but nothing special
    • Makes the 53, but struggles to dress or get playing time
    • Makes the practice squad
    • Cut/Waived
  2. 2. How do feel about his draft position (34th) now that you've had a chance to get to know Rock

• Great value at 34
    • He went about where he should have
    • Poor value, he would have been available for a later pick
  3. 3. How many INTs will Rock have

NFL.com's Profile

Draft Grade: 5.87 CHANCE TO BECOME NFL STARTER

Draft Projection: 1-2 Round

Actual Draft Selection: 34th (2/2)

College: Temple (*Transfer from Presb College)

Position: CB

Height: 6-0

Weight: 192

40 Time: 4.51

BIO:

Abdurrahman "Rock" Ya-Sin was not highly regarded coming out of Southwest DeKalb High School in Decatur, Georgia. The former two-time All-Region pick in football and two-time state champion wrestler signed with FCS program Presbyterian College, where he played in 11 games as a true freshman (two starts, 15 tackles, two pass breakups). Ya-Sin started 11 games his sophomore campaign (31 tackles, two for loss, nine pass breakups) and then became a first-team All-Big South performer in 2017, making 45 tackles, intercepting five passes, and breaking up eight others in 11 starts. He transferred to Temple as a graduate student for the 2018 season and immediately showed he had the talent to excel at the FBS level. Ya-Sin was a first-team All-American Athletic Conference selection as a senior, leading the Owls with 12 pass breakups to go along with 47 tackles, two for loss, and two interceptions. He did not play in Temple's bowl game, presumably to prepare for the NFL Draft.

Overview:

Body-beautiful cornerback with good size and potential, but just one year of FBS football experience. Ya-Sin needs technique work across the board, but the ability to handle the duties of the position are all in place and waiting to be unlocked. He has the strength, toughness and feet to go from shadowing presence to a more disruptive one as a press-man corner. His lack of technique allows for some pitch-and-catch moments in coverage, but he has moldable traits to become a future starter with more experience and coaching.

Strengths:

Really long with carved up physique

Coaches loved him after just a couple months in program

Given single-digit number representing nine toughest players

Light in his backpedal

Possesses foot quickness for extended mirroring of release

Has potential for extended mirroring

Upper body strength to improve pop in his jam

Has traits for press-man or off-man

Decent closing burst to attack throws

Plays into catch-point with aggressive hands

Has ability to stick and drive from bail coverage

Willing in run support

Impressive upside with more technique work

Weaknesses:

Not as disruptive from press as he could be

Needs more technique work

Turned around due to early hip declarations from press

Struggles to maintain proper leverage

False steps at top of his drop

Slight delay in transitions from off-man

Long speed is just average

Gets climbed and stacked at times

Inconsistent to stay in phase against verticals

Tendency to grab and face-guard rather than turn and locate

Average field awareness

Requires additional tackling technique

Sources Tell US:

"Once he adds some coaching and technique to his physical tools, he's got a chance to take a big leap. We love guys that look like him. That's what you want your GM to draft." -- Secondary coach with AFC team

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I went day 1 starter, solid season. He went where he should've. 3 Int's.

I went the same except I think he'll take a few games to start. I think he'll get time early as a backup, and look so good they'll start him by game 5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I went day 1 starter, solid season. He went where he should've. 3 Int's.

I went the same except I said 4 INT's. He had a good eye for the football in OTA's, getting an INT in nearly every practice. I believe that will translate in the NFL year one. IMO, he starts over Quincy Wilson (opposite Desir) to begin the year.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I went the same except I said 4 INT's. He had a good eye for the football in OTA's, getting an INT in nearly every practice. I believe that will translate in the NFL year one. IMO, he starts over Quincy Wilson (opposite Desir) to begin the year.

I wonder if that's a product of the QB he was facing. Can't wait to see how he looks against Luck and some of the tier one WR/TEs. I think he could be special down the road.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

How is he going to be a day one starter when Desir and Moore are the two outside starters. Now we will see if he is able to take over Wilson’s spot when Moore is in the slot. I don’t think he will this year. Maybe in the future. I do think he will get plenty of snaps as I think we will play more man coverage.

IIRC, we had 3 CBs on the field more than 60% of the time last year, so really, it's like we're starting 3 CBs anyway. SAM was a rarity. Not saying things won't change, but I'd say we're in 5 DB situations even more this year with the quality of QBs improving substantially. 

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

How is he going to be a day one starter when Desir and Moore are the two outside starters. Now we will see if he is able to take over Wilson’s spot when Moore is in the slot. I don’t think he will this year. Maybe in the future. I do think he will get plenty of snaps as I think we will play more man coverage.

Moore played a lot in the slot... We will see 3 cbs very often. Wilson & Desir will be battling. Rock will find the field, trust me. 

I went starter - at some point -, but regarding CB's, it's difficult to define "starter". The Colts played a lot of soft zone last season, but I expect Eberflus to be more agressive, using more press and man concepts, whether it's straight press-man or a combination of man and zone. If that will be the case, I can see Ya-Sin to be used a lot in those situations.

18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I agree.  It’s going to take a little while. He’s not ready yet. But I do believe he will, in time, more than justify his being picked so high. Great future; he will just require a little patience. 

12 hours ago, Hoose said:

I agree.  It’s going to take a little while. He’s not ready yet. But I do believe he will, in time, more than justify his being picked so high. Great future; he will just require a little patience. 

he transitioned at light speed when he transferred to Temple. Not saying it will be that easy taking a step up to the NFL, but he's got the measurables.